Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] Re-occurring pop-up / adware issue
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Please help] Re-occurring pop-up / adware issue

[Please help] Re-occurring pop-up / adware issue

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
Golobolus
Golobolus
Golobolus
01-09-2018, 12:24 PM

(31-08-2018, 04:30 PM)freshtyt
(31-08-2018, 02:47 AM)Golobolus Hi Guys,

I have again experienced the same issue, its as if there is a countdown of some sort on the firmware that I have, yesterday the pop-up started again. As suggested by EMMANUS from the last message i did a factory reset and didn't install apps that are not 100% sure to be adware safe.

So I did factory reset, installed gapps nano from its main provider, installed Magisk Manager, Greenify from Magisk Modules, and that's it. Then yesterday I got again the pop-ups after some weeks.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

are those the only three apps you installed?
have you tried flashing stock rom? {this will help clarify if its from the rom itself or your phone got infected somehow}

Hi freshtyt

I was not able to flash any Custom ROM for this phone [not really sure if there are custom roms for this out there...]  But i was able to have it run Magisk, so over-all i'm using the Stock ROM of the phone.

If you want information about the phone i can make screenshots with the make / firmware / chipset / etc...
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
01-09-2018, 04:37 PM
(01-09-2018, 12:24 PM)Golobolus Hi freshtyt

I was not able to flash any Custom ROM for this phone [not really sure if there are custom roms for this out there...]  But i was able to have it run Magisk, so over-all i'm using the Stock ROM of the phone.

If you want information about the phone i can make screenshots with the make / firmware / chipset / etc...

right now, the OS on your phone has been modified and very unlikely a factory reset will help. in order to verify if this adware came from an external source or was already inbuilt into the OS like some Chinese OEMs do these days , you need to reflash original firmware 

firmware for this model isn't readily online, can you get access to a working Firefly Intense Metal 2?
Golobolus
Golobolus
Golobolus
02-09-2018, 02:00 AM
(01-09-2018, 04:37 PM)X3non
(01-09-2018, 12:24 PM)Golobolus Hi freshtyt

right now, the OS on your phone has been modified and very unlikely a factory reset will help. in order to verify if this adware came from an external source or was already inbuilt into the OS like some Chinese OEMs do these days , you need to reflash original firmware 

firmware for this model isn't readily online, can you get access to a working Firefly Intense Metal 2?

Hi X3non

I think you might be correct on that one, I'm also suspecting that it is one of those reverse engineered firmware that had a built-in apps that has the adware, though when i'm checking the system apps and see some apps that are not "usual" or looks "suspicious" and tried to stop or disable it after that some parts of the firmware crashes [force closures and apps sometimes hangs]. There was also a Branding App included that when i tried to disable, the whole system menu crashes, so i had to re-enable it to have the system settings app stable again. I'm not really sure what to do right now since I've tried re-setting the phone a couple of times now for the last 3 months.

Just to add to this, when I've installed TWRP on the phone [that's how i got to install Magisk], It was displaying "Symphony i10" as the make of the phone, i'm not really sure if that refers to the version or make of TWRP or the original make/model of the phone.
This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 03:28 AM by Golobolus.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
03-09-2018, 07:59 AM
(02-09-2018, 02:00 AM)Golobolus Hi X3non

I think you might be correct on that one, I'm also suspecting that it is one of those reverse engineered firmware that had a built-in apps that has the adware, though when i'm checking the system apps and see some apps that are not "usual" or looks "suspicious" and tried to stop or disable it after that some parts of the firmware crashes [force closures and apps sometimes hangs]. There was also a Branding App included that when i tried to disable, the whole system menu crashes, so i had to re-enable it to have the system settings app stable again. I'm not really sure what to do right now since I've tried re-setting the phone a couple of times now for the last 3 months.

Just to add to this, when I've installed TWRP on the phone [that's how i got to install Magisk], It was displaying "Symphony i10" as the make of the phone, i'm not really sure if that refers to the version or make of TWRP or the original make/model of the phone.

Could you describe the exact nature of these popup ads. Where exactly do they popup? Screenshots please.
Maybe that will help us narrow down the cause.
Let's just hope its not embedded in a library like @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-23105.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Golobolus
Golobolus
Golobolus
04-09-2018, 06:33 AM

Hi Hovatek,

I've just made the screenshots of the things that are popping up... the behavior of these are like when you are using an app, it suddenly hangs for a bit then launches any browser that is installed, then loads random websites, after closing the browser then comes the google play app launching with a direct link to a random app.

i hope this helps.
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_20180904-130724.png
Size: 551.47 KB / Downloads: 4
.png
Screenshot_20180904-130814.png
Size: 410.31 KB / Downloads: 4
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
04-09-2018, 01:49 PM
(04-09-2018, 06:33 AM)Golobolus Hi Hovatek,

I've just made the screenshots of the things that are popping up... the behavior of these are like when you are using an app, it suddenly hangs for a bit then launches any browser that is installed, then loads random websites, after closing the browser then comes the google play app launching with a direct link to a random app.

i hope this helps.

did you port that twrp or you downloaded it from an online source then flashed and luckily it worked for your device?
meanwhile download and install link2sd, you'll use it to check for suspicious looking app names
Golobolus
Golobolus
Golobolus
04-09-2018, 11:24 PM
(04-09-2018, 01:49 PM)X3non
(04-09-2018, 06:33 AM)Golobolus Hi Hovatek,

i hope this helps.

did you port that twrp or you downloaded it from an online source then flashed and luckily it worked for your device?
meanwhile download and install link2sd, you'll use it to check for suspicious looking app names

I ported the TWRP with a tutorial that I've also seen here in the forum, I just used the version that was right for my screen size then yes luckily it worked! I will take a look with the link2sd app [would you happen to have a link also for that? I just don't want to get it from just anywhere over the net... ]

thank you again guys for helping me!
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
05-09-2018, 10:50 AM
(04-09-2018, 11:24 PM)Golobolus I ported the TWRP with a tutorial that I've also seen here in the forum, I just used the version that was right for my screen size then yes luckily it worked! I will take a look with the link2sd app [would you happen to have a link also for that? I just don't want to get it from just anywhere over the net... ]

Link2SD is on Playstore.
Before you proceed, have you done a full scatter format backup of your current firmware?
This post was last modified: 05-09-2018, 10:52 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Golobolus
Golobolus
Golobolus
05-09-2018, 04:24 PM
(05-09-2018, 10:50 AM)hovatek
(04-09-2018, 11:24 PM)Golobolus I ported the TWRP with a tutorial that I've also seen here in the forum, I just used the version that was right for my screen size then yes luckily it worked! I will take a look with the link2sd app [would you happen to have a link also for that? I just don't want to get it from just anywhere over the net... ]

Link2SD is on Playstore.
Before you proceed, have you done a full scatter format backup of your current firmware?

Hi Hovatek, Yes i do have scatter backups of what I have with the phone. I also have TWRP backups every before and after i do a full wipe / factory reset, by the way I also did a little research and I landed into this forum https://www.needrom.com/download/virus-remover/ [kindly remove the link if its not permitted] I've seen some apps that are from the list that this "patch" was removing, though on the replies of their users they did not comment if those listed apps where the ones infected or just bloatwares.

I've downloaded Link2SD on playstore, should I perform again a factory reset then use Link2SD to kill/freeze/uninstall apps or should I just freeze some of them then observe the phones behavior?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
05-09-2018, 05:18 PM

(05-09-2018, 04:24 PM)Golobolus Hi Hovatek, Yes i do have scatter backups of what I have with the phone. I also have TWRP backups every before and after i do a full wipe / factory reset, by the way I also did a little research and I landed into this forum https://www.needrom.com/download/virus-remover/ [kindly remove the link if its not permitted] I've seen some apps that are from the list that this "patch" was removing, though on the replies of their users they did not comment if those listed apps where the ones infected or just bloatwares.

I've downloaded Link2SD on playstore, should I perform again a factory reset then use Link2SD to kill/freeze/uninstall apps or should I just freeze some of them then observe the phones behavior?

its indicated in the comment section. "where the virus sits" but that particular tool seems to be made specifically for doogee x5 ***.
the same infected apps in that patch might not be found on your phone. freezing apps on your will be done mostly by trial and error based mostly on suspicious looking apk names, you could also download an mt6580 android 6 firmware e.g one for Symphony i10 unpack the system.img and crosscheck the apps there with the ones currently on your phone then disable any thats on yours but not within the system.img

PS: you can extract system.img using the guide at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-15855.html
This post was last modified: 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM by X3non.
Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next