Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android How to install GSI treble in (MTK) Tecno Spark 4 KC8
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

How to install GSI treble in (MTK) Tecno Spark 4 KC8

How to install GSI treble in (MTK) Tecno Spark 4 KC8

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
26-05-2020, 05:01 PM

I have tried to install GSI AOSP and lineage Os 17.1 with no luck the only near success is a bootlop with dm_veriety the system is corrupted.
Flashed with adb fastboot.

What I have tried so far.
1.Tried to install Custom recovery TWRP with adb failed.
A.Tried to Port using TWRP auto Porter tool but it failed to Port it.
I followed this guide. https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html
B. Used MTK TWRP maker and what I achieved is bricking my phone flashed the recovery with software download tool, I followed the guide from XDA https://forum.xda-developers.com/android...81861/amp/
C.Tried to flash TWRP for MT6761 but bricked my phone also.
2. Tried to root the phone.
A.Tried to root the phone using magisk manager and patch boot.img but with no success of attained.
B.patched recovery.img and attained temp root but I couldn't even remove the blotwares jamming the phone[PENSIVE FACE].
3.With all the above I didn't forget to flash empty vbmeta.

Device Specs
Tecno spark 4 KC8
Chip MT6761 Helio A22
Android 9 pie
2Gb ram
32Gb rom.

Installed treble app and the device is supported but I don't know what I did wrong that I failed to install the GSI treble ROMs So I have decided to open this thread that I can get help from k using Hovatek Mobile
This post was last modified: 27-05-2020, 06:29 PM by Chuchu Kim.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
27-05-2020, 11:54 AM
(26-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Chuchu Kim I have tried to install GSI AOSP and lineage Os 17.1 with no luck the only near success is a bootlop with dm_veriety the system is corrupted.

Sent from my TECNO KC8 using Hovatek Mobile

you don't necessarily need twrp to flash gsi. flash empty vbmeta if required then the image file using fastboot then factory reset and reboot your device
Code:

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

if you're look for root or anything else then create a different thread to avoid mixup
tomron
tomron
tomron
27-05-2020, 04:42 PM
(26-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Chuchu Kim I have tried to install GSI AOSP and lineage Os 17.1 with no luck the only near success is a bootlop with dm_veriety  the system is corrupted.

B. Used MTK TWRP maker and what I achieved is bricking my phone flashed the recovery with software download tool, I followed the guide from XDA https://forum.xda-developers.com/android...81861/amp/
A.Tried to root the phone using magisk manager and patch boot.img but with no success of attained.
B.patched recovery.img and attained temp root but I couldn't even remove the blotwares jamming the phone[PENSIVE FACE].

Device Specs
Tecno spark 4 KC8
Chip MT6761 Helio A22
Android 9 pie
2Gb ram
32Gb rom.

Installed treble app and the device is supported but I don't what I do wrong that I fail to install the GSI treble ROMs So I have decided to open this thread that I can get help from devs and also I know it will help many MTK devices users especially Spark 4.

Thank you very much.

Same here on my Blackview BV9800:

I already managed to install TWRP and pached the boot with Magisk but beside this I encounter similar problems.
  • of course bootloader is unlocked
  • entire Stock ROM flashed via SP Flashtool
  • Stock recovery --> Factory reset
  • Either AOSP or Lineage 17.1 (both A-only) flashed to system partition, it makes no difference if I flash it via fastboot or SP Flashtool with the exception SP Flashtool is much faster and more conveniant to flash the phone.
  • it always results in a boot loop (AOSP and Lineage)
  • after only flashing Stock system.img to the system partition, the phone boots up normally 
PS: no there is no vbmeta partion on my phone and I tried to flash vbmeta.img to vbmeta partition via fastboot, it failed due to there is no vbmeta partition...
This post was last modified: 27-05-2020, 04:46 PM by tomron.
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
27-05-2020, 05:42 PM
(27-05-2020, 11:54 AM)X3non
(26-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Chuchu Kim
I have tried to install GSI AOSP and lineage Os 17.1 with no luck the only near success is a bootlop with dm_veriety  the system is corrupted.

you don't necessarily need twrp to flash gsi. flash empty vbmeta if required then the image file using fastboot then factory reset and reboot your device
Code:

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

if you're look for root or anything else then create a different thread to avoid mixup

I have done that as it was the first procedure that I used flashing the GSI by using fastboot but I couldn't get it working I just got bootlop.

The GSI rom I used where for arm32 bit with 64bit binder (a64) as for my device.

About root and TWRP it's a good suggestion I'll open another thread but on this thread for now focusing on installing GSI project treble is the goal.
Thank you

Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
27-05-2020, 05:47 PM

(27-05-2020, 04:42 PM)tomron
(26-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Chuchu Kim
I have tried to install GSI AOSP and lineage Os 17.1 with no luck the only near success is a bootlop with dm_veriety  the system is corrupted.

B.patched recovery.img and attained temp root but I couldn't even remove the blotwares jamming the phone😔.

Device Specs
Tecno spark 4 KC8
Chip MT6761 Helio A22
Android 9 pie
2Gb ram
32Gb rom.

Installed treble app and the device is supported but I don't what I do wrong that I fail to install the GSI treble ROMs So I have decided to open this thread that I can get help from devs and also I know it will help many MTK devices users especially Spark 4.

Thank you very much.

I already managed to install TWRP and pached the boot with Magisk but beside this I encounter similar problems.

• Either AOSP or Lineage 17.1 (both A-only) flashed to system partition, it makes no difference if I flash it via fastboot or SP Flashtool with the exception SP Flashtool is much faster and more conveniant to flash the phone.
  • after only flashing Stock system.img to the system partition, the phone boots up normally 
PS: no there is no vbmeta partion on my phone and I tried to flash vbmeta.img to vbmeta partition via fastboot, it failed due to there is no vbmeta partition...

I have tried to flash with SP but I can't flash anything with SP even with the DA file of the phone specific. Or even the official rom.

X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
28-05-2020, 10:16 AM
(27-05-2020, 05:42 PM)Chuchu Kim I have done that as it was the first procedure that I used flashing the GSI by using fastboot but I couldn't get it working I just got bootlop.

The GSI rom I used where for arm32 bit with 64bit binder (a64) as for my device.

About root and TWRP it's a good suggestion I'll open another thread but on this thread for now focusing on installing GSI project treble is the goal.
Thank you

we don't collect custom roms so you'll have to do your research on GSI and try as many as you can find

(27-05-2020, 05:47 PM)Chuchu Kim I have tried to flash with SP but I can't flash anything with SP even with the DA file of the phone specific. Or even the official rom.

flashing the same rom using SPft won't make any difference, if it doesn't work when you flashed using fastboot then it won't even if you flash using SPft
Timmylog
Timmylog
Timmylog
Experienced Member
25-07-2020, 06:19 PM
(26-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Chuchu Kim I have tried to install GSI AOSP and lineage Os 17.1 with no luck the only near success is a bootlop with dm_veriety  the system is corrupted.

Device Specs
Tecno spark 4 KC8
Chip MT6761 Helio A22
Android 9 pie
2Gb ram
32Gb rom.

Thank you very much.

Hey man,
From my experience with flashing gsi's, I feel that where you made a mistake was flashing an a-only gsi into your device cause my phone and yours have some things in common:
Same Android version:9.0
Same chipset:MT6761
Same partition style
Same cpu architecture
...And so on.
Anyway my point here is that you're supposed to use the ab partition style rom instead of a-only cause your device is Android 9 which means it uses system as root and it's required to have an ab gsi installed instead of a-only, regardless of the fact that Tecno put an a-only system image on our phones. About the cpu architecture, you're accurate so stick to the arm32 binder64 rom but just make sure it's the ab type you download. After downloading this, use fastboot to flash the system image if you don't have twrp or it's giving you issues. And for the record, fastboot is wayyy better than sp flash tool based on the fact that you don't need to be pressing any hardware buttons while flashing images. And you don't need the invaluable scatter file when using fastboot. And they are both fast so write speed is out of the question. Let me remind you that you need to disable dm verity by flashing an empty vb meta img check the website if you can find or lemme know if you need it from me personally.
You can also download the TREBLE INFO app made by HACKINTOSH 5 on Google play for more info about your device and you'll see I ain't lying. The other treble apps might give you erroneous info according to xda dev.
And make sure your bootloader's unlocked!
I believe that you'll successfully boot to OS with all this info I've given you.
theobawa
theobawa
theobawa
03-09-2020, 04:25 AM
(25-07-2020, 06:19 PM)Currently am using treble rom on my device and is kc8 I if you need guide message me on my channel on telegram t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFa5luY7pyvHavuarA
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20200903-041555.jpg
Size: 124.14 KB / Downloads: 40
moxiepro
moxiepro
moxiepro
14-09-2020, 07:21 PM
(03-09-2020, 04:25 AM)theobawa
(25-07-2020, 06:19 PM)Currently am using treble rom on my device and is kc8 I if you need guide message me on my channel on telegram t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFa5luY7pyvHavuarA
Hello theobawa, could you please show me how to install this rom on my kc8 too. Thanks. I already follow your channel
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
Chuchu Kim
01-10-2020, 07:17 AM

(25-07-2020, 06:19 PM)Timmylog
(26-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Chuchu Kim

B.patched recovery.img and attained temp root but I couldn't even remove the blotwares jamming the phone😔.

Device Specs
Tecno spark 4 KC8
Chip MT6761 Helio A22
Android 9 pie
2Gb ram
32Gb rom.

Thank you very much.

Hey man,
From my experience with flashing gsi's, I feel that where you made a mistake was flashing an a-only gsi into your device cause my phone and yours have some things in common:
Same Android version:9.0
Same chipset:MT6761
Same partition style
Same cpu architecture
...And so on.
Anyway my point here is that you're supposed to use the ab partition style rom instead of a-only cause your device is Android 9 which means it uses system as root and it's required to have an ab gsi installed instead of a-only, regardless of the fact that Tecno put an a-only system image on our phones. About the cpu architecture, you're accurate so stick to the arm32 binder64 rom but just make sure it's the ab type you download. After downloading this, use fastboot to flash the system image if you don't have twrp or it's giving you issues. And for the record, fastboot is wayyy better than sp flash tool based on the fact that you don't need to be pressing any hardware buttons while flashing images. And you don't need the invaluable scatter file when using fastboot. And they are both fast so write speed is out of the question. Let me remind you that you need to disable dm verity by flashing an empty vb meta img check the website if you can find or lemme know if you need it from me personally.
You can also download the TREBLE INFO app made by HACKINTOSH 5 on Google play for more info about your device and you'll see I ain't lying. The other treble apps might give you erroneous info according to xda dev.
And make sure your bootloader's unlocked!
I believe that you'll successfully boot to OS with all this info I've given you.

Hello! I successfully installed GSI on my TECNO KC8 and hear is what I did.

[NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]DISCLAIMER[/B]
1.do it at your own risk
2.backup your data

Quote:[NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]Things to have before installing treble gsi[/B]
1.Before doing anything first you must unlock bootloader of your device (If you'll flash gsi through twrp it's a must) do it even if you'll flash it via sp flash tool just to be safe.
2.Make sure you download an empty vbmeta file.
3.make sure you have the correct GSI.img specific for your device Arch and it's partitions.
Dowload treble check app in store or cpuz to know your cpu arch.( If your cpu is arm,arm32 binder 64 known as a64 or arm64 all this cpu's have two partitions either a or a/b where a/b partitions support seamless updates.
Quote:For [NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]KC8[/B][NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B] is [/B][NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]a64ab[/B][NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B] or [/B][NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]a64b[/B] so choose this gsi it would work.
4.twrp auto porter you'll find it in hovatek and procedures on how to use it.
5.sp flash tool
6.official firmware or full firmware backup of your device.

Let's get on with it now.

[NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]Using TWRP[/B]
Using TWRP is a bit tricky but here is what to do.
1.Before you do anything first you must unlock bootloader and then disable dm_variety so to avoid any bootloop issue follow the guide bellow:
https://www.hovatek.com/blog/dm_verity-i...-bootloop/

2.Port your twrp follow every procedure on this guide:
https://www.hovatek.com/blog/auto-twrp-p...-spd-v1-4/

3.after porting TWRP then flash it via fastboot or sp flash tool.if it works you did everything right now we have another problem that you won't be able to flash anything without facing an error and installation failed message. This is because your phone is encrypted now let's unencrypted it.
4.We need to root the device but we can only attain a temp root that's enough for now.
   a.to gain temporary root follow the procedure below it works on KC8

https://www.hovatek.com/blog/how-to-gain...rk-go-kc1/
   b.after doing so download any root explorer app that has an text editor (download it 1st)
   c.after installing the temp root boot your device into recovery mode it will start normal but this will activate root.
  d.to unecrypt the phone follow procedure.

https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-30160.html
e.re-flash or reinstall official boot.img and recovery.img
  f.re-flash back TWRP now it would work.
5.wipe data and restart to recovery then wipe system.
6.flash gsi of your choice but make sure you the correct one.

[NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]Using [/B][NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]Sp[/B][NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B] flash tool or fastboot[/B]
1.unlock bootloader ( find method in google or havotek)
2.format phone using fastboot or factory reset will be fine but format is more precise.(find method in google)
3.flash empty vbmeta very important so that you don't end in bootloop (find it in hovatek)
4.flash GSI.img of your choice through SP FLASH TOOL or Fastboot method but be keen on Arch and partition type.
5. Restart device and wait.

[NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]NOTE[/B]:
MAKE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT GSI for your phone type go to the below site and read to know more about gsi treble project so that you get a glimy lf what your doing. https://source.android.com/setup/build/gsi

Thank you and I hope this is helpful.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next