Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] How do I restore WiFi and IMEI on Tecno A7 Phantom Z
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] How do I restore WiFi and IMEI on Tecno A7 Phantom Z

[Please help] How do I restore WiFi and IMEI on Tecno A7 Phantom Z

Ladi
Ladi
Ladi
03-07-2017, 12:22 AM

Hello All,

I rooted my Tecno Phantom Z because I wanted to update the rather outdated Android 4.4.2. The only method that worked was Kingroot. However I was not comfortable with having Kingroot on my phone, especially as it reinstalled itself after I did a factory reset! Anyhow, I finally decided to flash the Hovatek stock ROM, which worked just fine, but now my WiFi address keeps after reboot, invalid IMEI errors, etc. A little research made me realise that I must have nuked my data partition while restoring stock. Luckily, I have backups of my system, data and cache partitions. Is it safe to restore these, and could someone please advise on how to achieve this.

Thanks!
This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM by Ladi.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
03-07-2017, 01:17 PM
(03-07-2017, 12:22 AM)Ladi Hello All,

I rooted my Tecno Phantom Z because I wanted to update the rather outdated Android 4.4.2. The only method that worked was Kingroot. However I was not comfortable with having Kingroot on my phone, especially as it reinstalled itself after I did a factory reset! Anyhow, I finally decided to flash the Hovatek stock ROM, which worked just fine, but now my WiFi address keeps after reboot, invalid IMEI errors, etc. A little research made me realise that I must have nuked my data partition while restoring stock. Luckily, I have backups of my system, data and cache partitions. Is it safe to restore these, and could someone please advise on how to achieve this.

Thanks!

Yes, you can restore those if you wish.
Does your phone have a valid Baseband? If yes then write IMEI using Maui Meta or GSM Aladdin @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-116.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Ladi
Ladi
Ladi
03-07-2017, 02:39 PM
(03-07-2017, 01:17 PM)hovatek Yes, you can restore those if you wish.
Does your phone have a valid Baseband? If yes then write IMEI using Maui Meta or GSM Aladdin @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-116.html
Many thanks for the response.

The baseband is valid. 

However, I get an invalid IMEI. Can these tools recover the original IMEI or do they simply generate a random number? I also have MAC filtering on my WiFi, so I need to stabilise the address, which is why I would like to restore just the data partition. Is it possible to do this without re-rooting the phone?

Here is what I'm thinking, if there is no other way:-
1: Re-root phone with Kingroot (which I consider to be malicious, but it is the only method I've tried that worked)
2: Install root file manager and replace all of /data with the backup copy
3: Re-flash stock ROM with SP tools, but take care not to overwrite /data.

Is this advisable, and will it work?
This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 03:17 PM by Ladi.
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
03-07-2017, 06:40 PM
(03-07-2017, 02:39 PM)Ladi
(03-07-2017, 01:17 PM)hovatek Yes, you can restore those if you wish.
Many thanks for the response.

The baseband is valid. 

However, I get an invalid IMEI. Can these tools recover the original IMEI or do they simply generate a random number? I also have MAC filtering on my WiFi, so I need to stabilise the address, which is why I would like to restore just the data partition. Is it possible to do this without re-rooting the phone?

Here is what I'm thinking, if there is no other way:-
1: Re-root phone with Kingroot (which I consider to be malicious, but it is the only method I've tried that worked)
2: Install root file manager and replace all of /data with the backup copy
3: Re-flash stock ROM  with SP tools, but take care not to overwrite /data.

Is this advisable, and will it work?

You don't need root access to recover both IMEI and MAC, Just check the link that Admin sent in his reply there is rooted and non-rooted method. If your device is not rooted then try the non-rooted method first.
Ladi
Ladi
Ladi
05-07-2017, 07:53 PM

(03-07-2017, 06:40 PM)innagee You don't need root access to recover both IMEI and MAC, Just check the link that Admin sent in his reply there is rooted and non-rooted method. If your device is not rooted then try the non-rooted method first.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

What I finally did was to open an adb shell as root, and clear out the data partition.
I then extracted the backup and everything worked ok.

I then installed a system app uninstaller, removed Kingroot and all the unnecessary bloat 'system' apps that are packed into the stock ROM. So my phone is now working properly. I no longer have root, but I have removed all the rubbish I was trying to get rid of in the first place. 

Thanks again :-)