Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] Cubot X15 Bricked (MT6735)
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Please help] Cubot X15 Bricked (MT6735)

[Please help] Cubot X15 Bricked (MT6735)

dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
Enthusiastic Member
17-10-2016, 11:54 PM

Hi,

I managed to put my Cubot X15 into a boot loop by trying to install Kingroot and SuperSu.  Booting into recovery and 'Factory Reset' only wiped user data but did not fix corrupt system partition.

I then downloaded SP Flash Tool and the 'Stock' ROM from the links at forum.cubot.net .  When I tried to flash this rom using 'Firmware Upgrade', I got a 'Success' message but my phone hard bricked.  No power, no recovery, no response to charging, not recognised by Windows 7.  Any further attempt to flash was met with "BROM ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032) [EMI] Enable DRAM fail".

I have since downloaded a number of ROMs from needrom.com and have managed to flash version X15-19 from that site.  After this the preloader works when I use VOL-UP + POWER but nothing happens when I choose any option, just the screen blanks.  The phone responds to a charger but nothing more.

I have been using SP Flash Tool v5.1640 for linux 64bit from https://androidmtk.com/smart-phone-flash-tool on Ubuntu 13.10.

I also attempted to install a cwm recovery but with no success.  It seems the preloader does not find the next stage (neither boot nor recovery.

Any suggestions?
ALBA
ALBA
ALBA
18-10-2016, 12:08 AM
(17-10-2016, 11:54 PM)dreadpirateroberts Hi,

I managed to put my Cubot X15 into a boot loop by trying to install Kingroot and SuperSu.  Booting into recovery and 'Factory Reset' only wiped user data but did not fix corrupt system partition.

I then downloaded SP Flash Tool and the 'Stock' ROM from the links at forum.cubot.net .  When I tried to flash this rom using 'Firmware Upgrade', I got a 'Success' message but my phone hard bricked.  No power, no recovery, no response to charging, not recognised by Windows 7.  Any further attempt to flash was met with "BROM ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032) [EMI] Enable DRAM fail".

I have since downloaded a number of ROMs from needrom.com and have managed to flash version X15-19 from that site.  After this the preloader works when I use VOL-UP + POWER but nothing happens when I choose any option, just the screen blanks.  The phone responds to a charger but nothing more.

I have been using SP Flash Tool v5.1640 for linux 64bit from https://androidmtk.com/smart-phone-flash-tool on Ubuntu 13.10.

I also attempted to install a cwm recovery but with no success.  It seems the preloader does not find the next stage (neither boot nor recovery.

Any suggestions?
First Rob the battery terminal and the battery plates with cotton and then
Put it to charge and leave it for some hours maybe it will come to life ...
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
Enthusiastic Member
18-10-2016, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the quick answer.

Battery is sealed in phone so I cannot do this. I since tried ROM version X15-14 and the phone booted! I then installed CWM recovery but hadn't enabled 'allow root' in developer options. After I did that, CWM recovery was gone so I tried to flash that again and phone stopped responding again. It would get to preloader screen but that is all.

I have formatted and flashed the ROM again and have plugged in to charger to see what happens. I will leave it charge overnight...
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
Enthusiastic Member
18-10-2016, 10:47 AM
So I charged the phone overnight, then booted into CWM recovery and did a backup of the phone. Rebooted to normal mode and phone is back in action. However, when I reboot into recovery mode, it is stock recovery, CWM recovery is gone.

Also, I enablet 'allow root' and 'usb debug' in developer settings. Even after doing that, I cannot unlock the bootloader. I use 'sudo fastboot oem unlock' and the phone prompts "yes / no". I answer "yes" but it fails with "not allowed".

I presume this is part of why CWM recovery disappears after a reboot.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-10-2016, 01:37 PM

(18-10-2016, 10:47 AM)dreadpirateroberts So I charged the phone overnight, then booted into CWM recovery and did a backup of the phone.  Rebooted to normal mode and phone is back in action.  However, when I reboot into recovery mode, it is stock recovery, CWM recovery is gone.

Also, I enablet 'allow root' and 'usb debug' in developer settings.  Even after doing that, I cannot unlock the bootloader.  I use 'sudo fastboot oem unlock' and the phone prompts "yes / no".  I answer "yes" but it fails with "not allowed".

I presume this is part of why CWM recovery disappears after a reboot.

Stock recovery replaces your CWM recovery every time you reboot because of /system/recovery-from-boot.p .
For the Bootload unlock, did you enable OEM unlocking?
Whats the phone's Android version and exact chipset (i.e MTxxxx)

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
Enthusiastic Member
19-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Phone chipset is MT6735, Android is 5.1 (no more info than that in 'About Phone').

I had OEM unlocking (and USB debug) enabled though it shows up disabled again after a reboot.

I flashed the phone again, this time with the latest ROM X15-19.  After this flash, I enabled OEM unlock and USB debugging.  I then rebooted into Fastboot mode and, from Ubuntu did 'fastboot oem unlock'.  The phone prompted 'Yes / No' and I answered 'Yes'.  This time the unlock was successful and, on reboot, user data was wiped.  

I rebooted into stock recovery to restore my user data, rebooted, ran a 'root check' app which said the phone is not rooted.

I then flashed a CWM recovery which showed up on boot but disappeared on reboot.  It did offer to root the phone (installing /usr/bin/su and dropping me into Fastboot mode).

I'm not clear on whether an OEM unlock is sufficient to root the phone by itself or if I have to do something else too?  Also, can I restore my user data which was backed up by stock recovery using any other tool?  CWM recovery did not offer me the chance while testing.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
20-10-2016, 04:57 PM
(19-10-2016, 09:26 PM)dreadpirateroberts Phone chipset is MT6735, Android is 5.1 (no more info than that in 'About Phone').

I had OEM unlocking (and USB debug) enabled though it shows up disabled again after a reboot.

I flashed the phone again, this time with the latest ROM X15-19.  After this flash, I enabled OEM unlock and USB debugging.  I then rebooted into Fastboot mode and, from Ubuntu did 'fastboot oem unlock'.  The phone prompted 'Yes / No' and I answered 'Yes'.  This time the unlock was successful and, on reboot, user data was wiped.  

I rebooted into stock recovery to restore my user data, rebooted, ran a 'root check' app which said the phone is not rooted.

I then flashed a CWM recovery which showed up on boot but disappeared on reboot.  It did offer to root the phone (installing /usr/bin/su and dropping me into Fastboot mode).

I'm not clear on whether an OEM unlock is sufficient to root the phone by itself or if I have to do something else too?  Also, can I restore my user data which was backed up by stock recovery using any other tool?  CWM recovery did not offer me the chance while testing.

I take it you wish to root but not lose your data.
* Download supersu2.66 and save to phone storage and SDcard
* Since the bootloader is now unlocked and you have your data, flash the CWM recovery then boot into CWM recovery mode.
* In CWM, backup the phone
* After backing up, flash supersu
* If CWM offers to fix root, select No
* Reboot the phone then re-run the root check

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
Enthusiastic Member
20-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Solved. I'm posting this from my newly rooted Cubot X15.

I followed the instructions on m0nt3s YouTube video and corresponding thread on XDA developers.

I flashed cwm recovery, booted into that and installed SuperSU and BusyBox from sd card. This time it worked. I've since rebooted into cwm recovery and done a backup so it appears to be persisting.

I hadn't realised that bootloader unlock was a one time thing and that confused me.

All sorted, thanks for your help...

DPR...
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
Enthusiastic Member
20-10-2016, 08:41 PM
YouTube video at:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Rh18hpHcc

Cubot X15 thread at:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/...3764/page2

Cwm recovery and SuperSU etc from Dropbox link in above thread.

DPR...