Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to use SP Flash tool to format a single partition in Mediatek
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to use SP Flash tool to format a single partition in Mediatek

[Tutorial] How to use SP Flash tool to format a single partition in Mediatek

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
09-01-2018, 11:46 AM

This is a step by step guide showing how to format a single partition of a Mediatek (MTK) android device using SP flash tool.

Why would i want to format one single partition on my MTK device?

There are several reasons why one might want to format a single partition on an MTK device. One such example is when your device is FRP locked, all you need do is to format only FRP partition OR maybe you need to perform a factory reset but you are unable to boot into recovery mode for some weird unknown reasons (userdata and cache) OR you need to remove privacy protection password (nvdata) OR relock bootloader (seccfg) e.t.c then all you need is to format a particular partition(s). The procedure below will show how we can achieve this.

Requirements

How to Format a Single Partition of a Mediatek (MTK) device using SP Flash Tool

The steps below explain how to format a single partition of a mediatek (MTK) device using SP flash tool

See the video tutorial below or at https://youtu.be/3DrMuPBLW-I

1. Extract the content of the SP flash tool zip file and Launch SP flash tool

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-1.jpg]

2. Select the scatter file for your device by clicking choose beside the scatter-loading file's dropdown bar

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-2.jpg]

3. In the windows that appears next, navigate to and select the scatter file

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-3.jpg]

4. You should now be taken back to SP flash tool window, Click on the Format tab

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-4.jpg]

5. Tick the checkbox beside "Manual format flash"

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-5.jpg]

6. Open windows explore and navigate to the location of the scatter file you selected earlier on then open it using Notepad++

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-6.jpg]

7. Scroll down the contents of the scatter file till you get to the partition you wish to format [in my case, i'm trying to format FRP partition]

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-7.jpg]

8. Input the values of Linear_start addr and partition_size into SP flash tool then Click on Start
    Code:

Linear_start addr = Begin Address
    partition_size    = Format Length

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-8.jpg]

9. Power off the phone (with battery in) then connect to the PC via a USB cord. Once successful, you should get a green tick

[Image: How-to-Format-a-Single-Partition-of-a-Me...Tool-9.jpg]

10. Boot up the device

Important Notice
  • Once SP flash tool has detected your device, avoid disconnecting till the task is complete as this might cause the phone to go dead
  • If you accidentally interrupted the process and the phone went dead, follow this guide to revive the phone
  • If your device has secure boot, then check out our secure boot DA collection section and how to use secure boot DA files
  • If you accidentally selected "Auto format - Format all", your device will go dead and you'll need to flash full stock rom to revive the phone
  • Avoid using a random scatter file (even though its for your chipset) in Sp flash tool. Just because a scatter file is for your chipset doesn't mean it contains the same partition info. Formatting with a wrong scatter file could result in more problems than you initially intended to fix.
  • SP flash tool was created by MediaTek Inc. so credits to them for the tool

Video Transcript
Quote:In this tutorial, I'll be showing You how to format a single partition of an MTK device using SP Flash tool. The purpose of this tutorial is for example, Your device is FRP locked. All You need is to format FRP partition or maybe You need to perform a factory reset but You're unable to boot into recovery mode for some reason. All You need is to format userdata & cache partitions, that's for factory reset For the requirements of this tutorial, all You need is SP Flash tool, the scatter file which will help You obtain the values of the partitions(s) You need to format and Notepad++ to open the scatter file and obtain the values.

You can get Your phone's scatter file either from the phone's firmware or You can download from our Forum under collection of scatter files for Mediatek phone chipsets. Browse Your phone's exact CPU There are a lot of CPUs You can grab the one for Your phone. Say You're using a Tecno phone, You can go to our Tecno individual files firmware map and browse Your phone model. There are a lot of models under Tecno. You can choose your phone model and download the scatter file for Your exact Build Number. Once You obtain the scatter file, open SP Flash tool and wait for SP Flash tool to load. Once SP Flash tool is loaded, under Scatter-loading, You click Choose to select the scatter file which You've obtained (this is the scatter file I'll be using) and click Open.

The next things is go to the Format tab. Under the Format tab, tick Manual Format Flash to help me insert the partition address I'll be formatting. This is the Begin Address and this the Format Length. The next thing to do is open my scatter file to get the values. I'll use Notepad++ to obtain the values. Say for example You're flashing any other partition. You can see there's a partition name in Your scatter file. You can format any partition You like, there are a lot of partitions In this tutorial, I'm particularly working on FRP partition so I'll go look for FRP.

This is FRP. What I need here is the Start Address. I'll copy Then I'll go back to SP Flash tool and paste my Start Address here I'll then copy the partition size and then go back to SP Flash tool and paste it under Format Length. The next thing to do is click on Format. You need to connect the phone using USB cable and make sure its charged & switched off and make sure the battery is inserted then connect the USB cable. My phone is connected. Wait for it to finish formatting You need to wait for it to show that format is successful. Now, format is successful.

Disconnect then boot up Your phone. Thanks for watching.
This post was last modified: 05-10-2019, 02:11 AM by X3non.
Samuel Ibe
Samuel Ibe
Samuel Ibe
Enthusiastic Member
25-01-2018, 04:50 PM
can I get a link for the m5 mini scatter file.... I don't have data to download the complete rom
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
25-01-2018, 05:35 PM
(25-01-2018, 04:50 PM)Samuel Ibe can I get a link for the m5 mini scatter file.... I don't have data to download the complete rom

dump the firmware of your device in scatter file format using the guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13347.html ; you'll get scatter file for your device once the backup process is complete
This post was last modified: 26-01-2018, 10:12 AM by hovatek.
Samuel Ibe
Samuel Ibe
Samuel Ibe
Enthusiastic Member
25-01-2018, 09:00 PM
I don't understand.... the link is on how to root itel phones
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
26-01-2018, 10:13 AM

(25-01-2018, 09:00 PM)Samuel Ibe I don't understand.... the link is on how to root itel phones

https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13347.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Samuel Ibe
Samuel Ibe
Samuel Ibe
Enthusiastic Member
26-01-2018, 08:14 PM
sp flash tool is giving me error...[BROM] ERROR :S_BROM_CMD_STARTCMD_FAIL(2005)
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
27-01-2018, 09:52 AM
(26-01-2018, 08:14 PM)Samuel Ibe sp flash tool is giving me error...[BROM] ERROR :S_BROM_CMD_STARTCMD_FAIL(2005)

Please, create a new thread so we focus on it
see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
sojo
sojo
sojo
27-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Thanks man
Worked Like magic
DroidPeepz Inc
DroidPeepz Inc
DroidPeepz Inc
Verified Account
08-04-2018, 07:42 PM
- I actually fix FRP issue on a Friend's phone following this simple Tut.
----
Very inspiring...!
Keep it up guys.
Akhtar Sadik
Akhtar Sadik
Akhtar Sadik
28-05-2018, 12:04 AM

Thank U Hovatek
Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next