Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Development] How to Update Rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Development] How to Update Rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus

[Development] How to Update Rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus

babadubu
babadubu
babadubu
Enthusiastic Member
04-04-2017, 10:02 AM

I have a rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus. However i can never successfully update the system OTA. Is there any means to allow updates or will i remain stuck and miss out on any new features or fixes?
This post was last modified: 04-04-2017, 10:02 AM by babadubu.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
04-04-2017, 12:13 PM
(04-04-2017, 10:02 AM)babadubu I have a rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus. However i can never successfully update the system OTA. Is there any means to allow updates or will i remain stuck and miss out on any new features or fixes?

The Tecno Phantom 6 Plus rooting guide we posted uses systemless root and also shouldn't overwrite your stock recovery. The only file patched is boot.img
If you had done a TWRP backup before flashing superSU.zip then all you would have to do is flash back that boot.img then do a factory reset and you're all set for OTA.
If not, you'll need boot.img from the stock ROM

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
babadubu
babadubu
babadubu
Enthusiastic Member
04-04-2017, 01:19 PM
(04-04-2017, 12:13 PM)hovatek
(04-04-2017, 10:02 AM)babadubu I have a rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus. However i can never successfully update the system OTA. Is there any means to allow updates or will i remain stuck and miss out on any new features or fixes?

The Tecno Phantom 6 Plus rooting guide we posted uses systemless root and also shouldn't overwrite your stock recovery. The only file patched is boot.img
If you had done a TWRP backup before flashing superSU.zip then all you would have to do is flash back that boot.img then do a factory reset and you're all set for OTA.

Yes i followed the Hovatek guide but unfortunately I did not do the TWRP backup. Is there a place I can obtain the stock ROM and will the same rooting method work with an updated system?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
04-04-2017, 03:47 PM
(04-04-2017, 01:19 PM)babadubu Yes i followed the Hovatek guide but unfortunately I did not do the TWRP backup. Is there a place I can obtain the stock ROM and will the same rooting method work with an updated system?

We'll list the firmware @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-311.html once available although it would help if you could get access to an unrooted one.
As for rooting after an update, it should work but sometimes it doesn't work and requires us to port another custom recovery for the new build

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
francisdrake005
francisdrake005
francisdrake005
Techie Member
26-10-2018, 10:39 AM

(04-04-2017, 01:19 PM)babadubu
(04-04-2017, 12:13 PM)hovatek
(04-04-2017, 10:02 AM)babadubu
I have a rooted Tecno Phantom 6 Plus. However i can never successfully update the system OTA. Is there any means to allow updates or will i remain stuck and miss out on any new features or fixes?

Yes i followed the Hovatek guide but unfortunately I did not do the TWRP backup. Is there a place I can obtain the stock ROM and will the same rooting method work with an updated system?

I don't know if you really flashed superSu,zip or Magisk. In case of Magisk, if only the boot.img is patched and all other partitions are stock, you won't need a rom. Flashing Magisk Uninstaller will restore your stock boot.img. Normally, magisk backs up your stock boot so that unrooting becomes easy.

Sent from my David's Smartphone using Hovatek Mobile