Hovatek Forum HARDWARE Boxes and Dongles [Tutorial] How to use Infinity CM2 SPD to backup Unisoc / Spreadtrum firmware
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Tutorial] How to use Infinity CM2 SPD to backup Unisoc / Spreadtrum firmware

[Tutorial] How to use Infinity CM2 SPD to backup Unisoc / Spreadtrum firmware

hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
20-01-2018, 05:38 PM

This is a step-by-step guide on how to backup / dump / extract a Spreadtrum Android phone's firmware using Infinity Chinese Miracle II SPD / CM2 SPD module.

Requirements

Steps to backup a Spreadtrum Android phone's firmware using CM2 SPD

Follow the steps below to backup a Spreadtrum phone's firmware with Infinity Chinese Miracle II SPD dongle

See the video tutorial below or at https://youtu.be/tP12NGPxS7M

1. Run CM2SPD.exe and wait till the Chinese Miracle II SPD dashboard appears

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-1.jpg]

2. Under the Settings tab > CPU , select your phone's chipset (to know your SoC, refer to https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13054.html )

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-2.jpg]

3. Click the Flash tab (you can untick Manual Name Define) then click Read Firmware [PAC]

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-3.jpg]

4. Once CM II SPD shows ====Wait for phone... , power off the Spreadtrum phone (still with battery in) , hold the Volume down (decrease) button then connect to PC

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-4.jpg]

5. The Phone should get detected, keep holding the Volume down button

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-5.jpg]

6. In the Window that pops up, navigate to the location you wish to save the SPD backup then click Save

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-6.jpg]

7. If you get a Waiting for device re-connect! prompt, click OK while still holding the volume down button

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...ule-11.jpg]

8. Repeat the previous step till the phone's details gets displayed (Brand, Model, Android version etc)

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-7.jpg]

9. CM2 SPD should now start backing up the partitions, you can now release the Volume down button

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-8.jpg]

10. Once backup is done, you should get a Done! confirmation along with the path to the backup

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...dule-9.jpg]

11. Check the destination folder for your Spreadtrum (SPD) firmware backup files

[Image: How-to-backup-a-Spreadtrum-Android-phone...ule-10.png]

Important Notice
  • Infinity CM2 ideally requires a hardware dongle so merely installing the setup and running the tool won't work
  • On most Spreadtrum Android phones, the boot key is Volume down / decrease but some are Volume up so ensure to give both a shot if you have detection problems
  • The Infinity CM2 Spreadtrum backup is in .pac.sc by default and this format can only be flashed back using the dongle. If you want to obtain the .pac format (so you can flash using other tools) then useĀ Infinity dongle to convert from .pac.sc to .pac
  • Its important you do not interrupt the backup process else the device could go dead. Should you encounter this, take out and re-insert the battery then retry. If your battery is inbuilt then just keep charging till the phone shows a sign of life
  • You can release the boot key once backup has begun but some Spreadtrum devices encounter constant connection-disconnection so you best hold the boot key all through the process (in such cases) so that the process can auto resume
  • For Newer Unisoc chips, you can try CM2SP2

Video Transcript
Quote:In this video tutorial, I'll be explaining how to backup or dump a Spreadtrum Android phone's firmware using Infinity CM2 dongle. In order to use this CM2 software, you need to have the hardware dongle I have that over here and you need to connect it to your PC and set it up. We already have a guide at the Forum on how to setup your Infinity CM2 dongle . check it out and follow then come back to this guide.

Connect the set up and activated dongle to the PC via the USB port. Dongle blinking red and green light. Download Infinity box CM2 SPD. This is the software you'll be using to backup the Spreadtrum Android phone. [Download link in description]. After downloading, you extract using 7zip. Double-click the exe file and follow the installation process [installing CM2 SPD]. You should also have your Spreadtrum Android phone and USB cord.

You power off the phone, make sure its well charged. Keep it on standby. You'll notice this shortcut (InfinityBox CM2SPD). I can launch it from there or go to installation directory C:\InfinityBox\CM2SPD then you can launch (with the dongle connected). It takes a while to come up so you just have to be patient. I should also mention that you need to have installed your Spreadtrum drivers We have a guide and video on how to install Spreadtrum drivers on a Windows PC so check it out Install Spreadtrum drivers on your PC before you continue if not the software won't be able to detect your Spreadtrum Android phone. That's what drivers are for.

[waiting for dashboard] Alright! its finally up after quite Under the Settings tab, select your chipset or CPU. We already have a guide on how to find out your Spreadtrum phone's chipset and Android version (you can use an apk) then come here to select the chip. This phone I'll be using is an SC773x phone running on Marshmallow [selecting]. Head over to the Flash tab I'm getting the not responding error maybe because I'm running a lot of things on my PC at the moment [waiting for error to clear up] Now, I'm in the flash tab.

Now, leave these two boxes checked then click Read Firmware [PAC] While the phone is powered off, with the battery inside, you holdĀ  the volume down button then you connect the USB cord to the phone (keep holding the volume down button). [recapping]. You might expereince frequent disconnection in this tool, I'l walk you through that later In this Window that pops up, select the location you wish to save your Spreadtrum backup and click Save.

I already have a folder called SPD dump to save my phone's CM2 SPD backup to. I still have my finger on the volume down button because that's the boot key for Spreadtrum. This is the popup I was telling you about (waiting for device re-connect). The device got disconnected so I just keep holding my volume down button and I tap OK. You might get this several times I got a range error so I'm going to have to repeat the process [repeating]. Should detect phone details.

Model, version, Build number and the rest. then start backing up the files. Another error. I'll boot up. I'll make this a part of the video just in case you encounter this while backing up. [taking out and re-inserting the battery. Starting all over] It can be quite frustrating. [repeating] Sometimes, what you need to do is disconnect your dongle, restart your PC then retry the process [repeating]

I'm going to untick the Manual Name Define option even though I'd been able to backup with it ticked. [repeating] Okay, this is what I've been waiting for. We have backup in progress [backing up] At this point, I can release my volume down button. Avoid disconnecting from the USB cord. [backup in progress] This is going to take a while backing up system [pausing video recording]

Alright! We're almost done [99% at system.img] Done! What you have here is the path backup was saved to Mine is located n the Hovatek folder. I want to stress something very important here. This format is customized to CM2 SPD so you need to flash back using CM2 SPD. Its not a regular PAC file which you flash using Research Download or Upgrade Download tool.

That's how to backup or dump a Spreadtrum Android phone's firmware using Chinese Miracle 2 or CM2 SPD software
This post was last modified: 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Dilone61
Dilone61
Dilone61
Experienced Member
10-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Hi, We tried this method but ended up with individual files likeboot.img, system.img, userdata.img and so on instead of 1 pac.sc file. So, is there a way to combine it into one .pac file? if you try to flash it, it picks on 1 file called SPD.prog.xml and it loads all the files, then it flashes successfully. How can I combine the partitions to get 1 single .pac file? thanks.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
11-09-2020, 01:54 PM
(10-09-2020, 06:10 PM)Dilone61 Hi, We tried this method but ended up with individual files likeboot.img, system.img, userdata.img and so on instead of 1 pac.sc file. So, is there a way to combine it into one .pac file? if you try to flash it, it picks on 1 file called SPD.prog.xml and it loads all the files, then it flashes successfully. How can I combine the partitions to get 1 single .pac file? thanks.

pac.sc backup isn't a single file backup, check the contents of the backup you have, there should be a pac.sc file
see the important notice section for how to convert pac.sc to pac