Hi, Guest! Login / Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Tutorial] How to backup on Airtel

Question: What is Airtel Mobile Phone Backup?

Answer: Airtel Mobile Phone Backup is a service that safeguards all data of your mobile phone including Contacts, Calendar, SMS, Photos, Videos and Music. The Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service copies your mobile phone's data in a secure manner to Airtel's secure Mobile Phone Backup system, and also enables you to restore the saved data on your phone (New/Existing) whenever you change your phone or in case you lose the data accidentally.

Question: What are the features available on Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service?

Answer: Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service enables you to:
* Easily & quickly backup all your mobile data
* View, manage and edit all your data through secure internet website
* Copy/Restore all your saved/backed-up data to your phone (New or  Existing)

Question: What kind of data can be saved using Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service?
Answer: You can save the following categories of data depending on your phone model:
* Contacts
* Photos
* Videos
* Music
* Events & Tasks
* SMS

Question: Can I use Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service from any Airtel connection, be it Prepaid or Postpaid?

Answer: Yes you can use Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service from your Prepaid as well as your Postpaid

Question: What are the subscription charges?

Answer: This service is free to use for Airtel subscribers (Data charges apply)

Question: Can I use any phone handset to save/backup my data?

Answer: There are number of some phones that are supported to save/backup your data. The complete list can be seen at http://mybackup.airtel.com/airtelafweb. There you will need to click on see supported phones. You will need GPRS enabled on your handset and you will have a Rich client (Backup Option) for using the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service.

Question: Can I use the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service if I do not have an internet capability Phone?

Answer: No, you cannot use Airtel Mobile Phone Backup Service if your phone does not support internet.

Question: How do I know if my mobile phone handset is internet enabled or not?

Answer: The Airtel Mobile Phone Backup system automatically detects if your handset is internet enabled or not and accordingly sends you the appropriate message and settings to your mobile phone.

Question: If my mobile phone has internet capability how do I get internet activated on my mobile phone?

Answer: Airtel Mobile Phone Backup works on basic GPRS called 'Airtel Mobile Internet'. To activate GPRS on your handset you can call the Customer Care and get GPRS activated. Once 'Mobile Internet' is activated, please select 'Mobile Internet' as the default access point.

Question: How can I activate Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service using my internet capability phone?

Answer: To start, ensure that you have internet APN enabled on your phone. You can register to the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service by any one of the following methods:
* Send MYBACKUP to 522 (Toll-free).
* Open your mobile phone's web browser, type http://mybackup.airtel.com/airtelafwap/  and access the WAP Portal.

Question: How do I download and install the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup application on my GPRS phone?

Answer: Once you send the SMS to 522 you will receive an SMS containing a link,  which you have to select. This will redirect you to a welcome to Phone Backup WAP page.
* If your handset is supported currently by the Airtel Phone Backup Service then an Accept link is shown to the new user.
* If user's handset is not supported, appropriate message of 'phone is not supported' will be shown.
* After accepting and activating the service you will need to accept Terms and Conditions and download the application.
* The phone will prompt you to 'install' the application on your mobile phone
* You need to select 'Yes' to install the application on your mobile phone
* Once installed, Airtel Mobile Phone Backup icon will appear in  your 'Phone Menu' or 'Application Folder' depending on your phone model
* You will receive service activation details
* You will also receive a SMS with a web URL link for accessing your Phone Backup account on internet, the Account User ID, which is your phone number  in 254xxxxxxxxx format and the password for Weblogin.

Question: Will the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup application be downloaded on all internet phones?

Answer: No, all internet enabled phones are not supported for service. You will be sent appropriate SMS with settings for using the mobile phone's inbuilt SyncML (Synchronize) option to connect to Airtel Phone Backup service.

Question: Are there any other settings that I need to change before using Airtel Mobile Phone Backup from my internet phone?

Answer: No. If you have an active internet then there is no hindrance in using the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup.

Question: How do I launch Airtel Mobile Phone Backup application on my internet phone?

Answer: Open the folder in which the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup application has been saved and click on the Airtel Phone Backup icon to launch it. Once launched the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup will automatically ask to 'Backup' your phone's Contacts & SMS. If you choose Yes, automatically backup will begin. If you choose no, backup options can be managed from the Home Screen.

Question: How can I change my Airtel Mobile Phone Backup settings?

Answer: Open the folder in which the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup application has been saved and click on the Airtel Phone Backup icon to launch it. Once launched the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup shows a home screen with options like Backup, Restore and Settings. On the screen you will get options of selecting which data to 'backup'. You will see Contacts, SMS, Photos, Videos and Music. You can select the data type that you want to 'backup' and click ok to initiate backup process. The application will show you when the selected data has been successfully and securely saved on to the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup Server.

Question: How can I restore my data from Airtel Mobile Phone Backup Web-server using my internet phone?

Answer:
You can click open the Airtel Phone Backup icon to launch the applicatio. On the screen you will see options of Backup, Restore and Settings.
Then click on Restore function on the screen. On the screen you will get option to select which data to restore on to your phone. You will see Contacts, Photos, Videos and Music, etc depending on the phone model. You can select the data type that you want to restore and click restore to initiate restore process.
The application will show you when the selected data has been successfully and securely restored on to your mobile phone.

Question: Can I schedule automatic backup of my Phone's data?

Answer: Yes you surely can. You can click on the Airtel Phone Backup icon to launch the application as explained above in  and go to settings >> Backup Frequency.
The Schedule option when clicked will show you options of Daily, Weekly, Monthly and keeping the schedule option manual. You can choose and save settings as per your requirements.

Question: How will I use a internet phone supporting SyncML option to launch the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service?

Answer: When the user clicks on the wap link http://mybackup.airtel.com/airtelafwap/, and if it displays the page with the option to send the sync settings to that user, then, User gets a message with username and password, another message with the link of Airtel Phone Backup instruction page. And then an SMS with sync settings which it needs to save into the mobile phone. A new sync profile with Phone Backup is created. Now the user needs to go to options and select Synchronize. This starts the synchronization between the phone and backup server. In few of the handsets automatic sync settings are not saved. For that we need to create the sync profile manually. On the next page, user will get settings of how to create manual sync profile. After saving all the settings user can start sync process on his/her mobile.

Question: How will I save/backup my phone data using an internet (SyncML) phone?

Answer: After creating or saving sync profile go to options and select synchronize. This will start synchronization between mobile and phone backup server. The process checks the difference between the phone data and the server data and synchronizes the unavailable data.

Question: How will I restore data from the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup Web-server using an internet (SyncML) phone?

Answer: In internet (SyncML) phone while synchronization backup and restore completes in a single process. It means both the data will get available at both the server and phone ends.

Question: How can I schedule an automatic backup from my internet (SyncML) phone?

Answer: In internet (SyncML) process scheduling is not possible as it is not supported by any phone.

Question: What if my GPRS connectivity breaks at any point while doing Backup or Restore functions?

Answer:
If the internet connectivity breaks at anytime during backup or restore functions then appropriate error message of 'Network Connection Failed' will be shown and user will be prompted to 'Try again'.
In case you exited Airtel Phone Backup application without retrying, then the next time that you click on the Airtel Phone Backup application, it will automatically show you a message asking you to either resume the earlier transaction or do it later or suspend the transaction permanently. Based on your choice the application will proceed.

Question: What if I receive a call or SMS while doing backup or restore functions?

Answer: If you receive a call or SMS while doing backup or restore functions the backup/restore process is kept on hold temporarily and resumes as soon as the call is completed. However if the call takes too long to complete then an error message 'Network Connection Failed' is displayed and you will be prompted to 'Try again'. Remaining steps are same as given above.

Question: What will be my Airtel Mobile Phone Backup account's Web-login User ID and Password?

Answer: Your phone backup Account User ID will by default be your phone number in xxxxxxxxxxxx format while the initial password is randomly auto-generated by the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup Web-server and sent as SMS to you. Do remember to save the details of the SMS in a safe place.

Question: What if I forget my Airtel Mobile Phone Backup account's Web-login User ID or Password?

Answer: The Web URL clearly mentions that User ID is by default the phone number in xxxxxxxxxxxx format. For retrieving password, you can click the 'Forgot Password' option on Login page to retrieve your current password which will be sent by SMS to your mobile phone.

Question: How do I change my Phone backup account password?

Answer: On the web portal of Airtel Phone Backup, You can change your password after logging into the web account from 'Your Account' tab.

Question: Why can't I save/backup or restore after changing my password on Phone Backup Web-server account?

Answer: You can't use any function of the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service after you have changed your password from the Web-login of the Phone backup account, unless you change the password on your phone also. So please ensure that the password must be changed in both the locations, i.e. Web-account as well as on the mobile phone itself.

Question: Can I view the data which I saved/backed-up using my phone on to the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup Web-server?

Answer: Yes, you can access and manage your Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service account using this link on from the internet http://mybackup.airtel.com/airtelafweb. User can modify his existing contacts, add contacts or edit data using the web interface.

Question: What all can I do using the web login of Airtel Mobile Phone Backup web account?

Answer: This will make available your data over the web and you can access or use it when your mobile phone is not available with you. You can completely manage your saved/backed-up data using the phone backup internet account. You can add, delete, edit/modify the following:
* Contacts
* Events & Tasks
* Photos
* Videos
* SMS
Once these changes are made then you can restore or sync your phone and you will get the updated data from the Mobile Phone Backup service to your handset. Even with Web login user can send sync settings for their mobile phone.

Question: If my handset is lost or stolen or if I change the handset, how can I restore the data from server to my phone?

Answer: If you lose your phone do not panic, simply perform a Change Handset/Device action as given below.
From New Handset: Send SMS with keyword 'MYBACKUP' to 522 (Toll-free)  you will receive a 'Welcome Back' message with requisite settings.  Thereafter follow steps as given above to install the  application on your new Airtel mobile handset.
From Web Portal: Yes, you can access and manage your Airtel mobile phone  Backup service account using this link on from the internet  http://mybackup.airtel.com/airtelafweb.

Question: I am unable to access the Airtel Mobile Phone Backup service. What all settings should I check on the mobile handset?

Answer: The following service settings you need to check:

* Check the subscription status, whether Active, or Deactivated.
* Check whether your GPRS service, 'Mobile Internet' is working properly or not.
* Check for the Client Settings.
* Check whether the username and password for both the  web-login and handset are the same and are entered in the handset.
* Check the subscription status,  whether Active, or Deactivated
* Check whether your phone's  internet service is working properly or not.
* Check for the Sync ML Settings.