Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Successful unrooting Tecno CX to take up OTA Update
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Successful unrooting Tecno CX to take up OTA Update

Successful unrooting Tecno CX to take up OTA Update

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
Techie Member
01-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Have any one been able to unroot CX and take up ota update without flashing stock rom. I failed, everytime there is ah update am forced to flash stock rom and restart updating version after version till reach the latest.

I root using option 1 as provided on this link https://www.hovatek.com/blog/choosing-ap...a-updates/

Sent from my TECNO Camon CX using Tapatalk
This post was last modified: 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM by dalid.daud.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
01-12-2017, 05:52 PM
(01-12-2017, 12:00 PM)dalid.daud Have any one been able to unroot CX and take up ota update without flashing stock rom. I failed, everytime there is ah update am forced to flash stock rom and restart updating version after version till reach the latest.

I root using option 1 as provided on this link https://www.hovatek.com/blog/choosing-ap...a-updates/

You'll at least need to flash stock boot and recovery then system if you'd made any changes there.
Refer to https://www.hovatek.com/blog/how-to-unro...ta-update/

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
Techie Member
02-12-2017, 07:41 AM
I have read it and it mainly focus on re flashing stock boot, recovery and system. From my understanding, for instance, my cx will take me to version 107 which is 5 OTAs away from latest V159. This is what I was trying to avoid, I want if I want to unroot I should do so but have same v159. I don't know if my point is correct. What am trying to avoid is the cost of data to update from v10u to v159. Last time I only tried to flash stock boot and recovery only and it didn't boot it stopped at tecno log. At that point the only way out is to root so asto patch boot.img. Thus being back to rooted device, no work done!

This post was last modified: 02-12-2017, 07:46 AM by dalid.daud.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-12-2017, 01:44 PM
(02-12-2017, 07:41 AM)dalid.daud I have read it and it mainly focus on re flashing stock boot, recovery and system. From my understanding, for instance, my cx will take me to version 107 which is 5 OTAs away from latest V159. This is what I was trying to avoid, I want if I want to unroot I should do so but have same v159. I don't know if my point is correct. What am trying to avoid is the cost of data to update from v10u to v159. Last time I only tried to flash stock boot and recovery only and it didn't boot it stopped at tecno log. At that point the only way out is to root so asto patch boot.img. Thus being back to rooted device, no work done!

In your case, you should backup your firmware before rooting so you can easily flash your backup then install the OTA update. After the OTA update, you backup again before rooting

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Or you just root using Magisk and hide root

Note!
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
Techie Member
02-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Does TWRP backup work in this case? This is the only backup I can think of because SP Tool readback had failed, miracle toool, I don't have box.

dalid.daud
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
Techie Member
02-12-2017, 03:13 PM
This is new to me, share the procedure.

hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-12-2017, 07:18 PM
(02-12-2017, 03:12 PM)dalid.daud Does TWRP backup work in this case? This is the only backup I can think of because SP Tool readback had failed, miracle toool, I don't have box.

A TWRP backup can work but the backup needs to be done before you flash supersu zip . This would mean that you'll just need to flash back stock recovery after restoring the TWRP backup. The tricky part is getting the stock recovery. This is where fastboot boot recovery.img comes into play because it doesn't overwrite stock recovery

Note!
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
dalid.daud
Techie Member
03-12-2017, 11:59 AM
I understand using fastboot boot recovery.img doesn't remove stock recovery, but am not sure what else get altered in the system that you can't take up OTA. Because last time I did OTA failed too.

hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
04-12-2017, 11:28 AM

(03-12-2017, 11:59 AM)dalid.daud I understand using fastboot boot recovery.img doesn't remove stock recovery, but am not sure what else get altered in the system that you can't take up OTA. Because last time I did OTA failed too.

When you root, the three partitions you'll likely alter are boot, recovery and system and all must be reverted to stock. System is altered by root apps you install
This post was last modified: 04-12-2017, 11:29 AM by hovatek.

Note!
Pages (2): 1 2 Next