Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android HTC One M8 TWRP Restore Error 255
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

HTC One M8 TWRP Restore Error 255

HTC One M8 TWRP Restore Error 255

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
bef349
bef349
bef349
Enthusiastic Member
31-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Friends,

I recently took a full backup of my HTC One M8 and thought all was well. I tried to flash a Marshmellow rom on it but it failed (i suspect this had to do with the fact I was on KitKat 4.4.2).

So naturally I attempted to restore the backup I took but I keep getting 'extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255'

I have attempted the tutorial found here -- https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-15953.html -- but this solution does not work for me

I do have a backup from 2014 I am currently using but of course all my data is not current or accurate. I tried to browse the backup in Titanium Backup and while it recognizes the backup, there is nothing listed under apps + data or data only.

I also tried to extract the backup via Cygwin but it also fails to extract the data.

What solutions have people tried to successfully restore the data partition or be able to browse it in Titanium Backup?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
31-01-2017, 10:05 AM
(31-01-2017, 04:22 AM)bef349 Friends,

I recently took a full backup of my HTC One M8 and thought all was well. I tried to flash a Marshmellow rom on it but it failed (i suspect this had to do with the fact I was on KitKat 4.4.2).

So naturally I attempted to restore the backup I took but I keep getting 'extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255'

I have attempted the tutorial found here -- https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-15953.html -- but this solution does not work for me

I do have a backup from 2014 I am currently using but of course all my data is not current or accurate. I tried to browse the backup in Titanium Backup and while it recognizes the backup, there is nothing listed under apps + data or data only.

I also tried to extract the backup via Cygwin but it also fails to extract the data.

What solutions have people tried to successfully restore the data partition or be able to browse it in Titanium Backup?

The problem is with restoring data.
As a test, untick data and try restoring other partitions
waiting....

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
bef349
bef349
bef349
Enthusiastic Member
31-01-2017, 03:43 PM
(31-01-2017, 10:05 AM)hovatek
(31-01-2017, 04:22 AM)bef349 Friends,

The problem is with restoring data.
As a test, untick data and try restoring other partitions
waiting....

havotek -- appreciate your response

I have attempted that but I also get the same error trying to restore the system partition. All i need to get to is the data in the data portion of the backup. Text messages, contacts, and photos is all I need.

What other options may I have?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
01-02-2017, 11:27 AM
(31-01-2017, 03:43 PM)bef349 havotek -- appreciate your response

I have attempted that but I also get the same error trying to restore the system partition. All i need to get to is the data in the data portion of the backup. Text messages, contacts, and photos is all I need.

What other options may I have?

Three tests:

Test 1. Under Mounts, untick all entries then re-tick and try restoring again.
Test 2. Copy this backup to your PC then make a fresh backup and try to restore it. If its successful then the TWRP isn't the problem
Test 3. Try extracting the data in the TWRP backup using 7zip
waiting...
This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 11:29 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
bef349
bef349
bef349
Enthusiastic Member
01-02-2017, 04:37 PM

(01-02-2017, 11:27 AM)hovatek Three tests:

Test 1. Under Mounts, untick all entries then re-tick and try restoring again.
Test 2. Copy this backup to your PC then make a fresh backup and try to restore it. If its successful then the TWRP isn't the problem
Test 3. Try extracting the data in the TWRP backup using 7zip
waiting...

Test 1. Failed. Error 255.
Test 2. I have successfully created a separate backup and restored it so TWRP is not the issue.
Test 3. I have tried extracting the first backup I took using 7zip but it does not successfully extract, nor is everything there.

So here is what I have learned ... my backup is corrupt! I created the backup on an external 16gb sd card. This sd card must have been corrupted.

I do remember running the wipe option in TWRP either once or twice before several restores. Right now, I have restored my phone to a backup from 2014 which is, of course, outdated.

The only important information I would like to get back are my photos and videos from my camera roll.

What are the odds of me being able to recover this data? I would need to image my phone entirely and run photorec on that image.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, what is the best way to image my phone so that I can process it in photorec?

Many thanks!
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-02-2017, 10:44 AM
(01-02-2017, 04:37 PM)bef349 Test 1. Failed. Error 255.
Test 2. I have successfully created a separate backup and restored it so TWRP is not the issue.
Test 3. I have tried extracting the first backup I took using 7zip but it does not successfully extract, nor is everything there.

So here is what I have learned ... my backup is corrupt! I created the backup on an external 16gb sd card. This sd card must have been corrupted.

I do remember running the wipe option in TWRP either once or twice before several restores. Right now, I have restored my phone to a backup from 2014 which is, of course, outdated.

The only important information I would like to get back are my photos and videos from my camera roll.

What are the odds of me being able to recover this data? I would need to image my phone entirely and run photorec on that image.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, what is the best way to image my phone so that I can process it in photorec?

Many thanks!

Yes, your backup is indeed corrupted and you'll need a data recovery software.
I've never used Photorec but found a Wiki on it @ http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Note!
bef349
bef349
bef349
Enthusiastic Member
02-02-2017, 09:26 PM
(02-02-2017, 10:44 AM)hovatek Yes, your backup is indeed corrupted and you'll need a data recovery software.
I've never used Photorec but found a Wiki on it @ http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

What software would you recommend? Also, what is the best way to image my entire M8?

Thanks again!
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
03-02-2017, 12:08 PM
(02-02-2017, 09:26 PM)bef349 What software would you recommend? Also, what is the best way to image my entire M8?

Thanks again!

Try Recuva .
I read that Photorec is also good.
By Image, I believe you mean backup. TWRP is about your best bet as other methods like DD and Nandroid are covered by TWRP

Note!
bef349
bef349
bef349
Enthusiastic Member
04-02-2017, 05:28 PM
(03-02-2017, 12:08 PM)hovatek Try Recuva .
I read that Photorec is also good.
By Image, I believe you mean backup.  TWRP is about your best bet as other methods like DD and Nandroid are covered by TWRP

well by image I meant taking a full dump of my phone into an .img .. how else would I be able to run something like recuva or photorec on my M8? I was thinking of taking a bit by bit dump of the M8 as a .img file and processing photorec on it but am not sure how to do that

how would you approach it?
This post was last modified: 04-02-2017, 05:31 PM by bef349.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
06-02-2017, 08:24 AM

(04-02-2017, 05:28 PM)bef349 well by image I meant taking a full dump of my phone into an .img .. how else would I be able to run something like recuva or photorec on my M8? I was thinking of taking a bit by bit dump of the M8 as a .img file and processing photorec on it but am not sure how to do that

how would you approach it?

I believe you're trying to get your entire ROM into an iso file then mount it on your PC. I don't think that approach would work.
I believe you're to connect the phone to PC and mount as USB storage then check the software if the phone storage is detected. If it is then you proceed with recovery.
You should also checkout Easeus
This post was last modified: 06-02-2017, 08:26 AM by hovatek.

Note!
Pages (2): 1 2 Next