Hi, Guest! Login / Register
Giveaway: Free Hovatek T-shirts, Hoodies & Cufflinks.. I WANT ONE! (Nov 25, 2017)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FAT partition not present and USERDATA is too big - Backing up full ROM with Userdata

Device: Infinix Hot Note X551
Chip: MediaTek MT6592
=======
I have been trying to backup full ROM including CACHE and USERDATA which are both at the end of the list in scatter file, just before BMTPOOL partition.

As, to make full backup of the ROM including the userdata, it's required to select the next partition's starting address which usually is the FAT partition. But in my case this partition is not present and selecting the address of BMTPOOL gives the error in SPFT as following:

Quote:Address or length bytes not align

Second: when backing up USERDATA separately, it ends up with as huge file as 12 GB, you can indeed see the size is too big in the block info below. Scatter file is also attached https://forum.hovatek.com/attachment.php?aid=1612

I am not sure how would I have that much of the userdata in a backup specifically when it was a freshly flashed device with a few most common apps now a days...

Any clue?
Block info from MTK Droid Tools
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1613]

Attached Files
.txt   MT6592_Android_scatter.txt (Size: 7.48 KB / Downloads: 7)
.png   mt6592-LP-Block-Info.png (Size: 32.61 KB / Downloads: 75)
(11-22-2015, 05:46 PM)bellskar Wrote: Device: Infinix Hot Note X551
Chip: MediaTek MT6592
=======
I have been trying to backup full ROM including CACHE and USERDATA which are both at the end of the list in scatter file, just before BMTPOOL partition.

As, to make full backup of the ROM including the userdata, it's required to select the next partition's starting address which usually is the FAT partition. But in my case this partition is not present and selecting the address of BMTPOOL gives the error in SPFT as following:

Quote:Address or length bytes not align

Second: when backing up USERDATA separately, it ends up with as huge file as 12 GB, you can indeed see the size is too big in the block info below. Scatter file is also attached https://forum.hovatek.com/attachment.php?aid=1612

I am not sure how would I have that much of the userdata in a backup specifically when it was a freshly flashed device with a few most common apps now a days...

Any clue?
Block info from MTK Droid Tools
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1613]

Do you have a custom recovery installed?
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
yes I had custom recovery installed.
(11-23-2015, 05:47 PM)bellskar Wrote: yes I had custom recovery installed.

Try backing up and lets know the size of userdata
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM by bellskar. )
/data backup with custom recovery produces only in 2.3GB, which I guess is alright when most of the apps are installed and set. I had already tried that but really wondering that I am not able to have it with SPFT.
also wondering why the /FAT partition is not present?
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 10:21 AM by hovatek. )
(11-24-2015, 05:20 PM)bellskar Wrote: /data backup with custom recovery produces only in 2.3GB, which I guess is alright when most of the apps are installed and set. I had already tried that but really wondering that I am not able to have it with SPFT.
also wondering why the /FAT partition is not present?

Some scatter files don't have FAT. 
X551 doesn't ship with lollipop so I take it you upgraded right?
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 11:40 AM by bellskar. )
Yes, I have upgraded to Lollipop with the flashable ROM officially provided by the company.
But I can tell that even with the stock KK ROM, it didn't have FAT. (I can look into the scatter file that was generated when backed up previously on KitKat. But it's on my laptop. I'll update you with this)

As I told that custom recovery backed it up in only 2.3 GB. Which I already have tested by restoring as it works good with no error.

I also want to mention that when I tried to backup user data with Stock Recovery, it also required 12GB space on SD card, as this is the allocated space for user data on the device.
(11-25-2015, 11:38 AM)bellskar Wrote: Yes, I have upgraded to Lollipop with the flashable ROM officially provided by the company.
But I can tell that even with the stock KK ROM, it didn't have FAT. (I can look into the scatter file that was generated when backed up previously on KitKat. But it's on my laptop. I'll update you with this)

As I told that custom recovery backed it up in only 2.3 GB. Which I already have tested by restoring as it works good with no error.

I also want to mention that when I tried to backup user data with Stock Recovery, it also required 12GB space on SD card, as this is the allocated space for user data on the device.

Yes, by the scatter file, you'll have something like this. Did you have this issue while on KK?
BTW, since you have the KK and L firmware,  why do you still wish to backup?
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 07:58 PM by bellskar. )
I only wanted to have userdata backup specially when I was experimenting with this stuff. In a failed stated I always ended up with the new system. Backup with custom recovery has been successfull but I still wanted to know why this decice won't have /FAT and why the /USRDATA is so big.

If you remember in another thread about MT6735 which couldn't be backed up at all.

Actually I am new to Android and have started with MediaTek devices. So till now Hovatek has been good for me in response and help. So just asking about every bit I have faced with my experience in MediaTek Android devices.

Now wondering about this issue....

Update: I just checked with its Stock KK ROM's scatter file (I had created previously with MTK Droid Tools). It also misses the /FAT partition and have /BMTPOOL right after /USRDATA. However the userdata size is still big but different from the one on Lollipop. It's size 0x2E4900000 (~11.8GB)
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2015, 09:56 AM by hovatek. )
(11-25-2015, 07:48 PM)bellskar Wrote: I only wanted to have userdata backup specially when I was experimenting with this stuff. In a failed stated I always ended up with the new system. Backup with custom recovery has been successfull  but I still wanted to know why this decice won't have /FAT and why the /USRDATA is so big.

If you remember in another thread about MT6735 which couldn't be backed up at all.

Actually I am new to Android and have started with MediaTek devices. So till now Hovatek has been good for me in response and help. So just asking about every bit I have faced with my experience in MediaTek Android devices.

Now wondering about this issue....

Update: I just checked with its Stock KK ROM's scatter file (I had created previously with MTK Droid Tools). It also misses the /FAT partition and have /BMTPOOL right after /USRDATA. However the userdata size is still big but different from the one on Lollipop. It's size 0x2E4900000 (~11.8GB)

Yes, it's that large. This is most likely because they ship with large phone storage and the 12GB size wasn't meant as a restrictive requirement but an allowance for those with large /data partitions
So far you're considering a readback or /data backup in stock recovery, you'll always face that /data restriction. Unless of course you mod the scatter file