Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android KB900 Tablet MT6580 issues flashing recovery
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

KB900 Tablet MT6580 issues flashing recovery

KB900 Tablet MT6580 issues flashing recovery

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next
triki
triki
triki
25-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Hello,

I purchased a KB900 tablet which says it has a MT8752 but after taking the tablet apart and looking at the physical chip, it's actually a MT6580. I follow this site to create a custom CWM recovery(developerswork.github.io/works/GUIDES/AndrodDeviceTree/) and when I try to flash with fastboot then reboot and try to access the new recovery it doesn't load, sits for a minute then loads right into Android. Anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong ? Any hope would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,
triki
This post was last modified: 25-10-2017, 09:23 PM by triki.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
26-10-2017, 11:19 AM
(25-10-2017, 09:22 PM)triki Hello,

I purchased a KB900 tablet which says it has a MT8752 but after taking the tablet apart and looking at the physical chip, it's actually a MT6580. I follow this site to create a custom CWM recovery(developerswork.github.io/works/GUIDES/AndrodDeviceTree/) and when I try to flash with fastboot then reboot and try to access the new recovery it doesn't load, sits for a minute then loads right into Android. Anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong ? Any hope would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,
triki

That means the recovery either isn't for your device or isn't well ported (i.e using a wrong base / source)

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
triki
triki
triki
26-10-2017, 02:09 PM
(26-10-2017, 11:19 AM)hovatek That means the recovery either isn't for your device or isn't well ported (i.e using a wrong base / source)

Thank you for your reply, I guess the document i followed was incorrect.
triki
triki
triki
26-10-2017, 06:48 PM
(26-10-2017, 02:09 PM)triki
(26-10-2017, 11:19 AM)hovatek That means the recovery either isn't for your device or isn't well ported (i.e using a wrong base / source)

Thank you for your reply, I guess the document i followed was incorrect.

Since the tablet will not boot anymore, does this mean I need to JTAG to fix this ?
When I try to flash with Miracle Box I get error "ERR21002.00"
When I try to flash my backup with SP Tools I get the error "Storage mismatch"

Update: 
Been working on getting into META-mode, but when I connect the tablet to the PC I see it goes into META-mode as MediaTek USB Port then dissapears and comes back as MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM and just keep cycling between the two drivers. Now sure why this is happening.
This post was last modified: 26-10-2017, 10:12 PM by triki.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
27-10-2017, 11:07 AM

(26-10-2017, 06:48 PM)triki Since the tablet will not boot anymore, does this mean I need to JTAG to fix this ?

Update: 
Been working on getting into META-mode, but when I connect the tablet to the PC I see it goes into META-mode as MediaTek USB Port then dissapears and comes back as MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM and just keep cycling between the two drivers. Now sure why this is happening.

1. How did it go from recovery not working (booting straight to Android) to dead? Could you shed more light.
2. The mismatch error you're getting in SP Flash tools means you're either using an incompatible scatter file / rom or wrong flash settings. Could you share a full screenshot of the SP Flash tool error message

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
triki
triki
triki
27-10-2017, 02:20 PM
(27-10-2017, 11:07 AM)hovatek
(26-10-2017, 06:48 PM)triki Since the tablet will not boot anymore, does this mean I need to JTAG to fix this ?

Update: 

1. How did it go from recovery not working (booting straight to Android) to dead? Could you shed more light.
2. The mismatch error you're getting in SP Flash tools means you're either using an incompatible scatter file / rom or wrong flash settings. Could you share a full screenshot of the SP Flash tool error message

1. I created a recovery with this doc(developerswork.github.io/works/GUIDES/AndrodDeviceTree/), and after I flashed it the system booted up fine, but when I went to shut it down manually the entire tablet interface was locked so I hard to hard reset with the button on the side of the tablet, and after that it would not turn on.
After doing a lot of searching I found a tutorial on your site for how to hardwire the device into META-mode. I'm hoping this will allow the device to stay in that mode so I can flash it.

2. Not sure how the scatter file could be incompatible as I pulled it from this device with SP Flash Tool. I will get a screenshot of the errors.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated !

Update: I've added the screenshot as an attachment
I get this error when I open the scatter file I pulled from the device with SPF Tool. So i'm confused as to why it's invalid.
This post was last modified: 27-10-2017, 02:51 PM by triki.
Attached Files
.png
SPFL-error.png
Size: 57.86 KB / Downloads: 10
triki
triki
triki
27-10-2017, 05:06 PM
(27-10-2017, 02:20 PM)triki
(27-10-2017, 11:07 AM)hovatek

Update: 

1. I created a recovery with this doc(developerswork.github.io/works/GUIDES/AndrodDeviceTree/), and after I flashed it the system booted up fine, but when I went to shut it down manually the entire tablet interface was locked so I hard to hard reset with the button on the side of the tablet, and after that it would not turn on.
After doing a lot of searching I found a tutorial on your site for how to hardwire the device into META-mode. I'm hoping this will allow the device to stay in that mode so I can flash it.

2. Not sure how the scatter file could be incompatible as I pulled it from this device with SP Flash Tool. I will get a screenshot of the errors.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated !

Update: I've added the screenshot as an attachment
I get this error when I open the scatter file I pulled from the device with SPF Tool. So i'm confused as to why it's invalid.

After some playing around, I installed USBView to watch what happens on the USB ports and now the device seems to be staying in META-Mode for a bit longer than it was before, issue is that when i load the scatter file I backed up with SPFTool I get the error:

Storage type mismatch!
scatter file storage type is HW_STORAGE_EMMC
target storage type is HW_STORAGE_NONE

Update:
What I think allowed me to get the tablet to stay in META-MODE was to press the reset button twce. After testing a couple times, when I only press the reset button once and plug in the tablet USB with volume- down it loops between meta-mode and recovery. But if I press the reset button twice, then plug in the tablet with volume- down, it stays in META-MODE for almost a minute.
This post was last modified: 27-10-2017, 06:21 PM by triki.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
27-10-2017, 06:45 PM
(27-10-2017, 05:06 PM)triki After some playing around, I installed USBView to watch what happens on the USB ports and now the device seems to be staying in META-Mode for a bit longer than it was before, issue is that when i load the scatter file I backed up with SPFTool I get the error:
Update:
What I think allowed me to get the tablet to stay in META-MODE was to press the reset button twce. After testing a couple times, when I only press the reset button once and plug in the tablet USB with volume- down it loops between meta-mode and recovery. But if I press the reset button twice, then plug in the tablet with volume- down, it stays in META-MODE for almost a minute.

it seems you are doing somethings wrong.
the name of the scatter file looks wrong, seems like it was renamed.
it seems like you made this backup you are trying to flash using some tool of some sort. if you made this scatter file dump using miracle box, then you'll need to flash it back using miracle box

also rename the scatter file from "scatter-backup.txt" to "MT6580_Android_scatter"
triki
triki
triki
27-10-2017, 07:48 PM
(27-10-2017, 06:45 PM)X3non
(27-10-2017, 05:06 PM)triki After some playing around, I installed USBView to watch what happens on the USB ports and now the device seems to be staying in META-Mode for a bit longer than it was before, issue is that when i load the scatter file I backed up with SPFTool I get the error:
Update:

it seems you are doing somethings wrong.
the name of the scatter file looks wrong, seems like it was renamed.
it seems like you made this backup you are trying to flash using some tool of some sort. if you made this scatter file dump using miracle box, then you'll need to flash it back using miracle box

also rename the scatter file from "scatter-backup.txt" to "MT6580_Android_scatter"

Hello, thanks for looking at this Smile
I made the scatter backup with MTKDroidTool, I didn't know that renaming the file would affect anything. I have fixed the name of the scatter file and tried to load it again and got the same error.
triki
triki
triki
27-10-2017, 08:08 PM

After renaming the scatter file I kept getting the Boundary Check Failed error.
Found a site that explains this error and the fix and seemed to work Smile
Just had to change the boundary_check for the PRELOADER.

Boundary Check Failed

Message: Boundary Check Failed: rom_end_addr >= next rom begin_addr.
ROM(PRELOADER): rom_end_addr(0x000000000001cbd3)!
Next ROM(PGPT): m_begin_addr(0x0000000000000000)

Meaning: The firmware has a partition that wasn't included while backing up the firmware. SP flash tool encounters an error in the end address of the preloader partition and the begin address of PGPT partition (i.e the partition which wasn't included in the backup)

Solution:
Close the error message,  then manually select the location of all files in the scatter file from the bottom to the top. Meaning that preloader would be the last thing you'll select
If that doesn't work, open and modify the scatter file using Notepad++ then change "boundary_check: True" to "boundary_check: False"
If after modifying the scatter file and you still encounter the same or a different error, then flash the firmware using miracle box.

Now that I got past that error, now I'm back at this one:

Storage type mismatch!

scatter file storage type is HW_STORAGE_EMMC
target storage type is HW_STORAGE_NONE

Update:
I have been jumping around trying to fix this and I got confused as to which program I used to backup the device before I bricked it. I thought I used MTKDroidTool, but now that I think about it, I believe I used Micrable Box to back it up and get the scatter file. Does this mean I can only use the scatter file with Miracle Box and not SP Flash Tool ?
This post was last modified: 27-10-2017, 10:25 PM by triki.
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next