Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to use FlashTool to backup Mediatek Smartwatch firmware
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to use FlashTool to backup Mediatek Smartwatch firmware

[Tutorial] How to use FlashTool to backup Mediatek Smartwatch firmware

hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-04-2017, 05:14 PM

This guide will explain how to dump / backup a Mediatek Smartwatch's ROM / Firmware using FlashTool. Its important to backup in case the device gets bricked or laggy.

Requirements

• Download Flashtool
  • Install Mediatek Smartwatch drivers
  • Take out the Smartwatch's battery > Hold the Power button then connect to PC via USB > Wait till the MTK USB driver is done installing > Reinsert the battery
  • Get the config / scatter file ( in .cfg / .txt format respectively) for the smartwatch
  • Download ReadBack extractor (attached below)

If you encounter any error then check the list of FlashTool errors and their fixes

Steps to use FlashTool to backup Mediatek Smartwatch firmware

Follow the steps below to backup a Mediatek (MTK) Smartwatch's firmware with FlashTool

Part 1: Extracting the raw ReadBack (ROM_0) file

1. Extract and run Flash_tool.exe as Administrator 

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-1.jpg]

2. If Download Agent doesn't contain a path to MTK_AllInOne_DA.bin then click the Download Agent tab

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-2.jpg]

3. In the Window that pops up, navigate to the FlashTool folder, highlight MTK_AllInOne_DA.bin and click Open

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-3.jpg]

4. Click the Scatter / Config file tab

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-4.jpg]

5. In the Window that pops up, navigate to the location of the config or scatter file, highlight it then click Open

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-5.jpg]

6. Depending on what other files are in the same folder as your config / scatter file, you might or might not get a read file failed error. Now, click the Read Back tab at the top

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-6.jpg]

7. Highlight whatever entry you find under ReadBack and click Remove

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-7.jpg]

8.  Click Add

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-8.jpg]

9. A new entry should appear, double-click it

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...Tool-9.jpg]

10. In the Window that pops up, navigate to the folder you wish to save the ROM_0 file then click Save

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-10.jpg]

11. In the Readback block start address tab that pops up, set Start Address as 0x00000000 and Length of whichever block you wish to stop (a full ReadBack often has length of 0x01000000 , 0x00800000 or 0x00400000) then click OK

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-11.jpg]

12. Click Read Back (with an arrow above it)

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-12.jpg]

13. Stop should now be Red in color. Power off the Smartwatch (with battery inside) then connect to PC via USB without holding the Power button

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-13.jpg]

14. The Smartwatch should get detected, do not interrupt the process

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-14.jpg]

15. Once Read Back is done, you should see a green circle. You may now disconnect the phone and close FlashTool

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-15.jpg]

16. Check the ROM_0 file

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-16.jpg]

Part 2: Processing the ROM_0 file

1. Extract ReadBack extractor into the same folder as ROM_0 and launch it

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-17.jpg]

2. Click Load Readback file

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-18.jpg]

3. In the Window that pops up, navigate to the folder where the ROM_0 is located, highlight the file and click Open

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-19.jpg]

4. Wait while the file is checked 

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-20.jpg]

5. If the file is OK then you should see Binary file report: health 100% . Click Rebuild Firmware

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-21.jpg]

6. Wait while the firmware is being rebuilt 

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-22.jpg]

7. Once Rebuilding is completed, you should see ALL DONE and the rebuilt files in the same folder as the ROM_0 file

[Image: How-to-dump-or-backup-a-Mediatek-Smartwa...ool-23.jpg]

8. You may close ReadBack extractor

Important Notice
  • Avoid interrupting the backup process as this could cause the smartwatch to go dead
  • If Flash Tool has trouble detecting your smartwatch then ensure to use the latest version
  • If you get an error while trying to use readback extractor then try cutting the rom using fwsplitter tool ; see the usage @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-321...#pid186307
This post was last modified: 31-01-2020, 11:49 PM by X3non.
Attached Files
.zip
Readback Extractor mtk 2.4.zip
Size: 127.45 KB / Downloads: 288

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
dieko
dieko
dieko
12-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Hi Admin. How do I get the .cfg file for my V8 watch
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-09-2018, 04:52 PM
(12-09-2018, 02:54 PM)dieko Hi Admin. How do I get the .cfg file for my V8 watch

search online for the firmware for your smartwatch model; you can get cfg file from there OR you use the cfg file of any other watch running the same chipset as yours
y1max
y1max
y1max
23-08-2019, 11:22 PM
(02-04-2017, 05:14 PM)hovatek ...

Hello Admin,
I am getting problem to take back up of my Y1 watch with MT6261D . I have installed all the drivers from your driver folders, 1 by 1.Though all those are showing in Yellow marks. Then i was following the tutorial of the back up process. What i noticed the differences, the port in your screenshot are showing searching before you started Read back process and after connect watch its changed to Com port. Also the type, before read back was showing NOR, later NFB.. In my case, its always showing the com1 (communication port of pc)not searching, also always showing NOR the type.
Can you please help me what is going wrong? Also if possible the set up of the Flash tool..

I also forgot to tell, when i connecting my watch (switched off) its started the charging process. I am a beginner.
Thank you for your help.
This post was last modified: 24-08-2019, 12:23 PM by X3non.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
24-08-2019, 12:32 PM

(23-08-2019, 11:22 PM)y1max

Hello Admin,
I am getting problem to take back up of my Y1 watch with MT6261D . I have installed all the drivers from your driver folders, 1 by 1.Though all those are showing in Yellow marks. Then i was following the tutorial of the back up process. What i noticed the differences, the port in your screenshot are showing searching before you started Read back process and after connect watch its changed to Com port. Also the type, before read back was showing NOR, later NFB.. In my case, its always showing the com1 (communication port of pc)not searching, also always showing NOR the type.
Can you please help me what is going wrong? Also if possible the set up of the Flash tool..

I also forgot to tell, when i connecting my watch (switched off) its started the charging process. I am a beginner.
Thank you for your help.

link for flash tool is under "Requirements" in the first post
retry the backup process this time, when you click readback, connect the watch then single press the power button on the watch
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
25-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Hello Admin,

Thank you for your help.

Take out the Smartwatch's battery > Hold the Power button then connect to PC via USB > Wait till the MTK USB driver is done installing > Reinsert the battery
Also try https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-17758.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
y1max
y1max
y1max
25-08-2019, 02:01 PM
(25-08-2019, 08:11 AM)hovatek

Hello Admin,

Thank you for your help.

Take out the Smartwatch's battery > Hold the Power button then connect to PC via USB > Wait till the MTK USB driver is done installing > Reinsert the battery
Also try https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-17758.html

Thank you for your reply. I have tried that option as well, but its not popping up any message, even its not showing something is connected.. I am in total dark in this situation. The watch just start charging when its connecting the PC, not other pop up in computer.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
26-08-2019, 11:12 AM
(25-08-2019, 02:01 PM)y1max Thank you for your reply. I have tried that option as well, but its not popping up any message, even its not showing something is connected.. I am in total dark in this situation. The watch just start charging when its connecting the PC, not other pop up in computer.

create a new thread for your device issue by clicking "Ask Question" at the top