Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to fix ERROR: Zero file, no space left on device! in MTK droid tools
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to fix ERROR: Zero file, no space left on device! in MTK droid tools

[Tutorial] How to fix ERROR: Zero file, no space left on device! in MTK droid tools

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
08-08-2015, 04:24 PM

You might come across this error while attempting to backup your phone using MTK droid tools.  What this error means is that there's no more space left on the device being backed up.

Why do I need space on the device if i'm backing it up to my PC?

During backup, MTK droid tools makes two backups; an MTK droid tools backup to the /backups folder on the PC and a Nandroid backup to the /clockworkmod/backup folder on the phone's SD card / Phone storage.

As a rule of thumb, ensure to have at least 15 GB free on the PC, 4GB free on both SD card and Phone storage (some phones require up to 10 GB free space) before backing up using MTK droid tools. 
If the error persists then Install Busybox on the phone (it requires two installation steps) and restart both the phone and MTK droid tools.

[Image: no-space-left-on-device-MTK-droid-tools.png]
This post was last modified: 30-05-2018, 03:43 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
mboy13
mboy13
mboy13
12-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Try doing dis on d new hot2 android one, having 7gb free space bt asking for abt 9gb space. Cos even wen i try doing d stock rom backup using recovery mode, it stil requires for almst 10gb free space on sd card. So i mst advice to re edit d thread cos on latest os, free space needed bfor backup cn be done is 10gb free on sdcard. Hav confirmed it.
Despite i install, busybox, i freed up my 7gb sdcard bt yet cnt stim do a backup, stil require more space.
Will giv screenshot tomorw.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
13-09-2015, 08:29 PM
(12-09-2015, 10:26 PM)mboy13 Try doing dis on d new hot2 android one, having 7gb free space bt asking for abt 9gb space. Cos even wen i try doing d stock rom backup using recovery mode, it stil requires for almst 10gb free space on sd card. So i mst advice to re edit d thread cos on latest os, free space needed bfor backup cn be done is 10gb free on sdcard. Hav confirmed it.
Despite i install, busybox, i freed up my 7gb sdcard bt yet cnt stim do a backup, stil require more space.
Will giv screenshot tomorw.

thanks for this info. article updated!

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
wertz
wertz
wertz
Enthusiastic Member
20-01-2016, 05:20 PM
hi is there an update regarding this issue? i also have the same "zero file, no space left on device!" problems on my Android Lollipop 5.1. already checked i have space in phone storage and sdcard, also tried switching between default write disks.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
20-01-2016, 08:27 PM

(20-01-2016, 05:20 PM)wertz hi is there an update regarding this issue? i also have the same "zero file, no space left on device!" problems on my Android Lollipop 5.1. already checked i have space in phone storage and sdcard, also tried switching between default write disks.

What phone model

Note!
wertz
wertz
wertz
Enthusiastic Member
20-01-2016, 09:20 PM
(20-01-2016, 08:27 PM)hovatek
(20-01-2016, 05:20 PM)wertz hi is there an update regarding this issue? i also have the same "zero file, no space left on device!" problems on my Android Lollipop 5.1. already checked i have space in phone storage and sdcard, also tried switching between default write disks.

What phone model

its a local brand, Cherry Mobile Flare S3 Power, based off Mt6592M running android 5.1. it has some sort of unified storage(/data and internal sdcard share the same storage) if it matters.

heres the log file
Attached Files
.txt
log.txt
Size: 7.5 KB / Downloads: 7
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
21-01-2016, 03:39 PM
(20-01-2016, 09:20 PM)wertz its a local brand, Cherry Mobile Flare S3 Power, based off Mt6592M running android 5.1. it has some sort of unified storage(/data and internal sdcard share the same storage) if it matters.

heres the log file

Have you been able to create a scatter file using MTK droid tools?

Note!
wertz
wertz
wertz
Enthusiastic Member
22-01-2016, 04:10 AM
(21-01-2016, 03:39 PM)hovatek
(20-01-2016, 09:20 PM)wertz its a local brand, Cherry Mobile Flare S3 Power, based off Mt6592M running android 5.1. it has some sort of unified storage(/data and internal sdcard share the same storage) if it matters.

heres the log file

Have you been able to create a scatter file using MTK droid tools?

hi. thanks for the reply. Yes, i am able to create the scatter file. i am able to create rom dump in spflashtool with it, but preloader and dsp was not created, thats why i thought of using mtkdroidtool's backup option, but it just gives me that "zero file" error message when extracting preloader too. already tried switching between phone storage and sdcard as default write disk it seems not to work, it always makes the clockwork folder on sdcard no matter which write disk it is set and my sdcard has 12GB free on it.

i thought that error was caused because looking at scatter file, preloader is in different "region" as the other partitions are, but a friend of mine, which has a similar structure seems to have no problems making backup. is it possible mine failed because it has full lollipop-type partition including an FRP part?

i've dealth with mtk droid tools, spflash and mediatek devices before but i haven't had experience with this error but those were at most kitkat versions.

thanks for any help you can give.
This post was last modified: 22-01-2016, 04:11 AM by wertz. Edit Reason: wrong FRP label part
Attached Files
.txt
MT6592_Android_scatter.txt
Size: 7.48 KB / Downloads: 6
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-01-2016, 01:38 PM
(22-01-2016, 04:10 AM)wertz hi. thanks for the reply. Yes, i am able to create the scatter file. i am able to create rom dump in spflashtool with it, but preloader and dsp was not created, thats why i thought of using mtkdroidtool's backup option, but it just gives me that "zero file" error message when extracting preloader too. already tried switching between phone storage and sdcard as default write disk it seems not to work, it always makes the clockwork folder on sdcard no matter which write disk it is set and my sdcard has 12GB free on it.

i thought that error was caused because looking at scatter file, preloader is in different "region" as the other partitions are, but a friend of mine, which has a similar structure seems to have no problems making backup. is it possible mine failed because it has full lollipop-type partition including an FRP part?

i've dealth with mtk droid tools, spflash and mediatek devices before but i haven't had experience with this error but those were at most kitkat versions.

Let me see a screenshot of SP flash tool when the error pops up

Note!
wertz
wertz
wertz
Enthusiastic Member
22-01-2016, 02:54 PM

(22-01-2016, 01:38 PM)hovatek
(22-01-2016, 04:10 AM)wertz hi. thanks for the reply. Yes, i am able to create the scatter file. i am able to create rom dump in spflashtool with it, but preloader and dsp was not created, thats why i thought of using mtkdroidtool's backup option, but it just gives me that "zero file" error message when extracting preloader too. already tried switching between phone storage and sdcard as default write disk it seems not to work, it always makes the clockwork folder on sdcard no matter which write disk it is set and my sdcard has 12GB free on it.

Let me see a screenshot of SP flash tool when the error pops up

spflashtool don;t give error. it is able to creates all partitions but no preloader.bin. its mtkdroidtools that gives zero error as posted in my attachments and don't even make any partition backups or img.
Pages (2): 1 2 Next