Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Flashing GApps in my rooted PowKiddy X18
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Flashing GApps in my rooted PowKiddy X18

Flashing GApps in my rooted PowKiddy X18

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Enthusiastic Member
09-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Hello, I'm an actual newbie in android software and just modifying any kind of software in general, so please forgive me if I sound confusing or if I don't understand what you are talking about and I ask you to repeat it in simpler terms, I just learned all these crazy words so I might be using/understanding them wrong, I also personally feel like I don't explain things very well, so again, please go easy on me

Now, my main problem is:

I can't flash GApps in my rooted PowKiddy X18. The main reason why I can't is there is no custom recovery for this device yet. Another reason is when I use a flashing app, even though I grant root access, when I click the button to flash and get asked to choose the .zip file, it can't seem to open up a list of directories so I can navigate to the file. I encountered the same problem when rooting with Magisk Manager, when asked to choose a boot.img to patch it opens up what seems like the app Gallery which means I can only choose pictures and videos. I still somehow managed to root though, I changed the boot.img's extension to .jpg, so I can choose it, which it did and I got the patched_boot.img I needed, although I was very nervous that it will not work and won't root my device, so I checked multiple times with multiple apps that can check root access and it seems like it worked somehow.

What do I do now?
This post was last modified: 21-12-2019, 03:14 PM by Vial Of Toxin.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
10-12-2019, 01:19 AM
(09-12-2019, 06:41 PM)Vial Of Toxin Hello, I'm an actual newbie in android software and just modifying any kind of software in general, so please forgive me if I sound confusing or if I don't understand what you are talking about and I ask you to repeat it in simpler terms, I just learned all these crazy words so I might be using/understanding them wrong, I also personally feel like I don't explain things very well, so again, please go easy on me

Now, my main problem is:

I can't flash GApps in my rooted PowKiddy X18. The main reason why I can't is there is no custom recovery for this device yet. Another reason is when I use a flashing app, even though I grant root access, when I click the button to flash and get asked to choose the .zip file, it can't seem to open up a list of directories so I can navigate to the file. I encountered the same problem when rooting with Magisk Manager, when asked to choose a boot.img to patch it opens up what seems like the app Gallery which means I can only choose pictures and videos. I still somehow managed to root though, I changed the boot.img's extension to .jpg, so I can choose it, which it did and I got the patched_boot.img I needed, although I was very nervous that it will not work and won't root my device, so I checked multiple times with multiple apps that can check root access and it seems like it worked somehow.
What do I do now?

you can port a custom recovery using either twrp tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html or philz tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21495.html

for the file selection menu problem, at the top left hand corner of the file selection menu, there's an option to use a different app to select the file
you can choose any file manager you have then use it to select the file you're looking for
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Enthusiastic Member
10-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Okay I've tried every single version of the the two auto recovery porters in those links. None of them worked for me. I even tried V1.5 of Auto TWRP recovery porter even if it's meant only for Android 9, when I flashed it the X18 didn't seem to like it, it wouldn't even boot anymore lol, I had to flash stock recovery back or else I've practically got a brick. Anyways, boot.img is already patched when I rooted with Magisk. All of the porters couldn't seem to all agree if there was DM_Verity or not, some said there is, some said there's none. I probably should have taken note of which did what and when than just saying some did this and some did that but I didn't feel like it, but if you tell me that I have to so I can tell you exactly which did which then I'll redo each and every one of them. This device came as Android 7.0, but could it be vbmeta that is the problem? IF so, how do I flash the empty vbmeta.img with SP Flash Tool? It's not in the scatter file is it?

As for selecting files, I've pressed everywhere on the screen and nothing happens. This seems to be a weird bug caused by the locked down android environment, because it's different on each app. Magisk opens Gallery, I pressed top left nothing happens, (I can't test this anymore now though since patched_boot.img is already flashed) FK Kernel Manager (which I had to pirate since no Play Store) specifically tells me that "this doesn't seem to work on your Android version", older versions would open a file selection menu but when I press the .zip file it says "Delete", others just don't do anything, most PDF readers have the same problem, thankfully I found one from F-Droid that didn't. Anyhow, this isn't particularly my main problem, but if it's the only way to get Google Apps then I guess it is.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
10-12-2019, 11:53 PM
(09-12-2019, 06:41 PM)Vial Of Toxin Hello, I'm an actual newbie in android software and just modifying any kind of software in general, so please forgive me if I sound confusing or if I don't understand what you are talking about and I ask you to repeat it in simpler terms, I just learned all these crazy words so I might be using/understanding them wrong, I also personally feel like I don't explain things very well, so again, please go easy on me

Now, my main problem is:

What do I do now?

have you tried using other zip flashing apps such as flashfire or flashify apk?
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Enthusiastic Member
11-12-2019, 10:44 AM

(10-12-2019, 01:19 AM)X3non
(09-12-2019, 06:41 PM)Vial Of Toxin Hello, I'm an actual newbie in android software and just modifying any kind of software in general, so please forgive me if I sound confusing or if I don't understand what you are talking about and I ask you to repeat it in simpler terms, I just learned all these crazy words so I might be using/understanding them wrong, I also personally feel like I don't explain things very well, so again, please go easy on me

Now, my main problem is:

What do I do now?

you can port a custom recovery using either twrp tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html or philz tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21495.html

for the file selection menu problem, at the top left hand corner of the file selection menu, there's an option to use a different app to select the file
you can choose any file manager you have then use it to select the file you're looking for

REPOSTING because I just learned how to properly reply, I'm really sorry I'm also new to this forum thing

Okay I've tried every single version of the the two auto recovery porters in those links. None of them worked for me. I even tried V1.5 of Auto TWRP recovery porter even if it's meant only for Android 9, when I flashed it the X18 didn't seem to like it, it wouldn't even boot anymore lol, I had to flash stock recovery back or else I've practically got a brick. Anyways, boot.img is already patched when I rooted with Magisk. All of the porters couldn't seem to all agree if there was DM_Verity or not, some said there is, some said there's none. I probably should have taken note of which did what and when than just saying some did this and some did that but I didn't feel like it, but if you tell me that I have to so I can tell you exactly which did which then I'll redo each and every one of them. This device came as Android 7.0, but could it be vbmeta that is the problem? IF so, how do I flash the empty vbmeta.img with SP Flash Tool? It's not in the scatter file is it?

As for selecting files, I've pressed everywhere on the screen and nothing happens. This seems to be a weird bug caused by the locked down android environment, because it's different on each app. Magisk opens Gallery, I pressed top left nothing happens, (I can't test this anymore now though since patched_boot.img is already flashed) FK Kernel Manager (which I had to pirate since no Play Store) specifically tells me that "this doesn't seem to work on your Android version", older versions would open a file selection menu but when I press the .zip file it says "Delete", others just don't do anything, most PDF readers have the same problem, thankfully I found one from F-Droid that didn't. Anyhow, this isn't particularly my main problem, but if it's the only way to get Google Apps then I guess it is.
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Enthusiastic Member
11-12-2019, 11:33 AM
(10-12-2019, 11:53 PM)freshtyt

Now, my main problem is:

What do I do now?

have you tried using other zip flashing apps such as flashfire or flashify apk?

Yes, Flashify and FK Kernel Manager had the same weird bug that wouldn't let me choose a .zip file to flash. Flashfire says "Root was found, but access could not be acquired", with Flash Gordon I had to ignore Safe Mode because it says the file "is not a valid flashable .zip file" without Safe Mode, it says "Flashing" for about 2 seconds then asks me to reboot but no GApps still[attachment=7321][attachment=7321]
This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 11:34 AM by Vial Of Toxin.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-12-2019, 01:04 AM
(11-12-2019, 10:44 AM)Vial Of Toxin Okay I've tried every single version of the the two auto recovery porters in those links. None of them worked for me. I even tried V1.5 of Auto TWRP recovery porter even if it's meant only for Android 9, when I flashed it the X18 didn't seem to like it, it wouldn't even boot anymore lol, I had to flash stock recovery back or else I've practically got a brick. Anyways, boot.img is already patched when I rooted with Magisk. All of the porters couldn't seem to all agree if there was DM_Verity or not, some said there is, some said there's none. I probably should have taken note of which did what and when than just saying some did this and some did that but I didn't feel like it, but if you tell me that I have to so I can tell you exactly which did which then I'll redo each and every one of them. This device came as Android 7.0, but could it be vbmeta that is the problem? IF so, how do I flash the empty vbmeta.img with SP Flash Tool? It's not in the scatter file is it?

you only need to try 3 of the porting tools, twrp v1.0 then twrp and philz tool latest versions
copy and rename your stock boot.img to recovery.img then retry these 3 particular versions, post the outcome
also not all versions of the tool have dm_verity checker and how to flash empty vbmeta is explained @ https://www.hovatek.com/blog/dm_verity-i...-bootloop/ ; but this only applies if your device has a vbmeta partition, you can check the scatter file you have if there's vbmeta. i doubt your device has vbmeta partition anyways
This post was last modified: 12-12-2019, 01:08 AM by X3non.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
15-12-2019, 07:08 PM
(11-12-2019, 11:33 AM)Vial Of Toxin Yes, Flashify and FK Kernel Manager had the same weird bug that wouldn't let me choose a .zip file to flash. Flashfire says "Root was found, but access could not be acquired", with Flash Gordon I had to ignore Safe Mode because it says the file "is not a valid flashable .zip file" without Safe Mode, it says "Flashing" for about 2 seconds then asks me to reboot but no GApps still

Upload your stock boot, recovery and scatter file then post the links here

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Vial Of Toxin
Enthusiastic Member
16-12-2019, 11:18 AM
(15-12-2019, 07:08 PM)hovatek
(11-12-2019, 11:33 AM)Vial Of Toxin Yes, Flashify and FK Kernel Manager had the same weird bug that wouldn't let me choose a .zip file to flash. Flashfire says "Root was found, but access could not be acquired", with Flash Gordon I had to ignore Safe Mode because it says the file "is not a valid flashable .zip file" without Safe Mode, it says "Flashing" for about 2 seconds then asks me to reboot but no GApps still

Upload your stock boot, recovery and scatter file then post the links here

Here it is https://mega.nz/#!CxUSjQhR!Fz1Eu_RIm5jlm...oMJDgTf0Ro
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-12-2019, 11:25 PM

(16-12-2019, 11:18 AM)Vial Of Toxin Here it is https://mega.nz/#!CxUSjQhR!Fz1Eu_RIm5jlm...oMJDgTf0Ro

Try these recoveries @ https://mega.nz/#!hP4RiQzD!kHqfFpwv_EWxT...0ovOC5Bzps and give feedback

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Pages (2): 1 2 Next