Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to use Smartphone (SP) Multiport Download tool
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to use Smartphone (SP) Multiport Download tool

[Tutorial] How to use Smartphone (SP) Multiport Download tool

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
29-06-2018, 07:44 PM

This is a step-by-step tutorial on how to flash stock rom to a Mediatek device using SP Multiport Download tool.

Requirements

If you get any error in SP Multiport Download tool before or during flashing then we have a comprehensive list of SP Multiport Download Tool errors to help you resolve the error message

How to use SP Multiport Download Tool

Follow the steps below to learn how to flash stock rom using SP Multiport Download Tool (SP_MDT)

See the video tutorial below or @ https://youtu.be/yslH3ito2lQ

1. Remove the battery from the phone and slot it back in without booting the phone (If the battery is inbuilt then simply switch if off)

2. Launch SP Multiport Download tool

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-1.jpg]

3. Click on "Scatter file" by the left hand side

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-2.jpg]

4. In the window that pops up, navigate to select the scatter file for your phone model then click Open (scatter file is a text file with the word "scatter" in its name )

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-3.jpg]

5. You can change the flash settings at the right hand side [this is optional, in my case using HIGH SPEED threw out an error while trying to flash so i selected FULL SPEED]

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-4.jpg]

6. Click on Scan

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-5.jpg]

7. The tool will prompt to reset all selected comport, Click Yes

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-6.jpg]

8. Connect the switched off phone (with battery inside) to the PC via USB cord without holding any button

9. You should see a green bar and a "Scan Success" message [This indicates the tool was able to successfully detected your device]

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-7.jpg]

10. Disconnect the phone

11. Click on Start

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-8.jpg]

12. re-Connect the switched off phone (with battery inside) to the PC via USB cord without holding any button

13. Wait while the tool flashes the ROM onto your device

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-9.jpg]

14. Once successful, you should see a "DL OK" and "PASS" message

[Image: How-to-use-SP-Multiport-Download-Tool-10.jpg]

15. Disconnect the phone, remove the battery for 15 seconds (if removable), slot it back in then power up the phone

16. Ensure to do a factory reset in recovery mode to clear any stuck at boot / bootloop errors

Important Notice
  • SP Multiport Download tool can flash upto 16 devices simutaneously but best you keep it to a minimum of 8 devices. All devices connect must be compatible with the firmware you're trying to flash
  • SP Multiport Download tool can not be used to flash single files such as recovery.img for that, you must use SP flash tool
  • Once SP Multiport Download tool has detected your device, avoid disconnecting till the task is complete as this might cause the phone to go dead
  • If you accidentally interrupted flashing and the phone went dead, follow this guide to revive the phone
  • SP Multiport Download tool requires a scatter file but not an internet connection. Scatter files are usually named something like MTxxxx_Android_scatter and are basically maps which contain addresses to which each file in your firmware should be flashed to.
  • Do not mistake scatter file for firmware / stock rom / flash file. A firmware contains several files, scatter file is just one of them so do not format when you have only  a scatter file
  • Depending on  the option you select in SP flash tool, you can flash with the battery inside the phone or removed (if removable). The default flash setting is with battery inside
  • SP Multiport Download tool is for flashing only scatter format firmware. It will not flash an OTA update.zip (even though that contains a scatter file) or a custom rom in flashable zip format.
  • Using a Miracle Box scatter file in SP flash tool might give an error. If your scatter file is from Miracle Box then use Miracle Box to flash. Scatter files made from other tools like Infinity Chinese Miracle 2, Wwr_MTK and NCK Pro box work fine
  • If you can, backup your firmware before flashing with SP Multiport Download tool. While trying to flash an incompatible firmware should give you an error, you might be unlucky enough to successfully flash the firmware for the wrong variant, resulting in a bricked phone
  • Avoid using a random scatter file (even though its for your chipset). Just because a scatter file is for your chipset doesn't mean it contains the same partition info. Force-flashing with a wrong scatter file could result in an overlap error or corrupted partition table.
  • If you do not wish to generate a Checksum file as requested by the tool then disable checksum under Option > DA Checksum > Disable Checksum

Video Transcript
Quote:In this video tutorial, I'll be explaining how to flash a Mediatek Android device using Smartphone Multiport download tool. First off, you need to have a Mediatek phone which you intend to flash. You also need to have the Smartphone Multiport Download tool. I have mine downloaded here.

You of course need to have the firmware which You intend to flash, I also have that here. Now, I should mention that you'll need to generate a checksum file for your firmware. We have a guide on how to do that so check it out. The reason why you need this checksum file is because the SP Multiport tool requires a checksum file to flash. Alright! So just generate the checksum file and make sure the checksum file is placed in the same directory as your other files OK?

Finally you need to have installed your Mediatek USB VCOM drivers. We have a guide on how to do that and also a video so make sure you check out our YouTube channel or our Forum and follow that guide. Now, once you have all these in place, the next thing You want to do is to launch the SP Multiport flash tool and you wait for the dashboard to come up okay? Great!

Now, usually you would find that this field is blank. I already loaded my scatter file so I'm going to walk you through that again. Now, this field is going to be blank so what You want to do is to click on Scatter File. Now, You navigate to the location of your firmware, You open the firmware folder and you select the scatter file and You click Open. That's going to load the scatter file.

Now, the next thing You want to do is to run a scan. That is to ensure that this tool can detect the device. OK, so You leave only this first item checked, You leave the rest unchecked and then You come down here and You click on Scan and then You click on Yes. Now, what You want to do is to power off the device, still with battery in it, don't hold any button then You connect it to the PC via a USB cord.

You're waiting for a Scan success message. Alright! So we have a detection. I'm going to disconnect the device. Now, I'm getting ready for flash. Now, the next thing You'll want to do at this point is to select your flash option. I'm going to go with Firmware Upgrade. You can select any option you want here. I'll just go with Firmware Upgrade. Its very important You understand that the Format Only option(s) just wipe they don't write so Firmware Upgrade will wipe and write.

Format and Download will wipe and write okay? so I'll just go with Firmware Upgrade. Alright! So I think I can leave all other settings here in place. So now the next thing You'll want to do is to click on Start and then You're going to reconnect the phone via a USB cord and then you just wait for the tool to flash okay? it's very important you do not interrupt the flashing process because if You do interrupt, the device could go dead and then You are going to have to keep charging till the phone comes up.

Now, if you happen to have a device with an inbuilt battery then you just have to keep charging because you can't easily remove the battery okay? But For someone like me who's using a removable battery, I can just take out the battery, re-insert and I'm good to go okay? But it could be quite a lengthy process (You know) getting your phone back up so to avoid having to go through that stress, just avoid interrupting the flashing process okay?

So just sit back and let SP Multiport do the flashing and once flashing is done you can disconnect and then You power up the device I should also mention that after you flash, you might have to do a factory reset on some devices. You might run into maybe the device being stuck at logo or something.

You might just have to do a factory reset anyway so just boot into recovery mode, wipe data & cache and then you can reboot. So I'm just going to wait for this tool to finish flashing okay? Yes! while I'm waiting (I also remembered another thing) Now, under this DA download all, for some people, they get errors when they use High Speed okay? So if you have or encounter an error when you're using High Speed, just tick Full Speed alright?

So I'm at 84% and fingers crossed should be rounding up anytime soon Alright! That's done so you can disconnect the device and power up. Don't forget to do the factory reset. So that's basically how to flash firmware to a Mediatek Android device using Smartphone Multiport Download tool
This post was last modified: 04-10-2019, 11:56 PM by X3non.
isyrecord
isyrecord
isyrecord
01-07-2018, 08:29 AM
I downloaded up to 3 SP Multiport Download Tool it us to complain invalid scatter file or scatter files isn't found in selected folder please what is the solution
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-07-2018, 11:10 AM
(01-07-2018, 08:29 AM)isyrecord I downloaded up to 3 SP Multiport Download Tool it us to complain invalid scatter file or scatter files isn't found in selected folder please what is the solution

Try v3.1820 @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-15612.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Alex5
Alex5
Alex5
Enthusiastic Member
21-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Hello. I want to repair my smartphone Ritmix RMP-391. I have no file "Checksum". When I click on "Scan" there is an inscription “Do not support scan comport by preloader. Please use empty device or press download key.” What I need to do?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
21-08-2018, 08:04 PM

(21-08-2018, 12:17 PM)Alex5 Hello. I want to repair my smartphone Ritmix RMP-391. I have no file "Checksum". When I click on "Scan" there is an inscription “Do not support scan comport by preloader. Please use empty device or press download key.” What I need to do?

you'll find fixes to the two errors at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-23312.html
Alex5
Alex5
Alex5
Enthusiastic Member
21-08-2018, 10:50 PM
(21-08-2018, 08:04 PM)X3non
(21-08-2018, 12:17 PM)Alex5 Hello. I want to repair my smartphone Ritmix RMP-391. I have no file "Checksum". When I click on "Scan" there is an inscription “Do not support scan comport by preloader. Please use empty device or press download key.” What I need to do?

you'll find fixes to the two errors at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-23312.html

I have made as you have advised and there was a new error (see screenshot). But I don't see in the folder 2 identical files "recovery", though the program indicates it.
This post was last modified: 21-08-2018, 11:35 PM by Alex5.
Attached Files
.jpg
Ritmix_4.jpg
Size: 251.17 KB / Downloads: 9
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
22-08-2018, 11:20 AM
(21-08-2018, 10:50 PM)Alex5

I have made as you have advised and there was a new error (see screenshot). But I don't see in the folder 2 identical files "recovery", though the program indicates it.

cut ramdisk-recovery.img out of the folder and retry generating the checksum.ini.
Alex5
Alex5
Alex5
Enthusiastic Member
22-08-2018, 12:48 PM
(22-08-2018, 11:20 AM)innagee
(21-08-2018, 10:50 PM)Alex5

cut ramdisk-recovery.img out of the folder and retry generating the checksum.ini.

Yes, I have made this. The file "Checksum" has been created. But when I click on "Start" everything freezes (see sreenshot). Why?
This post was last modified: 22-08-2018, 01:08 PM by Alex5.
Attached Files
.jpg
Ritmix_5.jpg
Size: 152.47 KB / Downloads: 5
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
23-08-2018, 12:05 PM
(22-08-2018, 12:48 PM)Alex5 Yes, I have made this. The file "Checksum" has been created. But when I click on "Start" everything freezes (see sreenshot). Why?

Please, create a new thread so we focus on it
see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
taplatt
taplatt
taplatt
06-05-2019, 07:30 AM

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1...sp=sharing | It says start but it's making no progress.
Pages (2): 1 2 Next