Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead?
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead?

[Please help] Soft Brick, Hard Brick, or Totally Dead?

rhavoc
rhavoc
rhavoc
Enthusiastic Member
24-07-2017, 06:03 AM

Hi Guys!

My phone, which is based on the MT6592 chipset, suddenly displayed a "Privacy Protection Password" a couple of days ago. Searching the internet, I came upon references to this being brought about by activating the Anti-Theft option in Android, which was triggered when I changed one of the sims on my phone to make a call. 

Anyway, last Saturday, I was still able to bypass the protection somehow, so I didn't think too much of it, and I thought it would go away when I put the original sim back in. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and yesterday, it was impossible to bypass the protection. After searching for about half a day, I came upon several tools that would be able to clear this security issue, so I downloaded those that claim to be able to do so, and only one software actually ran on my machine. When I was about to perform the security removal, the software called my attention that it will erase the user data, so I proceeded to do a firmware backup with a user data dump. 

Before fiddling with the security issue though, I thought it might be best to have an original ROM for my phone, just in case, so I downloaded it, and downloaded the SP Flash tool linked in the page containing the ROM. Excited with my find, I then tested my downloads to make sure they work, and sure enough, AFAICT, the downloads were okay, and I even tried the "no battery" option of SPFT. And this is where it came crashing down. Distracted by something, I forgot that I took out the battery before clicking the "Clear Security" button. A warning popped up, saying I need to make sure that the battery is charged and that the phone is off before continuing, and as I was distracted, I forgot to double check if the battery was attached and I clicked on continue...

It was only after the software said "Done" did I get to check the phone, and there I saw by its side, the battery.

I tried to open the phone, and all I got was the power on sound, no display. I tried to get to boot recovery mode, and I was able to access it, so I thought there might still be a chance of salvaging the phone. When I rebooted it, it went to a boot loop for a few times before I heard the power on sound and this time I decided to wait, hopefully the phone will be able to recover. So I waited for 30 minutes, but there was no visible activity on the phone -- no display and the power button didn't work. So I took the matter in my own hands. I decided to just flash the phone and be done with it.

And so the troubles began. I ran into a string of BROM ERROR S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTINGS_FAIL (5054), and BROM ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032) [EMI] Enable DRAM fail. Doing a spot search and trial and error, I was able to "fix"the said errors at one point or another until now (well, technically around 2AM), when the SPFT can't even detect the DRAM and no amount of formatting / format all + Download / Firmware upgrade seems to do anything.

My only consolation being, at least the phone is still detected by the laptop and SPFT. Which brings me to my original inquiry: is the phone bricked (soft / hard) or really dead?

If it's only bricked, can the gurus please help? The unit in question is Cherry Mobile Flare S Play.

Thanks a lot! 
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
24-07-2017, 12:34 PM
(24-07-2017, 06:03 AM)rhavoc Hi Guys!

If it's only bricked, can the gurus please help? The unit in question is Cherry Mobile Flare S Play.

Thanks a lot! 

you could easily clear the PPP lock using the miracle box guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13323.html
BUT thats BTW now
whats the current state of your device.. i.e what happens when you try to power on the device?
it seems like you'll need to download another stock rom
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
24-07-2017, 02:35 PM
If it's only bricked, can the gurus please help? The unit in question is Cherry Mobile Flare S Play.[/color][/color]

Thanks a lot! 

Are you still able to successfully flash the stock ROM you downloaded using SP Flash tool (Download / Firmware upgrade, NOT Format)?

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
rhavoc
rhavoc
rhavoc
Enthusiastic Member
24-07-2017, 06:07 PM
(24-07-2017, 12:34 PM)X3non

Thanks a lot! 

you could easily clear the PPP lock using the miracle box guide @ 
Code:

https :// www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13323. html

BUT thats BTW now
whats the current state of your device.. i.e what happens when you try to power on the device?
it seems like you'll need to download another stock rom

Unfortunately, nothing. When I plug it in to the charger, nothing.   Sad

I already have 2 copies of the stock rom. One is from needroms and the other from another source.
This post was last modified: 24-07-2017, 06:10 PM by rhavoc. Edit Reason: Add additional info
rhavoc
rhavoc
rhavoc
Enthusiastic Member
24-07-2017, 08:31 PM

(24-07-2017, 02:35 PM)hovatek
If it's only bricked, can the gurus please help? The unit in question is Cherry Mobile Flare S Play.[/color][/color]

Thanks a lot! 

Are you still able to successfully flash the stock ROM you downloaded using SP Flash tool (Download / Firmware upgrade, NOT Format)?

Unfortunately, no. The 4032 DRAM error always comes up.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
25-07-2017, 12:40 AM
(24-07-2017, 08:31 PM)rhavoc Unfortunately, no. The 4032 DRAM error always comes up.

Error 4032 is a mismatch error (refer to https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-439.html )
I hope you're not pressing Volume down button when connecting to PC for flashing.
Can I see a full screenshot of the error message

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
rhavoc
rhavoc
rhavoc
Enthusiastic Member
25-07-2017, 04:41 AM
(25-07-2017, 12:40 AM)hovatek
(24-07-2017, 08:31 PM)rhavoc Unfortunately, no. The 4032 DRAM error always comes up.

Error 4032 is a mismatch error (refer to 
Code:

https:// forum . hovatek . com / thread-439 . html
)

I hope you're not pressing Volume down button when connecting to PC for flashing.
Can I see a full screenshot of the error message

I wasn't pressing the Volume down button as I manually chose the "no battery"option. The computer doesn't detect the phone properly when the battery is in the phone (uknown USB device).

Anyway, I took X3non's advice and searched for another rom. It took me almost all night, but I found one that worked. I was able to flash the phone using just the Download option, so the hardest part is over, the phone is alive once again.  Big Grin 

I was wondering though, if can I use the firmware backup I did on my phone? It produced a scatter-file based backup, but when I tried to load it using SP Flash Tool, SPFT was saying something about the PMT being changed for the ROM, it must be downloaded.

.png
PMT chnaged.png
Size: 6.29 KB / Downloads: 4

Is it safe to do a Format All + Download as SPFT suggests?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
25-07-2017, 11:13 AM
(25-07-2017, 04:41 AM)rhavoc ...
I was wondering though, if can I use the firmware backup I did on my phone? It produced a scatter-file based backup, but when I tried to load it using SP Flash Tool, SPFT was saying something about the PMT being changed for the ROM, it must be downloaded.

if the backup was taking from your device, and has all necessary partitions to boot up the device then you can format first before download
the question is how exactly did you make this backup?
rhavoc
rhavoc
rhavoc
Enthusiastic Member
31-07-2017, 09:14 PM
(25-07-2017, 11:13 AM)X3non
(25-07-2017, 04:41 AM)rhavoc ...

if the backup was taking from your device, and has all necessary partitions to boot up the device then you can format first before download
the question is how exactly did you make this backup?
I used the first tool I saw before SPFT - it says NCK Android MTK.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

(31-07-2017, 09:14 PM)rhavoc I used the first tool I saw before SPFT - it says NCK Android MTK.

you can try flashing the backup
if you get the PMT changed error message, then format first before flashing the rom OR flash using firmware upgrade