Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] What is this sytem-sign.img?
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] What is this sytem-sign.img?

[Please help] What is this sytem-sign.img?

Prithdk
Prithdk
Prithdk
Enthusiastic Member
24-12-2017, 08:02 AM

What is this sytem-sign.img? Why does it show so many bytes..(around 4GB) while unpacking but in reality is around 2.7 GB..(image file was also 2.7GB)...when i try to repack it i always have to enter that 4gb in size else it fails to repack and result is that the new repacked system-sign.img is around 4 GB...how do i bring it down...
nijazxp
nijazxp
nijazxp
Techie Member
24-12-2017, 04:05 PM
(24-12-2017, 08:02 AM)Prithdk What is this sytem-sign.img? Why does it show so many bytes..(around 4GB) while unpacking but in reality is around 2.7 GB..(image file was also 2.7GB)...when i try to repack it i always have to enter that 4gb in size else it fails to repack and result is that the new repacked system-sign.img is around 4 GB...how do i bring it down...

I had same problem a week ago, until i learned a lot of new stuff. Thati is signed flash file, it usually comes with other signed files like: cache-sign.img, boot-sign.img, recovery-sign.img, logo-sign.bin...

You won't have problems flashing it. If you use scatter file that came with downloaded firmware, just flash it using spflashtool 5.1744. That version of spflashtool supports only signed files. Signed files may have smaller size than normal files. I can't believe that is your file size is so large... Have you downloaded it from somewhere? Did it come with scatter file and other flash files? I never had problem flashing such files, their size was perfect.

Now to convert signed to normal files, you first need to flash them using that spflashtool. Then do readback of each partition (as written in scatter, use linear address and size) using spflashtool. Give them name of partition name except for partitions that hava file name other than none.

But you won't be able to flash normal (not signed) flash files, you need spflashtool 5.1532. And do not use this to flash signed files. These versions are different.

You will need to clean preloader and maybe best to do readback of whole firmware, when signed is flashed, then process everything using preloader. But I forgot what is endpoint for whole firmware, I think size of cache or data, or their linear address, although cache and data are not needed....something like that (surely some number from scatter)...complicated stuff. But you need mtkdroidtool and working phone in debugging mode of course... Lots of hours have to be spent.

And advice: do not modify any files on system or any partition img file in windows. These programs will brick your device. Even if you only modify one file. You cannot set size properly, it won't work. Try to use linux or android to somehow mount img file you wanna modify. This caused me bootloop!
This post was last modified: 26-12-2017, 02:54 PM by nijazxp.
Prithdk
Prithdk
Prithdk
Enthusiastic Member
27-12-2017, 09:20 AM
(24-12-2017, 04:05 PM)nijazxp
(24-12-2017, 08:02 AM)Prithdk What is this sytem-sign.img? Why does it show so many bytes..(around 4GB) while unpacking but in reality is around 2.7 GB..(image file was also 2.7GB)...when i try to repack it i always have to enter that 4gb in size else it fails to repack and result is that the new repacked system-sign.img is around 4 GB...how do i bring it down...

I had same problem a week ago, until i learned a lot of new stuff. Thati is signed flash file, it usually comes with other signed files like: cache-sign.img, boot-sign.img, recovery-sign.img, logo-sign.bin...

You won't have problems flashing it. If you use scatter file that came with downloaded firmware, just flash it using spflashtool 5.1744. That version of spflashtool supports only signed files. Signed files may have smaller size than normal files. I can't believe that is your file size is so large... Have you downloaded it from somewhere? Did it come with scatter file and other flash files? I never had problem flashing such files, their size was perfect.

Now to convert signed to normal files, you first need to flash them using that spflashtool. Then do readback of each partition (as written in scatter, use linear address and size) using spflashtool. Give them name of partition name except for partitions that hava file name other than none.

But you won't be able to flash normal (not signed) flash files, you need spflashtool 5.1532. And do not use this to flash signed files. These versions are different.

You will need to clean preloader and maybe best to do readback of whole firmware, when signed is flashed, then process everything using preloader. But I forgot what is endpoint for whole firmware, I think size of cache or data, or their linear address, although cache and data are not needed....something like that (surely some number from scatter)...complicated stuff. But you need mtkdroidtool and working phone in debugging mode of course... Lots of hours have to be spent.

And advice: do not modify any files on system or any partition img file in windows. These programs will brick your device. Even if you only modify one file. You cannot set size properly, it won't work. Try to use linux or android to somehow mount img file you wanna modify. This caused me bootloop!

yeah i think i will use linux to set sizes...i was actually trying to port a rom...the port rom had this signed files. And while unpacking the system-sign.img this showed up. So many bytes. Man Qualcomm are easy...))~