Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to fix an ADB clash on a Windows PC
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to fix an ADB clash on a Windows PC

[Tutorial] How to fix an ADB clash on a Windows PC

hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
07-11-2015, 09:16 AM

This is a step-by-step guide on how to fix an adb clash. This is a situation where more than one instance of adb running at the same time causes adb to stop working. When you have more than one ADB installation on a PC, you could have an ADB clash. This could cause ADB and other tools which use ADB (e.g MTK Droid Tools) not to work properly.

Setting up ADB is pretty easy, you could either use the ADB installer method (recommended) or the PdaNet method . 

Normally, to check if ADB is setup and working, you enable USB debugging on the phone , connect the phone to PC (via USB cord) then run the command below:

Code:

adb devices

You should have something like this as output:

[Image: how-to-fix-an-adb-clash-5.jpg]

If after setting up ADB, ADB sometimes detects your phone and sometimes doesn't, then you're likely looking at an ADB clash. An ADB clash could cause an empty list of devices attached as output ;

[Image: how-to-fix-an-adb-clash-1.jpg]

When you run the command below (which is supposed to refresh ADB):

Code:

adb kill-server

the output will be something like * server not running *:

[Image: how-to-fix-an-adb-clash-2.jpg]

To investigate an ADB clash, run Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del). You will find multiple adb processes running

[Image: how-to-fix-an-adb-clash-3.jpg]

You could locate the ADB.exe of each process by right-clicking and selecting Open file location

[Image: how-to-fix-an-adb-clash-4.jpg]

How to fix ADB clash

Ending the unwanted adb processes in Task manager might help but mostly not for long because the adb process would soon restart and the clash, resume.

To fix the adb clash error for good:

1. If you installed ADB using the PdaNet method then ensure to exit PdaNet in the system tray (bottom-right corner) then uninstall it
  2. If you have more than one ADB folder then delete others so you have just one
This post was last modified: 16-10-2019, 12:34 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
18-09-2017, 02:17 PM
I have tried both methods (ADB installer and Pdanet installation) and successfully installed the ADB files. However, each time I connect my phone, I get the error message "USB Device not recognised."

Furthermore, neither Pdanet, MTK Droid tool or ADB command window can detect my phone (Lenovo Vibe P1ma40).

By the way, my phone is rooted and I confirmed that the ADB shell is granted superuser access on the SuperSU app.

What am I trying to do? I' wanna backup my phone ROM before flashing the more recent ROM version.

Kindly assist.

Thank you
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
18-09-2017, 02:56 PM
(18-09-2017, 02:17 PM)OlawaleAkinboboye I have tried both methods  (ADB installer and Pdanet installation) and successfully installed the ADB files. However, each time I connect my phone, I get the error message "USB Device not recognised."

Furthermore, neither Pdanet, MTK Droid tool or ADB command window can detect my phone (Lenovo Vibe P1ma40).

By the way, my phone is rooted and I confirmed that the ADB shell is granted superuser access on the SuperSU app.

What am I trying to do? I' wanna backup my phone ROM before flashing the more recent ROM version.

Kindly assist.

Thank you

if you are trying to backup your current rom, use the miracle box method @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13347.html
you wont be needing adb for that
20-09-2017, 02:26 PM
(18-09-2017, 02:56 PM)freshtyt
(18-09-2017, 02:17 PM)OlawaleAkinboboye I have tried both methods  (ADB installer and Pdanet installation) and successfully installed the ADB files. However, each time I connect my phone, I get the error message "USB Device not recognised."

Kindly assist.

Thank you

if you are trying to backup your current rom, use the miracle box method
you wont be needing adb for that

Worked like a miracle! lol... Many thanks!