Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Development] How to root Unisoc | Spreadtrum Android 9; Case study: Teclast P80X
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Development] How to root Unisoc | Spreadtrum Android 9; Case study: Teclast P80X

[Development] How to root Unisoc | Spreadtrum Android 9; Case study: Teclast P80X

Pages (11): Previous 14 5 6 7 811 Next
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
27-08-2020, 09:40 AM

(26-08-2020, 02:15 PM)Ejike Dex Hello guys, so after a 2 weeks long course of trial and error, I have finally been able to root my android 9 pie unisoc device ( Itel S15), following the threads and steps you outlined problem is just as you said it's a temporary root and I am required to always repeat step 7 to regain root after a reboot.

My present dilemma is, I am trying to install Xposed framework and it's modules, and they require me to reboot the phone after each install. So now I am considering trying the Magisk Canary version patch method in an attempt to get permanent root.

I want to ask:
1, will  I be required to sign the Magisk Canary version patched recovery image before I flash it?
2, Do I just reboot immediately after flashing it, Turn the phone of and reboot into recovery or do step 7 all over again?

Thanks

first, for attempt at permanent root, you're to patch boot not recovery using either magisk manager or magisk canary (whichever one works fine for your device)

1. yes, you need to sign any image you plan to flash or the device will reject the image
2. if boot is patched then you don't need to boot into recovery to get su permissions
Ejike Dex
Ejike Dex
Ejike Dex
Enthusiastic Member
27-08-2020, 03:01 PM
(27-08-2020, 09:40 AM)X3non
(26-08-2020, 02:15 PM)Ejike Dex Hello guys, so after a 2 weeks long course of trial and error, I have finally been able to root my android 9 pie unisoc device ( Itel S15), following the threads and steps you outlined problem is just as you said it's a temporary root and I am required to always repeat step 7 to regain root after a reboot.

My present dilemma is, I am trying to install Xposed framework and it's modules, and they require me to reboot the phone after each install. So now I am considering trying the Magisk Canary version patch method in an attempt to get permanent root.

I want to ask:
1, will  I be required to sign the Magisk Canary version patched recovery image before I flash it?
2, Do I just reboot immediately after flashing it, Turn the phone of and reboot into recovery or do step 7 all over again?

Thanks

first, for attempt at permanent root, you're to patch boot not recovery using either magisk manager or magisk canary (whichever one works fine for your device)

1. yes, you need to sign any image you plan to flash or the device will reject the image
2. if boot is patched then you don't need to boot into recovery to get su permissions

Ok, but my phone is a 9 pie and you wrote this in the first page  :

Quote:Unisoc devices running android 9 (pie) use system_as_root so you're to patch recovery.img and no longer boot.img
This post was last modified: 27-08-2020, 03:27 PM by Ejike Dex.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
28-08-2020, 09:26 AM
(27-08-2020, 03:01 PM)Ejike Dex ...

at the time of writing the original guide (which is a long time ago) android 9 with system_as_root could only be rooted by patching recovery because boot has an empty ramdisk. from then till now, changes have been made to magisk to accommodate this which is the reason for posting this @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-326...#pid200096
also notice in the important notice section on page 1, first hint also tells magisk canary was able to give root by patching boot...
Ejike Dex
Ejike Dex
Ejike Dex
Enthusiastic Member
28-08-2020, 05:03 PM
(28-08-2020, 09:26 AM)X3non
(27-08-2020, 03:01 PM)Ejike Dex ...

at the time of writing the original guide (which is a long time ago) android 9 with system_as_root could only be rooted by patching recovery because boot has an empty ramdisk. from then till now, changes have been made to magisk to accommodate this which is the reason for posting this @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-326...#pid200096
also notice in the important notice section on page 1, first hint also tells magisk canary was able to give root by patching boot...

Thanks a lot, for the help so far. So I tried signing the Canary patched boot image using the command below:

Python avbtool add_hash_footer --image magisk_patched.img --partition_name boot --partition_size 36700160 --key rsa4096_vbmeta.pem --algorithm SHA256_RSA4096    

only after I had gotten the original boot image's info using: python avbtool info_image --image boot.img

The result I got when I compared them were slightly different and so needless to say when I tried flashing I got stuck on "writing boot..."

See code info comparison below:

[Image: SKqWoky.png]
Ejike Dex
Ejike Dex
Ejike Dex
Enthusiastic Member
28-08-2020, 06:57 PM

Please disregard the previous post. I forgot to sign the boot partition using the signed vbmeta generated using the hovatek.bin key.

I have successfully gotten around getting it to work, and my phone is now permanently rooted.

I only left the previous post because it can be educationally beneficial to someone else.

Thanks a lot, you guys rock.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
30-08-2020, 07:22 AM
(28-08-2020, 06:57 PM)Ejike Dex I forgot to sign the boot partition using the signed vbmeta generated using the hovatek.bin key.

Exactly!

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
ch3mn3y
ch3mn3y
ch3mn3y
Enthusiastic Member
18-09-2020, 08:18 PM
One question. When You used Canary patched boot.img, You signed the image before or after patch?

I'm asking coz I can patch boot image, but not magisk patched one. I used latest canary MAGISK, as that's one I have on my phone.

Ofc I have different device (P20HD) with newer Android (10), but it's same SoC.
This post was last modified: 18-09-2020, 08:19 PM by ch3mn3y.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-09-2020, 12:50 PM
(18-09-2020, 08:18 PM)ch3mn3y One question. When You used Canary patched boot.img, You signed the image before or after patch?

I'm asking coz I can patch boot image, but not magisk patched one. I used latest canary MAGISK, as that's one I have on my phone.

Ofc I have different device (P20HD) with newer Android (10), but it's same SoC.

I signed after patch. Try going with recovery instead of boot

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
bsheepdiy
bsheepdiy
bsheepdiy
27-09-2020, 04:54 PM
Hello,

I 've patched the 3 partitions :

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta-sign-custom.img
target didn't report max-download-size
sending 'vbmeta' (1024 KB)...
OKAY [  0.048s]
writing 'vbmeta'...
OKAY [  0.362s]
finished. total time: 0.410s
jerome@jerome:~/sandbox/teclast/etape3$ fastboot flash recovery magisk_patched_recovery-signed.img
sending 'recovery' (40960 KB)...
OKAY [  1.951s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.563s]
finished. total time: 3.514s
jerome@jerome:~/sandbox/teclast/etape3$ fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-signed.img
sending 'boot' (35840 KB)...
OKAY [  1.723s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  1.398s]
finished. total time: 3.121s

But now i'm stuck at bootscreen :
INFO: LOCK FLAG IS : UNLOCK!!!
WARNING: LOCK FLAG IS UNLOCK, SKIP VERIFY!!!

I've tried RESET PIN and POWERDOWN, and leave powerdown but I return to the previous bootscreen.
Each combination key is used (volume down and power or reset pin and power down) return to bootscreen ...
How can I enter in fastboot or download mode to restore partition backup ?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
28-09-2020, 09:35 AM

(27-09-2020, 04:54 PM)bsheepdiy ...

Create a new thread for your device issue by clicking "Ask Question" at the top
This post was last modified: 28-09-2020, 08:27 PM by hovatek.
Pages (11): Previous 14 5 6 7 811 Next