Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android how to format recovery partition not formatting the others
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

how to format recovery partition not formatting the others

how to format recovery partition not formatting the others

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
amaury1967
amaury1967
amaury1967
Experienced Member
27-04-2017, 06:25 PM

Hello, In thecase of MTK Devices, How could I format recovery partition, without formating any other partition?...... and in general, how can I format any individual partition without formatting any other partition?....

Thanks before hands
essayn
essayn
essayn
28-04-2017, 01:22 AM
Since shigege & Ankitnandgavia already answered the question how to erase (try to avoid the term "format" e.g. TWRP, as this not only erasing a partition but could completely remove an MTB, and u won´t need that as long as u aren´t familiar with file-based- or full-disc -encryption) here are again some fastboot-commands which has to be entered in the command prompt:

fastboot erase boot —-> to erase kernel or boot.img
fastboot erase recovery —-> to remove recovery.img
fastboot erase system —-> to remove all system folder
fastboot erase userdata —-> to remove all data

etc...

So, if u still want to have an (in ur case not necessary) dis-encryption of each partition (which is NOT recommended)
U may boot into your recovery, connect device to a computer via ADB and type in cmd i.e.:

adb shell recovery --wipe_data --set_filesystem_encryption=off

The device reboots into system.

If u don't have a computer nearby to ADB with, u may run this command directly from the phone via any terminal-emu:

recovery --wipe_data --set_filesystem_encryption=off

And so on...

Before doing any of the steps above, I advise u to read i.e. this thread first, just to get some rudimentary basics.

fyi:_____________
I´m not responsible for anything what could happens to ur device, as it´s all your choice.

Regards and good luck.
amaury1967
amaury1967
amaury1967
Experienced Member
28-04-2017, 04:17 PM
(28-04-2017, 01:22 AM)essayn Since shigege & Ankitnandgavia already answered the question how to erase (try to avoid the term "format" e.g. TWRP, as this not only erasing a partition but could completely remove an MTB, and u won´t need that as long as u aren´t familiar with file-based- or full-disc -encryption) here are again some fastboot-commands which has to be entered in the command prompt:

etc...

So, if u still want to have an (in ur case not necessary) dis-encryption of each partition (which is NOT recommended)
U may boot into your recovery, connect device to a computer via ADB and type in cmd i.e.:

If u don't have a computer nearby to ADB with, u may run this command directly from the phone via any terminal-emu:

And so on...

Before doing any of the steps above, I advise u to read i.e. this thread first, just to get some rudimentary basics.

I´m not responsible for anything what could happens to ur device, as it´s all your choice.

Regards and good luck.

Hello, thanks a lot for your so complete information. I will read a littel and then I will do it, and I´ll let you know the results. Have a great weekend
amaury1967
amaury1967
amaury1967
Experienced Member
02-05-2017, 05:14 PM
(28-04-2017, 04:17 PM)amaury1967
(28-04-2017, 01:22 AM)essayn Since shigege & Ankitnandgavia already answered the question how to erase (try to avoid the term "format" e.g. TWRP, as this not only erasing a partition but could completely remove an MTB, and u won´t need that as long as u aren´t familiar with file-based- or full-disc -encryption) here are again some fastboot-commands which has to be entered in the command prompt:

etc...

And so on...

Regards and good luck.

Hello, thanks a lot for your so complete information. I will read a littel and then I will do it, and I´ll let you know the results. Have a great weekend

Hello again, first at all, I´ve being using fastboot since some time ago, and my fastboot is working ok, I type fastboot devices and my phone is showed, or I type fastboot getvar unlocked, and I get the answer unlocked: yes, the command to unlock bootloader has worked well too, of course, so, I don´t know why, when I type fastboot erase recovery I get this answer: “FAILED (remote: unknown command)”. What do you think could be happenning?, thanks a lot before hands, have a great day.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
02-05-2017, 07:51 PM

(02-05-2017, 05:14 PM)amaury1967 Hello again, first at all, I´ve being using fastboot since some time ago, and my fastboot is working ok, I type fastboot devices and my phone is showed, or I type fastboot getvar unlocked, and I get the answer unlocked: yes, the command to unlock bootloader has worked well too, of course, so, I don´t know why, when I type fastboot erase recovery I get this answer: “FAILED (remote: unknown command)”. What do you think could be happenning?, thanks a lot before hands, have a great day.

Try fastboot format instead

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
essayn
essayn
essayn
02-05-2017, 10:26 PM
(02-05-2017, 05:14 PM)amaury1967 ...I don´t know why, when I type fastboot erase recovery I get this answer: “FAILED (remote: unknown command)”. What do you think could be happenning?, thanks a lot before hands, have a great day

Hovatek is right, almost every command-line has an optional command. So u may try as he said: fastboot format recovery

Just in case u need more fastboot-commands, here u can find some of the most important commands. But u may type help also, to get several fb-commands aswell.
amaury1967
amaury1967
amaury1967
Experienced Member
03-05-2017, 10:03 PM
(02-05-2017, 10:26 PM)essayn
(02-05-2017, 05:14 PM)amaury1967 ...I don´t know why, when I type fastboot erase recovery I get this answer: “FAILED (remote: unknown command)”. What do you think could be happenning?, thanks a lot before hands, have a great day

Hovatek is right, almost every command-line has an optional command. So u may try as he said: fastboot format recovery

Just in case u need more fastboot-commands, here u can find some of the most important commands. But u may type help also, to get several fb-commands aswell.

Fastboot format partition also fails, Prompt return ==> “Formating is not supported for file system with ´raw data´”

It is really misterious my phone.....cause, when I type fastboot only, then return, fastboot shows between its commans, fastboot erase partition, but, as I showed u yesterday, it does not work either...so....I really don´t know what is happening with this issue....by, thanks...
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
04-05-2017, 09:57 AM
(03-05-2017, 10:03 PM)amaury1967 Fastboot format partition also fails, Prompt return ==> “Formating is not supported for file system with ´raw data´”

It is really misterious my phone.....cause, when I type fastboot only, then return, fastboot shows between its commans, fastboot erase partition, but, as I showed u yesterday, it does not work either...so....I really don´t know what is happening with this issue....by, thanks...

Lets focus on the end game here.
Why are you bent on formatting your partitions?

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
amaury1967
amaury1967
amaury1967
Experienced Member
04-05-2017, 02:55 PM
(04-05-2017, 09:57 AM)hovatek
(03-05-2017, 10:03 PM)amaury1967 Fastboot format partition also fails, Prompt return ==> “Formating is not supported for file system with ´raw data´”

Lets focus on the end game here.
Why are you bent on formatting your partitions?

heheheh, I assumed you would ask that question at any time. Well, I want to format a partition for the usual, to have it clean before writing something again, you know, many times, specially when something is not right, better format than overwrite, better format before rewriting something, Format exists just for this, does not it?

This is the only reason I wanted to format. I imagine doing a Partition Wipe with the TWRP for example does the same, but I'm not 100% sure. But in the TWRP can only be made Wipe some partitions, of course, the most indicated, and only as research, i wanted to know if other partition can be formatted too, I repeat, this last one, only as research.

I also wanted to make a Format System with the FastBoot, or another tool, instead of Wipe System with the TWRP, before flashing a System repacked, you know, looking to do things to see if it finally managed to make the system repacked work well, you know , the other issue we have been dealing with.

This is all about why I was trying to see how to format MTK partitions individually, without formatting another partition, but we can leave this topic here, it's not that important either.

Only I will be intrigued about why these fastboot commands do not work on my phone, and who knows?, maybe both issues, this and the failed unpack-repack system are due to the same reason, misterious things of my phone... ;o)
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
04-05-2017, 08:47 PM

(04-05-2017, 02:55 PM)amaury1967 heheheh, I assumed you would ask that question at any time. Well, I want to format a partition for the usual, to have it clean before writing something again, you know, many times, specially when something is not right, better format than overwrite, better format before rewriting something, Format exists just for this, does not it?

This is the only reason I wanted to format. I imagine doing a Partition Wipe with the TWRP for example does the same, but I'm not 100% sure. But in the TWRP can only be made Wipe some partitions, of course, the most indicated, and only as research, i wanted to know if other partition can be formatted too, I repeat, this last one, only as research.

I also wanted to make a Format System with the FastBoot, or another tool, instead of Wipe System with the TWRP, before flashing a System repacked, you know, looking to do things to see if it finally managed to make the system repacked work well, you know , the other issue we have been dealing with.

This is all about why I was trying to see how to format MTK partitions individually, without formatting another partition, but we can leave this topic here, it's not that important either.

Only I will be intrigued about why these fastboot commands do not work on my phone, and who knows?, maybe both issues, this and the failed unpack-repack system are due to the same reason, misterious things of my phone... ;o)

All partition can be formatted (at a time) using SP Flash tool or Miracle Box.

Note!
Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next