Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead?
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead?

[Please help] Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead?

rhavoc
rhavoc
rhavoc
Enthusiastic Member
24-07-2017, 06:03 AM

Hi Guys!

My phone, which is based on the MT6592 chipset, suddenly displayed a "Privacy Protection Password" a couple of days ago. Searching the internet, I came upon references to this being brought about by activating the Anti-Theft option in Android, which was triggered when I changed one of the sims on my phone to make a call. 

Anyway, last Saturday, I was still able to bypass the protection somehow, so I didn't think too much of it, and I thought it would go away when I put the original sim back in. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and yesterday, it was impossible to bypass the protection. After searching for about half a day, I came upon several tools that would be able to clear this security issue, so I downloaded those that claim to be able to do so, and only one software actually ran on my machine. When I was about to perform the security removal, the software called my attention that it will erase the user data, so I proceeded to do a firmware backup with a user data dump. 

Before fiddling with the security issue though, I thought it might be best to have an original ROM for my phone, just in case, so I downloaded it, and downloaded the SP Flash tool linked in the page containing the ROM. Excited with my find, I then tested my downloads to make sure they work, and sure enough, AFAICT, the downloads were okay, and I even tried the "no battery" option of SPFT. And this is where it came crashing down. Distracted by something, I forgot that I took out the battery before clicking the "Clear Security" button. A warning popped up, saying I need to make sure that the battery is charged and that the phone is off before continuing, and as I was distracted, I forgot to double check if the battery was attached and I clicked on continue...

It was only after the software said "Done" did I get to check the phone, and there I saw by its side, the battery.

I tried to open the phone, and all I got was the power on sound, no display. I tried to get to boot recovery mode, and I was able to access it, so I thought there might still be a chance of salvaging the phone. When I rebooted it, it went to a boot loop for a few times before I heard the power on sound and this time I decided to wait, hopefully the phone will be able to recover. So I waited for 30 minutes, but there was no visible activity on the phone -- no display and the power button didn't work. So I took the matter in my own hands. I decided to just flash the phone and be done with it.

And so the troubles began. I ran into a string of BROM ERROR S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTINGS_FAIL (5054), and BROM ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032) [EMI] Enable DRAM fail. Doing a spot search and trial and error, I was able to "fix"the said errors at one point or another until now (well, technically around 2AM), when the SPFT can't even detect the DRAM and no amount of formatting / format all + Download / Firmware upgrade seems to do anything.

My only consolation being, at least the phone is still detected by the laptop and SPFT. Which brings me to my original inquiry: is the phone bricked (soft / hard) or really dead?

If it's only bricked, can the gurus please help? The unit in question is Cherry Mobile Flare S Play.

Thanks a lot! 

Messages In This Thread
Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by rhavoc - 24-07-2017, 06:03 AM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by X3non - 24-07-2017, 12:34 PM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by rhavoc - 24-07-2017, 06:07 PM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by hovatek - 24-07-2017, 02:35 PM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by rhavoc - 24-07-2017, 08:31 PM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by hovatek - 25-07-2017, 12:40 AM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by rhavoc - 25-07-2017, 04:41 AM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by X3non - 25-07-2017, 11:13 AM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by rhavoc - 31-07-2017, 09:14 PM
RE: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead? - by X3non - 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM