If ever you've come across this problem before then you'd have noticed that in most cases, you won't even be able to work on, format or even install windows on the drive.
The following procedure would enable you convert a dynamic drive to basic drive without loss of data / files.
- TestDisk (download @ https://hovatek.com/redirect.php?link=ht...k_Download )
How to Convert Dynamic Drive to Basic Drive
- Extract the contents of the TestDisk zip file and Run TestDisk as admin (TestDisk would open using CMD prompt window, use the navigation and enter keys to select options within the windows)
- When TestDisk opens, Select Create
- In the window that appears next, TestDisk should detects all the drives connected to your computer (hard drives, flash drives as well as SD cards).
Select the faulty disk / drive you intend to fix, select "proceed" and press Enter.
- In the window that appears next, Select the partition type for the drive and press Enter (TestDisk might detect the partition type and display the info as Hint).
- In the window that appears next, Select Analyse and press Enter.
- In the window that appears next, TestDisk should display the current partition structure. Select Backup then press Enter (this is important if you intend to preserve the data within the drive).
- In the window that appears next, TestDisk would begin analysing the drive. so be patient cos it might take a while to complete
- In the window that appears next, If you get an error message "The Harddisk seems too small", simply select Continue and press Enter
- In the window that appears next, TestDisk should now display all the partitions found. Select a partition and press "P" to view the files currently stored on that partition, then press "C" to copy the files to any location of your choice.
- Once done copying out the files, Press Enter.
- In the window that appears next, TestDisk would offer to convert the dynamic drive to basic drive. Select Write then press Enter
- In the window that appears next, press Y to confirm.
- In the window that appears next, select Ok and press Enter
- Exit TestDisk, Disconnect / Reconnect the drive to confirm that it has been converted from a dynamic drive to basic drive.
Credits: goes to cgsecurity for TestDisk