Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Weird Techno Boom J8
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Weird Techno Boom J8

Weird Techno Boom J8

loe
loe
loe
Enthusiastic Member
02-11-2017, 11:47 AM

So, i got this Tecno Boom J8  (re-seller, i.e not a  brand new phone), as a test bed for development purpose. However contrary to the factories spec of Default Android version 5.1(Lollipop) OS, I discovered that the the version running on the phone was 6.0. The phone according to its factory specifications is 2GB of Ram with internal storage as already known. But then again it was  a pain to even navigate through the menu items because the phone is very slow to the point of hanging. so i decided to verify with CPU-Z. The FILES attached below below where the results from the Soc (System On Chip, where the main chipset lives), DEVICE, SYSTEM tabs. (I disabled the the sim slots, here) 

When i doubled checked the internal storage from the phone settings, it says 16GB. Further more i installed this MTK engineering software(I have used it on several other phones), its just like mobile uncle, then i tried to access mediatek chipset properties for the phone from with the software...and i got an invalid chipset error message. Further  more, I tried using Rashr for investigate its properties/feature and i got similar results with CPU-Z. Especially on the Android version part, where both detected android version 5.1, when the phone is actually running  6.0   as seen from the  "About Phone" section under the usual phone settings. Also when i turn on the LTE radio the phone's temperature around the upper area where the rear camera lens is, scales up like the phone is literally on fire

So what exactly is going on. Could it be that someone previously tried updating the phone, probably through OTA or flashing the rom with something like, say, sp tools and things went wrong because he did it wrong or the version is not compactable with the device? How can this be rectified?

*N.B: Although I have tried to flash with stock rom using   sp flash tool...this is giving me a hard time since the battery is in-built, so when i switch off the phone  its starts charging  and the process(I also tried pressing the voulme-up key to enter preloader mode as i connected the when phone to the pc after click on  "download" in sp, but that didnt work)  was interrupted  as observer from sp output  from a terminal console. I installed the vcom drivers and the worked well because i verified with other tools such as SN write, Meta and even the android Debugger bridge.

So would flashing  from within the phone  maybe using Rashr or some other recommended  tool , be  a possible solution? If thats the case whats the recommend steps how do I go about it.

*N.B: I also rooted the phone with Kingroot using instructions from one of the threads here in  Hovatek forum. I tried again with sp tool, the result was still the same. 
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2017-11-02-10-24-10.png
Size: 102.63 KB / Downloads: 9
.png
Screenshot_2017-11-02-10-23-58.png
Size: 125.57 KB / Downloads: 7
.png
Screenshot_2017-11-02-10-23-35.png
Size: 146.03 KB / Downloads: 7
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
02-11-2017, 01:34 PM
(02-11-2017, 11:47 AM)loe
*N.B: I also rooted the phone with Kingroot using instructions from one of the threads here in  Hovatek forum. I tried again with sp tool, the result was still the same. 

this is a clone J8.
the original device runs on a mediatek chipset while this J8 you have runs on a spreadtrum chipset,
the original which is said to have 2GB ram whereas from the screenshots you attached the phone has a total of 512MB ram, thats probably the cause of the lags. e.t.c 
furthermore, SP flash tool wont work on devices using SPD SoC.

best advice would be to return the device if you can
This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 03:09 PM by X3non.
loe
loe
loe
Enthusiastic Member
02-11-2017, 02:35 PM
(02-11-2017, 01:34 PM)X3non
(02-11-2017, 11:47 AM)loe

this is a clone J8.
the original device runs on a mediatek chipset while this J8 you have runs on a spreadtrum chipset,
the original which is said to have 2GB ram whereas from the screenshots you attached the phone has just 80MB ram, thats probably the cause of the lags. e.t.c 
furthermore, SP flash tool wont work on devices using SPD SoC.

best advice would be to return the device if you can

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly What about the part, where CPU-Z reflects an internal memory of 2GB where its actually 16GB and also reflects android version 5.1 when it is actually 6.0. Is there an explanation for this.

Secondly IS THERE any other flashing tool based on this spectrum chipset.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
02-11-2017, 03:14 PM
(02-11-2017, 02:35 PM)loe Thanks for the reply.

Firstly What about the part, where CPU-Z  reflects an internal memory of 2GB where its actually 16GB and also reflects android version 5.1 when it is actually 6.0.  Is there an explanation for this.

Secondly IS THERE any other flashing  tool  based on this spectrum chipset.

thats what the e.t.c part in my previous message was for. everything you see on the device itself is fake / clone #made to look like original
of course you can test the internal storage manually and see if its really 16GB. just copy files worth at least 3GB in size into the internal storage and see if it copies successfully. as for the android version, thats probably just a build.prop trick.
i believe CPUz has given you all the correct info of the device
loe
loe
loe
Enthusiastic Member
02-11-2017, 05:56 PM

(02-11-2017, 03:14 PM)X3non
(02-11-2017, 02:35 PM)loe Thanks for the reply.

Firstly What about the part, where CPU-Z  reflects an internal memory of 2GB where its actually 16GB and also reflects android version 5.1 when it is actually 6.0.  Is there an explanation for this.

Secondly IS THERE any other flashing  tool  based on this spectrum chipset.

thats what the e.t.c part in my previous message was for. everything you see on the device itself is fake / clone #made to look like original
of course you can test the internal storage manually and see if its really 16GB. just copy files worth at least 3GB in size into the internal storage and see if it copies successfully. as for the android version, thats probably just a build.prop trick.
i believe CPUz has given you all the correct info of the device

I just pulled a file of 4GB off the internet directly into the internal memory storage. One detail i forget to add is that the splash screen shows camon. Anyways I give up here and follow your advice from earlier.

Thanks.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
03-11-2017, 11:34 AM
(02-11-2017, 05:56 PM)loe I just pulled a file of 4GB off the internet directly into the internal memory storage. One detail i forget to add is that the splash screen shows camon. Anyways I give up here and follow your advice from earlier.

Thanks.

Its clearly a fake / clone as @x3non said .
You flash SPD phones using research / upgrade download tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-1231.html or a Chinese Box

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.