Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Please help] Can this work? Idea for rooting Lenovo TB-7504X
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] Can this work? Idea for rooting Lenovo TB-7504X

[Please help] Can this work? Idea for rooting Lenovo TB-7504X

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Burns
Burns
Burns
Enthusiastic Member
09-01-2019, 10:52 PM

I’m trying to root my Lenovo TB-7504X. I think there is no known way to unlock the bootloader via fastboot. So, I came up with this Idea.
1.      use Magisk to patch a boot image (boot-sign.img)
2.      use SP Flash to load the boot image to the tablet
Can this wok or will it brick the device?
The problem is that I don’t have an auth file but there is a tool by Lenovo for recovery. It is downloading a Firmware form the Lenovo serves and using SP Flash to load the FW to the device.
So maybe I can replace the boot-sign.img with the patch one and let the Lenovo tool load the Firmware…
What do you think?
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
09-01-2019, 11:15 PM
(09-01-2019, 10:52 PM)Burns I’m trying to root my Lenovo TB-7504X. I think there is no known way to unlock the bootloader via fastboot. So, I came up with this Idea.
The problem is that I don’t have an auth file but there is a tool by Lenovo for recovery. It is downloading a Firmware form the Lenovo serves and using SP Flash to load the FW to the device.
So maybe I can replace the boot-sign.img with the patch one and let the Lenovo tool load the Firmware…
What do you think?

You can try that but make sure to backup your phone's firmware and still make sure the firmware you backedup is flashable.

Sent from my M5 mini using Hovatek Mobile
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
10-01-2019, 10:31 AM
(09-01-2019, 10:52 PM)Burns I’m trying to root my Lenovo TB-7504X. I think there is no known way to unlock the bootloader via fastboot. So, I came up with this Idea.
What do you think?

you would need to unsign the boot.img before patching, see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21005.html
if you decide to try flashing patched_boot using SP flash tool and encounter the sign header error, then try the fix listed @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-439.html
Burns
Burns
Burns
Enthusiastic Member
10-01-2019, 10:58 PM
(10-01-2019, 10:31 AM)freshtyt you would need to unsign the boot.img before patching, see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21005.html
if you decide to try flashing patched_boot using SP flash tool and encounter the sign header error, then try the fix listed @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-439.html

Thank you for the hints. 
I using the boot.img as you recommend and patched it
Then I tried to flash it with the SP flash tool but run as you also expected in the Error 6045. So, I tried writing the image directly via advanced mode and Write Memory tab. This results in that the device showing:
Red mode 
The device has failed verification
Restarting in 5s
I was able to recover the device by flashing the original image. So is working again…
Any helpful ideas? My feeling is that without proper signing it will not work.
This post was last modified: 10-01-2019, 11:01 PM by Burns.
Attached Files
.jpg
mag.jpg
Size: 5.23 KB / Downloads: 7
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
11-01-2019, 09:32 AM

(10-01-2019, 10:58 PM)Burns Thank you for the hints. 
I using the boot.img as you recommend and patched it
Then I tried to flash it with the SP flash tool but run as you also expected in the Error 6045. So, I tried writing the image directly via advanced mode and Write Memory tab. This results in that the device showing:
Red mode 
The device has failed verification
Restarting in 5s
I was able to recover the device by flashing the original image. So is working again…
Any helpful ideas? My feeling is that without proper signing it will not work.

what's the android version of the phone?
verify again that the bootloader isn't unlocked
zip and upload your boot.img to any cloud storage (e.g google drive) then post the download link here
Burns
Burns
Burns
Enthusiastic Member
11-01-2019, 10:51 AM
(11-01-2019, 09:32 AM)X3non what's the android version of the phone?
it is Android 7.0

(11-01-2019, 09:32 AM)X3non verify again that the bootloader isn't unlocked
yes the booloader is locked

fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot oem unlock-go

are not known to the device

(11-01-2019, 09:32 AM)X3non zip and upload your boot.img to any cloud storage (e.g google drive) then post the download link here
here you go: boot-sign.zip
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-01-2019, 09:55 AM
(11-01-2019, 10:51 AM)Burns ...

try this patched boot @ https://www.datafilehost.com/d/16eb96c1
lets know if you're still able to boot into homescreen after flashing
Burns
Burns
Burns
Enthusiastic Member
12-01-2019, 11:10 AM
(12-01-2019, 09:55 AM)X3non try this patched boot @ https://www.datafilehost.com/d/16eb96c1
lets know if you're still able to boot into homescreen after flashing

Unfortunately, I got the same result using the 'Ctrl + Alt + V'  -> “Write memory” Method
[Image: attachment.php?aid=6014]

I noticed one interesting thing. When reverting back to the original boot image I also used the 'Ctrl + Alt + V'  -> “Write memory” Method. In this case I ended up in a boot loop without the above message only the Lenovo logo was on the screen. Flashing the original boot image via “Download” had recovered the device.
Attached Files
.jpg
RedState.jpg
Size: 29.81 KB / Downloads: 50
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
12-01-2019, 07:46 PM
(12-01-2019, 11:10 AM)Burns I noticed one interesting thing. When reverting back to the original boot image I also used the 'Ctrl + Alt + V'  -> “Write memory” Method. In this case I ended up in a boot loop without the above message only the Lenovo logo was on the screen. Flashing the original boot image via “Download” had recovered the device.

After flashing the stock boot using sp flash tool (and unbricking), try flash the stock boot-sign.img using Advanced mode and let me know what happens

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Burns
Burns
Burns
Enthusiastic Member
12-01-2019, 09:03 PM

(12-01-2019, 07:46 PM)hovatek After flashing the stock boot using sp flash tool (and unbricking), try flash the stock boot-sign.img using Advanced mode and let me know what happens
The tablet was starting normal than I flashed the stock boot-sign.img using advanced mode: Same bootloop without the message just the logo.

I used this settings:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=6016]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6015]
Attached Files
.jpg
DL.jpg
Size: 85.15 KB / Downloads: 42
.jpg
WM.jpg
Size: 21.58 KB / Downloads: 39
Pages (2): 1 2 Next