Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Please help] Unlocking bootloader when POWER-UP button doesn't work in fastboot
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Please help] Unlocking bootloader when POWER-UP button doesn't work in fastboot

[Please help] Unlocking bootloader when POWER-UP button doesn't work in fastboot

rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
21-09-2018, 08:10 AM

Hi,

I want to use a firmware (preloader, lk, etc.) from my device (VOYO Q101) as a starting point for porting (as base rom). Kernel: 3.10.65+, Lollipop 5.1. I want to port Nougat and/or Oreo systems.
The problem is that it cannot be unlocked, because the POWER-UP button (for confirmation) in fastboot mode does not work. The only way to unlock the bootloader is doing manually..... (HEX file?)

Here is the lk.bin: https://ufile.io/pgdlo
Can someone help me in this process, please? Without unlocking the bootloader I cannot boot any custom ROM I've made...
Device: (a chinese brand) - VOYO Q101 2GB/32GB-

Thanks!
This post was last modified: 21-09-2018, 08:31 AM by rauliordache.
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
21-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Or, I have another idea:

Having two OFFICIAL builds(firmware) for my device:
- the first one, 3.10.65+ kernel, with Lollipop 5.1 and
- the second one, 3.18.35+ kernel, with Nougat 7.0

1. The first build, has the bootloader locked, and in FastBoot, the volume-UP button doesn't work (for confirming the fastboot oem unlock)
2. The second build can be unlocked (the bootloader) - and thus custom ROMs can be booted.

I want to port some ROMs with 3.10.65+ (because all ROMs with 3.18.35+ have some problems on my device, some bugs maybe related to some libs? I dunno).
I have changed the partition layout (in porting files), and TWRP works great in flashing the new build (3.10.65+), but I got a bootloop.

Porting ROMs with the same kernel (3.18.35+) works "great", but have several bugs (related to vendor libs, GPS libs, and maybe even kernel). As the original ROM.

Porting ROMs with the 3.10.65+, even after changing the fstab, kernel (from boot.img) + partition layouts (in boot.img), cannot be booted.

The question is: Is it possible to have the second build flashed (which has another preloader + lk.bin) from 3.18.35+ - whos bootloader can be unlocked - , and then, using the files from the first build to port (and run) a ROM with kernel 3.10.65+ ? Or I am trying the "impossible" ? [Image: smile.gif]

In fact, I am not mixing "kernels" regarding boot.img. I am "mixing" a preloader+lk.bin (from one build, which runs Nougat, on 3.18.35+ kernel) with boot.img+system (based on 3.10.65+) (after changing the partitions names in whole boot.img, and thus, the success from TWRP flashing).
This post was last modified: 21-09-2018, 06:30 PM by rauliordache.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
21-09-2018, 10:56 PM
(21-09-2018, 08:10 AM)rauliordache Hi,

I want to use a firmware (preloader, lk, etc.) from my device (VOYO Q101) as a starting point for porting (as base rom). Kernel: 3.10.65+, Lollipop 5.1. I want to port Nougat and/or Oreo systems.
The problem is that it cannot be unlocked, because the POWER-UP button (for confirmation) in fastboot mode does not work. The only way to unlock the bootloader is doing manually..... (HEX file?)

Can someone help me in this process, please? Without unlocking the bootloader I cannot boot any custom ROM I've made...

Thanks!

continous pressing of vol up button worked for me, had to press vol up button more than ten times in total. maybe you can try that
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
22-09-2018, 03:19 PM
(21-09-2018, 10:56 PM)freshtyt
(21-09-2018, 08:10 AM)rauliordache Hi,

Thanks!

continous pressing of vol up button worked for me, had to press vol up button more than ten times in total. maybe you can try that

Unfortunately, I 've pressed fifty times .... doesn't work.

So, there are 2 solutions:
- to try to unlock the 3.10.65+, but I don't know how. Maybe directly changing the bytes from lk.bin ?
- to flash the unlockable bootloader (from 7.0, 3.18) and then.... to boot (somehow any 3.10.65+ system). Flashing is ok, I have solved the partition renaming.
This post was last modified: 22-09-2018, 03:25 PM by rauliordache.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
24-09-2018, 10:24 AM

(22-09-2018, 03:19 PM)rauliordache Unfortunately, I 've pressed fifty times .... doesn't work.

So, there are 2 solutions:
- to try to unlock the 3.10.65+, but I don't know how. Maybe directly changing the bytes from lk.bin ?
- to flash the unlockable bootloader (from 7.0, 3.18) and then.... to boot (somehow any 3.10.65+ system). Flashing is ok, I have solved the partition renaming.

- lk.bin doesn't get modified after unlocking so you wont be able to find bytes to change. you can properly test this by flashing the stock nougat firmware, unlock the nougat bootloader then reflash the stock lk.bin from the nougat firmware then check if the bootloader is now locked. 

- this one maybe might give you better luck. here, flash the stock lollipop firmware then flash lk.bin from stock nougat firmware. if everything works then unlock bootloader and see if unlocking works too
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
24-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Now I have done this:

- I have flashed the whole 7.0 ROM (3.18.35+)
- I have unlocked the bootloader + flashed TWRP
- I have tried (without luck) to boot, even the stock 3.10.65+ ROM (so, not a custom ROM).

The idea is that the partition name has been changed when flashing the 7.0. The fstab (cat /proc/partitions) looks like this:

/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/system /system ext4 ro wait,verify
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/userdata /data ext4  ....
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/cache /cache ext4 ...

In 5.1, there are:
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system /system ext4 ro wait,verify
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/userdata /data ext4  ....
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache /cache ext4 ...

Then, when I was porting the ROM (from any 3.10.65+ ROM):
- I have changed fstab files + any occurrences of /mtk-msdc.0/ by adding the "/11230000.msdc0" part
- I have changed the update-script, in order to be flashable via TWRP (else I got the error: "cannot mount, unknown partition bla bla").
Flashing, is ok. Booting ... not. It stucks at logo.

The idea is that I don't know if it needs some changes in the kernel. When porting, I have copied the kernel from my official 3.10.65+ ROM, but .... does it have any references to the partitions (names)? Because, in this case, everywhere it has /mtk-msdc.0/by-name (without "/11230000.msdc0") ....

I am not starting any porting (the every sense of the word) process until I successfully boot my stock 3.10 on the second build....
This post was last modified: 24-09-2018, 08:59 PM by rauliordache.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
25-09-2018, 05:57 PM
(24-09-2018, 08:44 PM)rauliordache Now I have done this:
I am not starting any porting (the every sense of the word) process until I successfully boot my stock 3.10 on the second build....

have you tried
flashing stock nougat rom using spft then boot to homescreen
then flash boot, recovery and system [no modifications] from lollipop rom using spft then perform factory reset in recovery mode then see if it can boot to homescreen?
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
27-09-2018, 08:28 PM
(25-09-2018, 05:57 PM)freshtyt
(24-09-2018, 08:44 PM)rauliordache Now I have done this:

have you tried
flashing stock nougat rom using spft then boot to homescreen
then flash boot, recovery and system [no modifications] from lollipop rom using spft then perform factory reset in recovery mode then see if it can boot to homescreen?

Yep, this is what I did in the last minutes:
- flashed Stock Nougat (3.18.35+) using SPFT, then boot, then unlock the bootlooader
- flashed boot + system (3.10.65+) using fastboot, because in SPFT we have an error (PMT changed for the ROM, so it needs a firmware upgrade, but we should avoid - we need just to flash (download the boot and system from the previous version)
- then, bootloop (after Logo, blackscreen, and again logo, etc.)
- entering in TWRP, wiped Data/System/Cache/Dalvik (factory reset): nothing changes, bootloop.

I want to mention that I did what you said (no modifications). But, I think it will never work (can't work), if I don't change the fstab file from boot.img (3.10.xx). Because the Nougat version has a changed partition system (in fact, just the names contain an additional string "/11230000.msdc0" ). Despite changing this (in the older boot.img), it wont boot. Even after replacing every symlink from init.rc files with the real (new) name.

It's strange .... So, to tell you again, in Nougat we have something like this:
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/system /system ext4 ro wait,verify

In 3.10 (Lollipop, which I want to run after unlocking the bootloader on the 3.18 system)
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system /system ext4 ro wait

I think it was enough just to add in the 3.10 boot the string "1123000.msdc0" for every partition (in all files: fstab, init.rc files, etc.). But it isn't. Does the kernel (from 3.10) - and in general - contain any references to device partitions? Because I didn't touch it. If it contains any references to the system partitions, then I need also to decompile it (somehow), and add also the string "11230000.msdc0"...
This post was last modified: 27-09-2018, 08:38 PM by rauliordache.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
28-09-2018, 08:32 PM
(27-09-2018, 08:28 PM)rauliordache ...
I think it was enough just to add in the 3.10 boot the string "1123000.msdc0" for every partition (in all files: fstab, init.rc files, etc.). But it isn't. Does the kernel (from 3.10) - and in general - contain any references to device partitions? Because I didn't touch it. If it contains any references to the system partitions, then I need also to decompile it (somehow), and add also the string "11230000.msdc0"...

mount points dont matter cause you flashed boot and system not like your flashing nougat boot with lollipop system or vice versa, clearly the both roms can't be interchanged
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
02-10-2018, 10:16 AM

I have some fresh news. I have flashed a ported ROM Nougat 7.1.2 via TWRP (with 3.10.65+ kernel), after flashing the stock 3.10.65+ ROM (yep, which has the bootloader locked).

It is stucked at logo image (so it is not booting) BUT:
- when I charge the device, it shows me a new UI (a new charger animation - so that system.img was flashed successfully, I think). It's a big step.
- after around 3 minutes I can have an adb connection from PC, but NOT adb shell. Adb logcat shows: ,,exec '/system/bin/sh' failed no such file or directory". I can use adb reboot (recovery/bootloader).

I really don't know if I need a custom kernel (but there is no source code for my chinese tab) in order to boot this system. I have simply copied the kernel from stock 3.10 ROM to the porting version - I've tried several ROMS compatible with my kernel + chipset (MT6753): AOSP versions, CM, Lineage, MIUI - ( + the modifications with file system table).

1. Changing the libandroid_servers.so ; libandroid_runtime; libmedia_jni (if I remember) didn't solve the problem
2. Changing libcam.parasmsgr also didn't solve the problem.

Could it be the problem, the state of "locked" bootloader? If I have successfully flashed the new custom firmware (via TWRP), I think that (the state of) the bootloader doesn't matter. Or it behaves like "dm-verity" on Nougat? I don't know if a locked bootloader JUST PREVENTS flashing a new system (which was passed via TWRP), or it also PREVENTS booting a new ROM (like dm-verity) - it checks some keys ... I don't know.

Could it be a lib problem? Also, if I needed a custom kernel, I guess that it wasn't possible to show the new UI (new charging animation). Am I wrong? Somewhere "hangs", but I think we are much more closer than flashing the 3.18 ROM, unlocking the bootloader and then "trying" to flash and boot the 3.10 custom ROM.
This post was last modified: 02-10-2018, 10:27 AM by rauliordache.