Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android about SDT
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

about SDT

about SDT

Pages (11): Previous 15 6 7 8 911 Next
Timmylog
Timmylog
Timmylog
Experienced Member
12-03-2020, 04:11 PM

Hi, pls if i lock my bootloader back and I use sp flash tool to flash the magisk patched IMG to the recovery partition, will it work?
Or the bootloader must be unlocked?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
13-03-2020, 11:34 AM
(12-03-2020, 04:11 PM)Timmylog Hi, pls if i lock my bootloader back and I use sp flash tool to flash the magisk patched IMG to the recovery partition, will it work?
Or the bootloader must be unlocked?

the outcome of this varies from device to device so for yours its unknown until you try it but if you wish to have a custom image on your phone with android 9, it's best that you have bootloader unlocked and dm_verity disabled (i.e flashing empty vbmeta)
Timmylog
Timmylog
Timmylog
Experienced Member
14-03-2020, 02:53 PM
While i was checking the Android open source project, i saw something about GSI which stands for generic system image, i'm sure you'll know everything about it. Anyway it works for treble supported phones and luckily for me, my Tecno pouvoir three air also supports it. The system image file can be flashed with two methods, custom recovery or fastboot. I'll be using fastboot so I don't have to worry about TWRP. My plan is that after flashing it to the system partition with either android 10gsi or Android 8gsi that is compatible with my phone, ill be able to flash magisk to the boot sector since those two Android version have ramdisk kernel in their boot partitions(I checked it on the aosp) and if it doesn't work I'll try doing the TWRP stuff on Android 8 GSI that I flash to my phone cause I don't like this Android 9and all it's restriction issues. So do you think it'll work
This post was last modified: 14-03-2020, 02:54 PM by Timmylog.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
14-03-2020, 06:48 PM
(14-03-2020, 02:53 PM)Timmylog ...My plan is that after flashing it to the system partition with either android 10gsi or Android 8gsi that is compatible with my phone, ill be able to flash magisk to the boot sector since those two Android version have ramdisk kernel in their boot partitions(I checked it on the aosp) and if it doesn't work I'll try doing the TWRP stuff on Android 8 GSI that I flash to my phone cause I don't like this Android 9and all it's restriction issues. So do you think it'll work

First, i hope you know that GSI roms doesn't guarantee full compatibility, you might encounter bugs while using a GSI rom because they're not built for a specific device unlike the past where custom roms were built for specific device (not that it prevented bugs anyways) but that's left for you to try and find out

No the above won't work because for GSI, you're only flashing a new system.img but still using your original boot
ofc there are GSI roms with inbuilt su root access i.e if you are looking for alternatives to magisk recovery and flashing a GSI should remove the recovery-from-boot.p (which causes recovery to revert back to stock upon booting to homescreen) ie if you wish to continue with magisk
about restrictions you mentioned, not sure what you mean by this but there's been worse restrictions on mtk device especially on oreo devices (on some it was impossible to root) but if you are referring to the your device restoring stock recovery thereby removing magisk recovery upon every boot. I believe it's all upto you, seeing as you're unwilling to try anything on your device for fear of bricking. all you need to do is use a file manager to remove or rename recovery-from-boot.p within /system ... reboot and see if your device still works fine

if you must make changes to your device such as rooting e.t.c then you must also prepare your mind that bricking the device is a possibility
This post was last modified: 14-03-2020, 06:51 PM by X3non.
Timmylog
Timmylog
Timmylog
Experienced Member
14-03-2020, 11:54 PM

Okay but is it still okay to flash an Android 10 GSI on my device? Cause my device is Android pie go version or the Android 10 GSI also needs to be go version?
If what i said above is possible, can i also undo the process by flashing my stock system image for my phone?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
16-03-2020, 09:33 AM
(14-03-2020, 11:54 PM)Timmylog Okay but is it still okay to flash an Android 10 GSI on my device? Cause my device is Android pie go version or the Android 10 GSI also needs to be go version?

use the app @ https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...reblecheck to check what your device will require, better still readup full info @ https://www.xda-developers.com/android-1...ct-treble/

(14-03-2020, 11:54 PM)Timmylog ...If what i said above is possible, can i also undo the process by flashing my stock system image for my phone?

Yes
Timmylog
Timmylog
Timmylog
Experienced Member
19-03-2020, 02:19 AM
I forgot to tell you that whenever i  flash the ported twrp to my device (using fastboot) and send a command using fastboot to reboot to recovery, it reboots and shows tecno then instead of it show the next logo called twrp it just sticks in the techno logo and the brightness gets to the highest and it just shows tecno like as if it successfully entered twrp but still showing the tecno logo so i decided to use sp flash tool but it asked for the auth file like the last time and i loaded it and did the flashing steps so it told me that invalid preloaded stuff like the first time i  did it and the phone went dead so i didn't freak out cause this kind of thing has happened once and itll  take two to three days for it to come on again. (3rd day will be tomorrow but if it doesn't on ill  give it to a technician to open the back cover and reinsert the battery) But what's the cause of the twrp issue cause that's how it does anytime i flash it with fastboot and is there a solution or i should just go try out philz porter and what's the problem with sp  flash tool and it asking for with file and my phone going dead when i try to flash it?
This post was last modified: 19-03-2020, 02:22 AM by Timmylog.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
19-03-2020, 12:18 PM
(19-03-2020, 02:19 AM)Timmylog I forgot to tell you that whenever i  flash the ported twrp to my device (using fastboot) and send a command using fastboot to reboot to recovery, it reboots and shows tecno then instead of it show the next logo called twrp it just sticks in the techno logo and the brightness gets to the highest and it just shows tecno like as if it successfully entered twrp but still showing the tecno logo so i decided to use sp flash tool but it asked for the auth file like the last time and i loaded it and did the flashing steps so it told me that invalid preloaded stuff like the first time i  did it and the phone went dead so i didn't freak out cause this kind of thing has happened once and itll  take two to three days for it to come on again. (3rd day will be tomorrow but if it doesn't on ill  give it to a technician to open the back cover and reinsert the battery) But what's the cause of the twrp issue cause that's how it does anytime i flash it with fastboot and is there a solution or i should just go try out philz porter and what's the problem with sp  flash tool and it asking for with file and my phone going dead when i try to flash it?

you already mentioned that twrp from v1.5 of the porting tool doesn't work for you @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-315...#pid187273 ; maybe you've forgotten
and somewhere along the line, i wrote this @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-315...#pid188381
for your phone going dead; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-808.html
Timmylog
Timmylog
Timmylog
Experienced Member
23-03-2020, 09:16 AM
But can I use philz recovery or there isn't Android 9 version for my device
This post was last modified: 23-03-2020, 09:17 AM by Timmylog.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
23-03-2020, 10:45 AM

(23-03-2020, 09:16 AM)Timmylog But can I use philz recovery or there isn't Android 9 version for my device

android 9 is not supported by our tool
Pages (11): Previous 15 6 7 8 911 Next