Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption

Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption

Benzalf
Benzalf
Benzalf
26-07-2019, 03:46 AM

Hello there. I made this guide specifically for the Tecno Camon X (CA7). This is a great device that deserves to be rooted. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] This guide, which is very lengthy because it is meant to be easy, is based on my preferences and experiences I have had over time so please bare me out. It’s what worked for me, so you can follow rest assured that it’ll work for you too.
This is a deep guide and is very simple to do if only you know how to follow instructions.

In this guide, you'll successfully be able to do the following:
1. Completely backup the ROM of your Tecno Camon X (CA7).
2. Root your Tecno Camon X (CA7).
3. Create and install a ported TWRP for the device.
4. Achieve full device decryption of ‘/data’ partition to enable TWRP recovery have access. Without this, installing a custom recovery is kind of pointless since you will not be able to mount ‘/data’ partition to flash certain zip files due to its encryption.

Ok, first a few important points:
1. Read ahead and understand all methods before you do them. Team Hovatek admins always stress following instructions carefully. I could have been one of the first to root this device but I missed a small but important step and had to wait one year to be a SuperUser [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
I personally read the whole tutorial before trying anything because sometimes, you may need to refer to a previous method’s result, which you may not have taken note of and makes the tutorial confusing or just harder.
2. Before trying anything, always make a backup! Unless you don’t care about bricking your phone. Very important.
3. Take personal precautions like I did (You’ll know soon). Do everything you think will help you have a safe flash even if it’s not in a guide. After all, it’s your device.
4. Always load the Custom DA when using SP Flash Tool. Always.
5. (Personal) Always use SP Flash tool to flash recovery and boot images instead of Fastboot mode on MTK devices. Fastboot tends to give me deadlier bricks and it’s SP Flash tool that comes to my rescue anyways so...[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Tools I used (all are found on the forum):
* WwR MTK Tool v2.51.
* SP Flash Tool v5.1916.
* TWRP Recovery Porter by Hovatek v1.4.
* Custom DA for the Tecno Camon X (particularly the first of the 2 DAs provided by Team Hovatek; the second one gave me an error which I don’t remember).

Other Requisites
* You should have Preloader & Vcom, Fastboot and ADB drivers installed. If not, please do a quick search on the forum. It’s simple to do.
* You should know how to unlock your bootloader and enable usb debugging.
* ES File Explorer (or any good file manager)

BACKING UP SECTION

1. (Personal) I searched and verified the latest firmware that was available on the forum so that in the very unusual case that my own backup failed, one will still be available. I even imported it into my Mega account just in case it got deleted from the forum. (Yeah... Paranoid me [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES])
Then I updated my phone accordingly. My first Build number was CA7-H633BCDK-O-180308V122. I updated to CA7-H633BCDK-O-190323V246 because I wanted to get the best updates and features from our dear Tecno people before rooting as I don’t plan on updating it ever again.

2. Backup everything you want: contacts, apps, WhatsApp chat backup, media files, and everything on the internal SD card to your Google Account and/or your computer because you’re going to lose everything on your phone in this guide.

3. Enable USB debugging and also allow Bootloader (OEM unlocking) to be unlocked under the Developer menu. If you can’t find the Developer menu at the bottom part of the System Settings, tap on your build number about 5 times or so to enable the Developer menu.
Now it’s time to completely backup the firmware of your phone. This will give us the various partitions needed in rooting the phone and also help revert any possible damaging changes made in the rooting process (or any experiments you do like I did). Also if you ever decide to rescind your title as superuser, you can flash this backup and everything will be as before.

4. Launch the Wwr Mtk tool. You’ll be greeted by a 2-minute advertisement. Wait patiently for it. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
There are so many inline tabs after the app opens. No need to be afraid. The first is the ADB tab. Connect the powered on Tecno CA7 and click on the ‘Plug in’ button. If there’s a prompt on your phone about the ADB connection, please allow it.
There’ll be a short read of info of your phone’s chipset and memory type which will be needed later. From the info gathered by the Wwr Tool, your chipset should be MT6763 and memory storage type should be EMMC, as was mine. You’ll see build number and other stuff that tallies with your phone’s info too.

5. Click on the 3rd tab: Auto Mode. In that tab, click or expand the first option ‘1. Generating empty scatter file’. You should see the platform type (CPU) and memory type the tool got in the previous method: MT6763 and EMMC respectively. Click on the ‘Create and save as…’ option on the right. This is a just a temporary scatter file. Save it in your work folder.

6. Open the new scatter file you just created with Notepad on your pc. Take note of the physical_start_addr (0x0) and partition_size (mine was 0x80000) in the file. This will be used in the next step with SP Flash Tool.

7. Copy the Custom DA (MTK_AllInOne_DA.bin) that you downloaded earlier into the folder of the SP Flash Tool.exe and overwrite if it asks. Disconnect your phone from the computer and open SP Flash tool. Click on ‘Options’ at the top left. In the ‘General’ tab, untick ‘Check LIB DA mismatch’ and close the option window. If you don’t uncheck this, SP Flash tool will throw an ‘LIB DA not match’ error when you select the Custom DA. (Do this anytime you use SP Flash Tool)

8. In the Download tab, make sure to select the Custom DA you that downloaded as the Download-Agent. (I missed this step a year ago and did the readback using the stock Download Agent [SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY]). Also select the scatter file you created earlier with Wwr Tool in the Scatter-loading option.

9. Now click on the Readback tab next to the Download Tab. Click on the Add option.
Double click on the new address given and click on save, saving the file as ROM_0. In the next window, the type should be Hex, region = EMMC_BOOT_1, start address = 0x0 like in step 6, length = partition_size in step 6 (0x800000). Click Ok to close the window and click on the green readback button. Switch off and connect your phone to the PC. SP Flash tool will back up the ROM_0 in a few seconds. Click ok to close the prompt and disconnect your phone

10. Open the Wwr tool and click on select file at the top right corner. Select the ROM_0 you just created.

11. Click on the ‘Preloader analysis’ button. Some info about your device will be displayed. Then click on ‘To extract preloader and save as….’. Save the file into the folder location of the temp scatter file. (preloader_ca7_h633.bin)

12. Disconnect your phone if it’s connected and go back to SP Flash tool. We are doing the second readback. Make sure again that the Custom DA is selected along with the temp scatter file. Open the readback tab once again and double click on the address given. If there isn’t an address, click on Add to add one.

13. Save this file as ROM_1 in the folder you saved the first ROM_0 and the temp scatter file.

14. Again type = Hex, but Region = EMMC_USER, start address = 0x0 like in step 6, length = partition_size in step 6 (0x800000). Click ok and click the green readback button. Then connect your phone to complete the process. Dismiss the success prompt and disconnect your phone.

15. This new file (ROM_1) now called PGPT contains the addresses of remaining partitions we need.

16. Go back to the Wwr tool and click on ‘select file’ again, choosing the new PGPT file. A new tab name ‘Table of sections’ will open. On the right side of this tab, take note of the ‘Full Volume of GPT’ = 0x3A3E00000 in my case. It will be used in the third and final readback in the next step.

17. Go back to SP Flash Tool and do another readback. The name of the file should be ROM_1 and should be in the same folder as the ROM_0 ( so overwrite when asked). Type = Hex, Region = EMMC_USER, start address = 0x0, length = hex value from step 16 (0x3A3E00000).

18. Click ok and perform the readback like in the previous steps. This will take a while as it  will completely backup all the partitions of the firmware specific to your phone (took me 15 minutes). When done, click ok to dismiss the backup  success prompt for the last time. Disconnect your phone and close SP Flash tool.

20. Go back to Wwr tool and click on ‘select file’ at the top right again. Locate and select ROM_0, (which is also the same as the preloader_ca7_h633.bin). ROM_1 will be automatically selected as well.

21. CLick on the ‘Auto Mode’ tab and expand ‘Start Autopilot’. Tick the first option ‘Identifying platform, tradesmark…..(info from build.prop)’, then ‘Start Process’. Wait for the progress bar to finish loading.

22. In the ‘Auto Mode’ tab, on option ‘4. Assemble firmware’, click on ‘Cut the ROM as it is’.
Please do select a new folder for your complete processed firmware and click. Let Wwr Tool do it’s work.
Congrats!! Hard part done. You’ve succeeded in backing up your firmware. We’ll use 2 of the partitions to root and install TWRP in the next sections.

ROOTING SECTION
I rooted using the patched_boot.img by Magisk. Note that you need an internet connection for this.
Before you do continue, please unlock your bootloader.
Very simple way to do that is to switch off your phone. After, hold down power + volume down together to enter the fastboot mode. Connect your device and open CMD prompt on your windows machine and type ‘fastboot devices’.
Your device should be listed. Then enter the following in CMD ‘fastboot oem unlock’. After hitting ‘Enter’ key, confirm on your device to complete the unlocking. This will enable flashing to certain partitions of your phone. Also remember it will factory reset your phone.

1. From your firmware backup, copy boot.img to your internal SD card. Install Magisk Manger apk from the forum. I updated to version 7.3.3-f1112fdf. It’s the latest at this time. When the Magisk Manager app prompts to install Magisk, select ‘No thanks’. (Note that Magisk is different from the Magisk Manager)

2. (If you do not want to decrypt ‘/data’ partition, you can ignore this part).
Before you patch your stock boot.img, expand the Advanced Settings and untick the 2 options (Preserve force encryption and Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity).

3. Now select Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File and locate your boot.img on your SD card. The Magisk Manager will download the required files and patch your boot.img

4. Rename the ‘patched_boot.img’ file to ‘boot.img’ (you may find yours in your phone’s ‘Downloads’ folder) and copy to a new folder on your PC. Copy the scatter file and preloader.bin from your processed firmware backup also to this new folder. So you should have 3 files in there: the complete scatter file, the preloader.bin and the patched boot.img.

5. Disconnect and switch off your phone before opening SP Flash Tool, and again, make sure to select the Custom DA. Locate and select the scatter file in the new folder above. The preloader.bin and boot.img should be the only two items selected automatically.

6. Press the download button and connect your switched off phone. Dismiss the success prompt, disconnect your phone and boot it up.

7. Complete the rooting process by opening the Magisk Manger app on your phone. You must connect to the internet for the Manager to complete the root process. The Magisk Manager is the app that will enable you control which apps can have or be denied superuser privileges. (I was used to SuperUser and wrongly kept installing SuperUser apk which didn’t work. So note that this is just like SuperUser in case you didn’t) You wouldn’t want every app having root access, besides, without the Magisk Manager, no app can be served root privileges either. Test with ES File Explorer by ticking the ‘Root Explorer’ option. Grant it superuser access when the Magisk Manager prompts.

CONGRATS. YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY ROOTED YOUR PHONE. Do make sure to make the most out of it but don't brick it [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

DECRYPTING ‘/data’ PARTITION

NB: It’s better to do this before installing TWRP because the phone doesn’t boot to the custom recovery after you initiate a factory reset. It just hangs. You’ll have to flash your stock recovery when this happens.
Now anytime you factory-reset your phone, whether via the Settings Menu or stock recovery menu, the ‘data’ partition gets encrypted automatically. I don’t use any form of security on my phone so I didn’t understand why it was happening. With an encrypted partition, TWRP won’t mount the partition to flash certain zip files. Someone mentioned in one thread to flash a certain ‘disable force encryption.zip’ file but anytime I flash, although is successfully prevents the encryption, my baseband and IMEI becomes null. I tried fixing it by flashing NVRAM, NVCFG and NVDATA. Nothing worked except flashing the Vendor.img or System.img, which resulted in encrypting my phone again. The days I spent on this annoying loop. Well, the fix was simpler than I thought.

1. After rooting your phone, open the ES File Explorer, swipe from the left side to open up the settings menu and enable Root Explorer. Grant permission when the Magisk manager prompts.

2. Locate the root folder of your device which is where you can find the system, data and other folders.

3. Open Vendor > nvdata > fstab.mt6763. Edit with ES Explorer Note Editor. On approximately line 17, you’ll see:
/dev/block/platform/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs noatime,nosuid,nodev wait,check,quota,formattable,resize,forceencrypt=/dev/block/platform/bootdevice/by-name/metadata,

4. Replace with this piece of text:

/dev/block/platform/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs noatime,nosuid,nodev wait,check,quota,formattable,resize,encryptable=/dev/block/platform/bootdevice/by-name/metadata

( ie Replace ‘forceencrypt’ with ‘encryptable’ and also remove the ending coma)

Do this also in Vendor > etc > fstab.mt6763 or you can replace it with the file you previously edited in Vendor > nvdata > fstab.mt6763.

5. Perform a factory reset to remove the encryption finally.

That’s it. Your phone won’t encrypt automatically upon factory reset but will leave the option to you to encrypt it in the Security Settings. Now you can proceed to install TWRP.

INSTALLING TWRP

1. Extract the TWRP Porter 1.4 by Team Hovatek you downloaded.

2. Copy your stock recovery to the ‘stock-recovery’ folder.

3. Launch the MTK Auto Recovery Porter.

4. Select your android version in the Android Version Tab.

5. Wait till it’s done and don’t worry about the ‘dm verity found’ prompt because you already patched your boot.img with Magisk.

6. Flash the recovery.img in the ‘output’ folder along with preloader.bin using SP Flash Tool.

Congrats!!!![CLAPPING HANDS SIGN][CLAPPING HANDS SIGN][CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]
Flash an ad blocking host file, install a firewall, uninstall unwanted system apps and many more.
Just enjoy being a Superser.

Acknowledgement to Team Hovatek.
Cheers!!

END OF GUIDE

Sent from my rooted, decrypted TECNO CA7 using Hovatek Mobile [GHOST]
This post was last modified: 20-11-2019, 12:49 PM by Benzalf.

Messages In This Thread
Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Benzalf - 26-07-2019, 03:46 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by hovatek - 26-07-2019, 11:14 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by riadtaihi - 27-07-2019, 05:54 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Benzalf - 28-07-2019, 11:09 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Benzalf - 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 06-08-2019, 07:27 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Benzalf - 06-08-2019, 07:55 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Davie254 - 09-08-2019, 12:04 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 09-08-2019, 12:41 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Yommy Gabriel - 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Apelles - 10-01-2020, 02:12 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 11-01-2020, 10:36 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by ikasemota - 05-05-2020, 09:29 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by dmitri_davidovic - 21-06-2020, 09:05 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 22-06-2020, 09:25 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by dmitri_davidovic - 22-06-2020, 10:01 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by cristian.s - 10-09-2021, 01:47 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 23-06-2020, 08:07 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by X3non - 11-09-2021, 10:57 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Arapu - 22-11-2021, 10:14 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by hovatek - 23-11-2021, 05:19 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Arapu - 23-11-2021, 07:33 PM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by hovatek - 24-11-2021, 07:44 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Arapu - 30-11-2021, 06:45 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by hovatek - 30-11-2021, 10:04 AM
RE: Tecno Camon x (CA7) Root, install TWRP and Disable Force encryption - by Arapu - 01-12-2021, 05:26 PM