Hovatek Forum HARDWARE Repairs [Please help] IDE drive as slave to sata drive
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] IDE drive as slave to sata drive

[Please help] IDE drive as slave to sata drive

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
07-11-2015, 03:34 PM

NF61s micro AM2 se motherboard
Hey guys so i have overclocked my windsor,added a gpu maxed the ram and have win7 ultimate
Now i have a sata as my main drive and trying to add a secondary but an IDE drive,as you know the board has ide port,bios sees ide drive,win7 even installs drivers,speccy shows it but i dont see it under my computer.What the hell?I have connected it with a ide cable and its in slave mode,the cdrom is also on ide cable which the bios shows,Why cant i access or see it under my computer?Bios shows it as slave.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
(07-11-2015, 03:34 PM)codyseth NF61s micro AM2 se motherboard
Hey guys so i have overclocked my windsor,added a gpu maxed the ram and have win7 ultimate
Now i have a sata as my main drive and trying to add a secondary but an IDE drive,as you know the board has ide port,bios sees ide drive,win7 even installs drivers,speccy shows it but i dont see it under my computer.What the hell?I have connected it with a ide cable and its in slave mode,the cdrom is also on ide cable which the bios shows,Why cant i access or see it under my computer?Bios shows it as slave.

* do you see the CD-ROM in my computer?

* is the HDD that is connected to IDE formatted/partitioned?
** goto Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk management
check if the HDD is listed there.. if it's listed there,
1. it might require that you create a new partition so it can appear in my computer
2. it may have been partitioned already but might not have a drive letter as such it wont appear in my computer so assign a drive letter
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
08-11-2015, 02:52 PM
I have tried the disk manager route and i see it but cant initialize it so that i can format it and yes i do see the cd rom,Its a st3250823A drive ,i tried mini partition wizard and it shows bad disk
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
08-11-2015, 03:53 PM
(08-11-2015, 02:52 PM)codyseth I have tried the disk manager route and i see it but cant initialize it so that i can format it and yes i do see the cd rom,Its a st3250823A drive ,i tried mini partition wizard and it shows bad disk

Bad disk.. Are you sure the hdd is good?
Try this
Disconnect your main HDD (sata)
Make the ide master
Make the CD ROM slave
Insert a windows CD.. Boot from CD ROM
If the HDD is good, it should show up in the course of trying to install an OS and you should be able to format but no need of installing the OS
If the format was successful then reconnect ask the drives back as it should be (ie including the sata as master)
Boot the PC and see if you can format the HDD under disk management

On the other hand if the HDD doesn't show up during the course of trying to install an OS then you should consider getting a new HDD
This post was last modified: 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM by hovatek.
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
08-11-2015, 05:16 PM

Will try
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
09-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Drive is dead,so much for a freebie .Thanks for your help,tried Seagate Diagnostc tools and it failed all tests.
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
11-11-2015, 01:38 AM
Decided not to give up yet,going to try your installing os method,do you think a drive can be dead if bios sees it and windows installs the drivers?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
11-11-2015, 08:50 AM
(11-11-2015, 01:38 AM)codyseth Decided not to give up yet,going to try your installing os method,do you think a drive can be dead if bios sees it and windows installs the drivers?

if windows could be loaded on the drive then it isnt dead.. but doesn't mean the drive can't be bad (worn-out).. try the method lets see what happens
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
12-11-2015, 12:33 AM
You not going to believe this.I have revived my hardrive with an application called hardrive regenerator,it worked like magic although it took 9 hours to finish because i chose to play it safe.The faster route would have taken about 2 hours.Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though,I didn't even know about disk management and stuff.My drive working like brand new.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-11-2015, 09:28 AM

(12-11-2015, 12:33 AM)codyseth You not going to believe this.I have revived my hardrive with an application called hardrive regenerator,it worked like magic although it took 9 hours to finish because i chose to play it safe.The faster route would have taken about 2 hours.Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though,I didn't even know about disk management and stuff.My drive working like brand new.

so i guess the HDD is now showing in my computer?
Pages (2): 1 2 Next