Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android SONY Xperia Z5 Premium - Charging/Connectivity Issues
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

SONY Xperia Z5 Premium - Charging/Connectivity Issues

SONY Xperia Z5 Premium - Charging/Connectivity Issues

kaurigrateful
kaurigrateful
kaurigrateful
20-01-2018, 10:00 AM

I have had a SONY Xperia Z5 Premium E6853 - Stock ROM, updated OTA to 7.1.1, 3.10.84 Kernel - Build 32.4.A.0.160 - for over a year, working fine until about 6 months ago, when I was on the border of Laos and Vietnam, I think the faulty power grid may have fried some internal electronics, as it fried my powerbank, Quick Charge power block, and smelled like burnt plastic. My phone refused to charge or show any signs of life for another month, trying all I could to get it to charge, eventually I got it to charge enough to turn on, by holding the reset button for two minutes, and leaving it plugged in overnight on recovery mode (Blue LED), it trickle charged eventually to 100% but it was very sporadic and unreliable. It would off and on receive a normal charge, but really need to wiggle the cord or plug/unplug sometimes 30x until it accepts the charge, often making the sound like it is plugged in, but not turning on the LED or the charge symbol.

Now, it has become more regular in taking a charge, and I actually use it as my day to day phone again, but i still need to fiddle with it when i plug it in to charge at night. When I do the diagnostics test for the charger on the phone, it says that it is plugged into USB, even when plugged into wall adapter, until it actually takes the proper charge. I've tried cleaning the USB input port on the phone really thoroughly and delicately, and just about everything else I could think of. I bought it off of amazon and is over the warranty period so I am stuck with it. 

The real issue, why I am here, is that it will not be recognized by the computer and will not charge from the computer. I have tried installing numerous drivers, PC Companion, Xperia Companion, tried multiple USB cords, ones that work fine to charge it and also work find running adb on my other phone. It simply does not even show up, no changes whatsover when plugged in to the computer. The phone acts as if it is plugged in, chiming, but not charging, and if I try to plug it in to the computer in Fastboot mode, the Blue or Green LED will show up, but still not recognized by the computer, on Windows 7 or Mac OS X. It also does not show up on my phone that it is plugged into USB, no option for MTP, Charging, or photo transfer.. nothing.  

Any Thoughts??? 

Kauri Grateful
This post was last modified: 20-01-2018, 10:02 AM by kaurigrateful.
Agu Marcus
Agu Marcus
Agu Marcus
20-01-2018, 08:40 PM
(20-01-2018, 10:00 AM)kaurigrateful I have had a SONY Xperia Z5 Premium E6853 - Stock ROM, updated OTA to 7.1.1, 3.10.84 Kernel - Build 32.4.A.0.160 - for over a year, working fine until about 6 months ago, when I was on the border of Laos and Vietnam, I think the faulty power grid may have fried some internal electronics, as it fried my powerbank, Quick Charge power block, and smelled like burnt plastic. My phone refused to charge or show any signs of life for another month, trying all I could to get it to charge, eventually I got it to charge enough to turn on, by holding the reset button for two minutes, and leaving it plugged in overnight on recovery mode (Blue LED), it trickle charged eventually to 100% but it was very sporadic and unreliable. It would off and on receive a normal charge, but really need to wiggle the cord or plug/unplug sometimes 30x until it accepts the charge, often making the sound like it is plugged in, but not turning on the LED or the charge symbol.

Now, it has become more regular in taking a charge, and I actually use it as my day to day phone again, but i still need to fiddle with it when i plug it in to charge at night. When I do the diagnostics test for the charger on the phone, it says that it is plugged into USB, even when plugged into wall adapter, until it actually takes the proper charge. I've tried cleaning the USB input port on the phone really thoroughly and delicately, and just about everything else I could think of. I bought it off of amazon and is over the warranty period so I am stuck with it. 

The real issue, why I am here, is that it will not be recognized by the computer and will not charge from the computer. I have tried installing numerous drivers, PC Companion, Xperia Companion, tried multiple USB cords, ones that work fine to charge it and also work find running adb on my other phone. It simply does not even show up, no changes whatsover when plugged in to the computer. The phone acts as if it is plugged in, chiming, but not charging, and if I try to plug it in to the computer in Fastboot mode, the Blue or Green LED will show up, but still not recognized by the computer, on Windows 7 or Mac OS X. It also does not show up on my phone that it is plugged into USB, no option for MTP, Charging, or photo transfer.. nothing.  

Any Thoughts??? 

Kauri Grateful

You need to have the USB charging flex replaced.

Sent from my Infinix X510 using Hovatek Mobile
kaurigrateful
kaurigrateful
kaurigrateful
27-01-2018, 04:02 PM
(20-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Agu Marcus
(20-01-2018, 10:00 AM)kaurigrateful I have had a SONY Xperia Z5 Premium E6853 - Stock ROM, updated OTA to 7.1.1, 3.10.84 Kernel - Build 32.4.A.0.160 - for over a year, working fine until about 6 months ago, when I was on the border of Laos and Vietnam, I think the faulty power grid may have fried some internal electronics, as it fried my powerbank, Quick Charge power block, and smelled like burnt plastic. My phone refused to charge or show any signs of life for another month, trying all I could to get it to charge, eventually I got it to charge enough to turn on, by holding the reset button for two minutes, and leaving it plugged in overnight on recovery mode (Blue LED), it trickle charged eventually to 100% but it was very sporadic and unreliable. It would off and on receive a normal charge, but really need to wiggle the cord or plug/unplug sometimes 30x until it accepts the charge, often making the sound like it is plugged in, but not turning on the LED or the charge symbol.

Any Thoughts??? 

Kauri Grateful

You need to have the USB charging flex replaced.

Thank you, I did need a new charge flex, which I ordered and replaced myself, and it was working fine for a short time, I was able to connect to ADB and unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, and then after rebooting it now won't connect to PC again. I've tried different drivers etc, but I really don't think that is the issue here. It acts as if it is going to connect, makes the sound as if it is plugged into something and then disconnects immediately. No charging from USB, no dialogue on the phone to select USB options, and the worst part is, it won't even connect in fastboot as the phone doesn't register that it is connected to the PC. Holding VOL Up (or VOL Down) and plugging in does nothing. Before it would flash the red LED and then go to a blue LED letting me know i was in fastboot, but now it doesn't even turn on the LED at all. It seems to be a hardware issue still. 
BTW it does charge fine from AC Adapter now, just still PC connectivity issues. 
What do you think is the problem?
Kauri
maxpayne
maxpayne
maxpayne
Contributor
29-01-2018, 07:45 AM
(27-01-2018, 04:02 PM)kaurigrateful Thank you, I did need a new charge flex, which I ordered and replaced myself, and it was working fine for a short time, I was able to connect to ADB and unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, and then after rebooting it now won't connect to PC again. I've tried different drivers etc, but I really don't think that is the issue here. It acts as if it is going to connect, makes the sound as if it is plugged into something and then disconnects immediately. No charging from USB, no dialogue on the phone to select USB options, and the worst part is, it won't even connect in fastboot as the phone doesn't register that it is connected to the PC. Holding VOL Up (or VOL Down) and plugging in does nothing. Before it would flash the red LED and then go to a blue LED letting me know i was in fastboot, but now it doesn't even turn on the LED at all. It seems to be a hardware issue still. 
BTW it does charge fine from AC Adapter now, just still PC connectivity issues. 
What do you think is the problem?
Kauri

Try on another PC if its the same thing. Can the phone still boot up normally to home screen?