Hovatek Forum HARDWARE Boxes and Dongles [Tutorial] How to back up Mediatek firmware using Miracle Box
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to back up Mediatek firmware using Miracle Box

[Tutorial] How to back up Mediatek firmware using Miracle Box

Pages (18): 1 2 3 4 518 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
04-06-2016, 09:57 AM

This is a step-by-step guide on how to backup or dump a Mediatek device's ROM/firmware using Miracle Box. It covers backing up both in scatter (recommended) and .bin format so it will work for MTK Smartphones, Smartwatches, Tablets etc.
This tutorial will enable you to easily back up an MTK phone's firmware without having to root it. Other methods you could consider are MTK Droid tools (root required) and SP Flash tool Readback / ROM dump (root not required)

Requirements

Steps to backup a Mediatek Android phone's firmware using Miracle Box

Follow the steps below to successfully backup your Mediatek phone's ROM with Miracle Box in both scatter and .bin format

See the video tutorial below or @ https://youtu.be/_rIXJ4eSxgg

1. Extract the Miracle Box zip into a folder and launch Miracle loader exe

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-0.webp]

2. Wait till Miracle Box opens to the Dashboard

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-1.webp]

3. Click the MTK tab

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-2.webp]

4. Tick Read

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-3.webp]

5. Select the phone's chipset type from the dropdown

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-4.webp]

5a. If you want the backup saved in an SP Flash tool-friendly format (with a scatter file) then tick Save as scatter file.

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...ox-5a.webp]

6. Click the Start button

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-5.webp]

7. You should now see >> Waiting for USB Port at the bottom left corner. Connect the phone to the PC (must be switched off still with the battery inside) then press the Power button just once (this is to ensure that your device is detected immediately). DO NOT hold down the power button else the phone will boot up normally

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-6.webp]

8. If you did not tick "Save as scatter file", a box should pop up. Navigate to the location where you wish to save the firmware (in .bin format) then click Save

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-7.webp]

9. If you ticked Save as scatter file then a box should pop up asking you to select which block/partition you would like to backup. Tick all if you want a full firmware backup/dump or tick only what you need to backup then click OK

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...ox-8a.webp]

8b. Navigate to the location you wish to save the files to then click OK

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...ox-8b.webp]

10. Wait while Miracle Box begins backing up the phone. If you did not tick Save as scatter file, it should look something like

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...Box-9.webp]

9a. If you ticked Save as scatter file, it should look something like

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...ox-9a.webp]

11. Once the back up has been completed, you should see a Done message

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-backup-or-dump-a-Mediatek...ox-10.webp]

12. Disconnect then power on the phone

Important Notice
  • Miracle Box ideally requires a hardware box/dongle to run so just installing the Setup (without the required hardware) will not work
  • Scatter backups/dumps should (preferably) be flashed using Miracle Box. SP Flash tool doesn't work too well with Miracle Box-generated scatter files
  • For a scatter backup, you can rename the file extensions in order to use them in other tools, e.g recovery.bin to recovery.img
  • If you get the inactive start button error when using Miracle Box then rectify it using this guide
  • While I recommend backing up in scatter format, not all MTK devices support it (especially feature chipsets)
  • If you'll be backing up in scatter format then ensure to tick the preloader box so it is also backed up; you'll often require it to flash
  • Backing up in .bin format (one single bin file) could be storage space intensive so ensure you have sufficient space on your PC
  • Miracle Box was created by the Miracle Team so credit to them
  • If you won't be doing a full backup then ensure your backup includes preloader.bin because you'll need it to flash

Video Transcript
Quote:In this video tutorial, I'll be explaining how to backup a Mediatek Android phone using Miracle Box. Make sure you have your Mediatek USB VCOM drivers and of course your Miracle Box. I had dropped a guide on how to readback using SP Flash tool, you can check that out, but this is a much easier method. First, install your Mediatek USB VCOM drivers. These drivers help Miracle Box communicate with your phone its very important you install these drivers. Launch your device manager. I want to install the drivers

Now, in device manager, you tick any item. If you're using a Windows 8 or 10 PC, disable signature verification We have a guide at the Hovatek Forum on how to disable signature verification on a Windows 8 or 10 PC so see that guide because this driver you're about to install is an unsigned driver. If you don't disable, you will not be able to install it. Back to device manager, select any item then click on Action - Add Legacy Hardware - Next - Install.... - Next - Next - Have Disk.. - Browse -  Navigate to the location of the VCOM drivers and select your driver.

Don't forget to disable your antivirus when using Miracle Box because it might see Miracle Box as a malware. I  forgot to explain something here. I'm using a Windows 10 PC you can see (from here) I cannot find Windows 10. I'm going to use drivers for Window 7 (same for Windows 8) Now, this is for 32, this is for 64 bit. So its very important you know your PC's architecture. To find out that, go to My Computer or This PC, right-click it, select Properties then it appears. Mine is 64 bit

I'm going to be selecting the 64 bit version, select Open - click OK - Next - Next. So I standby Alright! The following hardware was installed, Mediatek DA USB VCOM Port. You can see I have a Code 10 error This is nothing to worry about, the reason you're getting it is because you installed an unsigned driver So its nothing to worry about.You might also see some yellow triangles here, its also nothing to worry about. You've installed an unsigned driver and Windows thinks it might not work but it doesn't mean it won't work I assure you (if you follow this guide), its definitely going to work. So I've installed drivers, next is Miracle Box.

I open the Miracle Box folder and launch it. It might take a bit to come up, be patient Alright! Miracle Box is up. Click on MTK since you're backing up a Mediatek Android phone. Tick Read Select the chipset type for your phone. I will be selecting MT65xx, that is my phone's chipset. Now, at this point, you have 2 options, you can choose to backup as scatter format i.e SP Flash tool format or backup the entire firmware as a (single) bin file. If you want to backup in scatter / sp flash tool format so that you can flash using sp flash tool, click on Save as scatter file.

I'll still be showing you the other method you click on save as scatter file, click on the Start button. Now, you can see Waiting for USB port At this point, you switch off the phone, still with battery inside and connect it via USB cord. Don't press anything (button), just standby. Next thing is you'll get this box here asking you to select what blocks you wish to backup. You can choose to tick everything if you want. I'll be backing up just boot I'm still going to show you the bin method. I click on OK. I'll select the location where I want the file saved [Car horn] Alright! So you have something like this.

Once that is done, You'll have the Done message. Go back to the folder you selected and you should see it backed up. You might see it (boot) in .bin format If you want to flash the boot in SP Flash tool, just rename from .bin to .img but I will not be doing that For the second method, you backup the entire firmware as a single .bin file. You won't tick save as scatter file so I'll be unticking this then disconnect the phone (from PC). Still leaving it switched off with battery inside I click on Start button. Next I connect. You're going to get a prompt asking where you want to save the firmware to. Its going to be in .bin format. I Click on Save.

This process can take quite some time You have to be patient. Its very important you do not interrupt the process. It has started backing up I'll wait a few seconds to see that its loading (1%). If the USB cord gets disconnected, you just have to [Car horn] Restart the process. If it can't detect your phone, take out the battery and re-insert. I have my 1%. You have to be patient till it gets to 100% then you'll see a Done message like this It means backup is complete.

You can disconnect the phone, boot up & locate your firmware on PC That is how to backup a Mediatek Android phone (in scatter & bin format) using Miracle Box
This post was last modified: 26-11-2023, 09:34 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
major.b2b100
major.b2b100
major.b2b100
09-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Is this the Miracle box main software?
This post was last modified: 05-08-2016, 11:02 PM by SamH.
emmynoni
emmynoni
emmynoni
09-06-2016, 02:13 PM
(04-06-2016, 09:57 AM)hovatek ...
For the scatter backup, you can rename the file extensions in order to use them in SP flash tool, e.g recovery.bin to recovery.img

PLS I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP
My infinix zero j608 16gb ROM 2gb ram camera not showing, I also tried to upgrade it 5.0 lollipop, yet still d same, I attached a screenshot of my lock screen, there is call icon by d left, lock icon in the middle, but there is no camera icon by the right, pls what can I do, I need your help
This post was last modified: 02-05-2018, 10:55 PM by hovatek.
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_2016-06-09-13-52-14.jpg
Size: 83.5 KB / Downloads: 202
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
09-06-2016, 09:19 PM
(09-06-2016, 02:13 PM)emmynoni PLS I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP
My infinix zero j608 16gb ROM 2gb ram camera not showing, I also tried to upgrade it 5.0 lollipop, yet still d same, I attached a screenshot of my lock screen, there is call icon by d left, lock icon in the middle, but there is no camera icon by the right, pls what can I do, I need your help

create a new thread
see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
skullnbones
skullnbones
skullnbones
22-06-2016, 09:09 AM

(04-06-2016, 09:57 AM)hovatek For the scatter backup, you can rename the file extensions in order to use them in SP flash tool, e.g recovery.bin to recovery.img

OK, now I have a scatter backup of the main partitions but:

1) I don't know which partitions to rename in .img and
which not (i.e. preloader extension is .bin right?).

2) Do I have to rename only partition image or also its
file name in the scatter.txt?

3) When I try to make a full copy of my device (ticking
all partitions in the 'Select Block' dialog box), I get
'SUM ERR xxxxx xxxxx' during the backup of USERDATA
partition and the operation aborts.
This post was last modified: 22-06-2016, 09:33 AM by skullnbones.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-06-2016, 01:13 PM
(22-06-2016, 09:09 AM)skullnbones OK, now I have a scatter backup of the main partitions but:

1) I don't know which partitions to rename in .img and
which not (i.e. preloader extension is .bin right?).

2) Do I have to rename only partition image or also its
file name in the scatter.txt?

3) When I try to make a full copy of my device (ticking
all partitions in the 'Select Block' dialog box), I get
'SUM ERR xxxxx xxxxx' during the backup of USERDATA
partition and the operation aborts.

1. check the firmware of another Mediatek Android phone. that should help with identifying the extension for each file
2. don't modify the scatter file
3. try backing up another MTK phone to see if you get the same error

Note!
king4ng
king4ng
king4ng
01-07-2016, 03:13 AM
Miracle Box does not recognize Tecno Camon C8, what do we do?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
01-07-2016, 05:00 PM
(01-07-2016, 03:13 AM)king4ng Miracle Box does not recognize Tecno Camon C8, what do we do?
please, explain more

Note!
Jemoh
Jemoh
Jemoh
Techie Member
13-07-2016, 10:37 AM
miraclebox not working on my side
Isabab
Isabab
Isabab
13-07-2016, 01:39 PM

please I can't see scatter file .text after backup techno s3 with miracle .what can be done
Pages (18): 1 2 3 4 518 Next