Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Note 5: Troubleshooting Instability
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Note 5: Troubleshooting Instability

Note 5: Troubleshooting Instability

Crike
Crike
Crike
10-01-2018, 03:49 AM

BACKGROUND
I recently bought a Note 5 (SM-N920C), dirt cheap because it kept freezing and/or restarting shortly after booting into Android. No amount of factory resetting, partition wiping and firmware flashing did anything but make the issue worse. In the end even in recovery and while switched off but charging, the phone would freeze and/or restart. 

The full story is in a single thread on XDA. It gets interesting.
https:// forum.xda-developers.com/note5/help/freeze-restart-t3718887

The thing is, I was ready to send the Note 5 out to have its motherboard replaced, but:
1) even when the phone froze and/or restarted even while switched off and charging, the download mode would never freeze or restart. Odin mode was always rock solid;
2) from time to time, everything will just settle. No more crashing, everything smooth for days.
Which leaves me wondering if the problem is software after all. Whether the previous owner borked (data in) one of the partitions that doesn't get affected by normal flashing, but which some unknown process corrects from time to time but leaves pretty fragile.

CURRENT FOCUS
My phone is prone to crashing, due to causes I've yet to determine. Right now it's working smoothly.
First, I'd like a full backup of the EMMC in this smooth condition, modifying the phone as little as possible to prevent a recurrence of the instability.
By 2018, what's the easiest and most reliable way to backup and restore the full EMMC, every hidden partition included?
Second, I'd like to figure out what the actual cause is for the instability and resolve it.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
10-01-2018, 01:38 PM
(10-01-2018, 03:49 AM)Crike BACKGROUND
I recently bought a Note 5 (SM-N920C), dirt cheap because it kept freezing and/or restarting shortly after booting into Android. No amount of factory resetting, partition wiping and firmware flashing did anything but make the issue worse. In the end even in recovery and while switched off but charging, the phone would freeze and/or restart. 

The full story is in a single thread on XDA. It gets interesting.
https:// forum.xda-developers.com/note5/help/freeze-restart-t3718887

The thing is, I was ready to send the Note 5 out to have its motherboard replaced, but:
1) even when the phone froze and/or restarted even while switched off and charging, the download mode would never freeze or restart. Odin mode was always rock solid;
2) from time to time, everything will just settle. No more crashing, everything smooth for days.
Which leaves me wondering if the problem is software after all. Whether the previous owner borked (data in) one of the partitions that doesn't get affected by normal flashing, but which some unknown process corrects from time to time but leaves pretty fragile.

CURRENT FOCUS
My phone is prone to crashing, due to causes I've yet to determine. Right now it's working smoothly.
First, I'd like a full backup of the EMMC in this smooth condition, modifying the phone as little as possible to prevent a recurrence of the instability.
By 2018, what's the easiest and most reliable way to backup and restore the full EMMC, every hidden partition included?
Second, I'd like to figure out what the actual cause is for the instability and resolve it.

If you want to do a full backup then you would need a Box / Dongle.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Crike
Crike
Crike
10-01-2018, 05:23 PM
I don't have a dongle or box. How about the options laid out in your "[Tutorial] How to backup / dump an Android phone’s Boot, Recovery and System partition images"?
Does none of them offer full backup and restore possibilities? Have there been any advancements, tools or scripts made along those lines, since that thread was posted?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
11-01-2018, 09:49 AM
(10-01-2018, 05:23 PM)Crike I don't have a dongle or box. How about the options laid out in your "[Tutorial] How to backup / dump an Android phone’s Boot, Recovery and System partition images"?
Does none of them offer full backup and restore possibilities? Have there been any advancements, tools or scripts made along those lines, since that thread was posted?

You could also use that since it lists all partitions, your phone just needs to be rooted.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.