Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] Tecno NX bricked
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] Tecno NX bricked

[Please help] Tecno NX bricked

Pages (7): Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
17-09-2018, 05:52 PM

(17-09-2018, 08:37 AM)RMT Ok, I've tried with an otg phone and my mouse works but my mouse doesn't work with twrp on my phone.
So my phone isn't compatible with otg

Now, this contradicts an earlier assertion. How did you flash and get the phone into TWRP (not Philz)?
Its  looking like you might need to find a working phone of the same model to backup afresh
This post was last modified: 17-09-2018, 05:53 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
RMT
RMT
RMT
Techie Member
17-09-2018, 06:26 PM
(17-09-2018, 05:52 PM)hovatek
(17-09-2018, 08:37 AM)RMT Ok, I've tried with an otg phone and my mouse works but my mouse doesn't work with twrp on my phone.
So my phone isn't compatible with otg

Now, this contradicts an earlier assertion. How did you flash and get the phone into TWRP (not Philz)?
Its  looking like you might need to find a working phone of the same model to backup afresh

So, yeah. I think you are confused about the situation so let me explain :

In my twrp thread (here https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-24144.html), I've said that twrp works when I flashed it in recovery partition BUT touchscreen isn't enabled. So, as you advice me, I flashed twrp in boot partition then touchscreen finally works and I can navigate through twrp, normally. By the way, the read-only issue has been resolved (I don't have to type password anymore).

But now, as X3non said to me, I re-flashed twrp to boot partition but still it boots straight to philz instead. So, I think he's right about the fact that boot partition hasn't been written even if fastboot and phone's bootloader says finished and OKAY. Also, I would point out that even if I charge my powered off phone, charge animation doesn't show up but instead it boots to philz.

So, when I check out whether my phone has otg or not, I have to flash twrp in RECOVERY partition. And yes, after doing that, it boots to twrp, but I still have the same problem with the touchscreen. And as I said, my mouse doesn't power on or light on so now I'm sure that my phone doesn't have otg and I can't use twrp without touchscreen enabled.

I don't know, but if X3non theory is true, then both system and boot partition hasn't been written with all things we did before. And I don't know too why this thing could be happen ?

Also, I've told a friend to buy this phone model (He needs a phone[Image: biggrin.gif]) but I think that he'll do that later in October. And it's too long.
So, please, except that, is there any other way to solve this issue ?
I still have the ROM_1 I've dumped with sp flash tool, I think I'll extract that again using WwR (but I'll do that carefully and looking for something wrong if there's that).
And we didn't matter about the sp flash issue, you know, when I have an error after clicking the download button and plugging the powered off phone.

Thanks a lot for that 

RMT
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
17-09-2018, 10:45 PM
(17-09-2018, 06:26 PM)RMT So, yeah. I think you are confused about the situation so let me explain :

I still have the ROM_1 I've dumped with sp flash tool, I think I'll extract that again using WwR (but I'll do that carefully and looking for something wrong if there's that).
And we didn't matter about the sp flash issue, you know, when I have an error after clicking the download button and plugging the powered off phone.

Thanks a lot for that 

RMT

a dead emmc could cause write failure onto the phone but too early to conclude. you really need to be sure its the TWRP recovery.img you're flashing and also since its boot partition you flashed to, you're to power on the phone normally using only power button

try flashing philz back using this 
boot to TWRP recovery > connect the phone to PC > launch adb window on the pc > "adb devices" > if successfully detected then "adb reboot bootloader" > flash philz recovery using fastboot

lastly that SP flash tool you got can't be bypassed unless you have factory firmware from OEM
This post was last modified: 17-09-2018, 10:46 PM by X3non.
RMT
RMT
RMT
Techie Member
18-09-2018, 10:26 AM
(17-09-2018, 10:45 PM)X3non
(17-09-2018, 06:26 PM)RMT So, yeah. I think you are confused about the situation so let me explain :

Thanks a lot for that 

RMT

a dead emmc could cause write failure onto the phone but too early to conclude. you really need to be sure its the TWRP recovery.img you're flashing and also since its boot partition you flashed to, you're to power on the phone normally using only power button

try flashing philz back using this 
boot to TWRP recovery > connect the phone to PC > launch adb window on the pc > "adb devices" > if successfully detected then "adb reboot bootloader" > flash philz recovery using fastboot

lastly that SP flash tool you got can't be bypassed unless you have factory firmware from OEM

Waou, I don't think so that my emmc storage is dead. Because bootloader and recovery is still working. Also, only flashing recovery partition seems to be working. I can always flash either twrp or philz to it.

And yes, I'm really sure that I flash twrp because the file name is twrp.img. And file name of philz recovery is philz.img. I'm also sure that I flash twrp to boot partition and after flashing, instead of press power button, I just type the command : fastboot reboot

And I don't say that because I thought that is not important but I always use your step to switch between twrp and philz.
So, to flash twrp, I do that :
Into philz : Power options > reboot to bootloader > (in fastboot) fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
And for flashing philz , I do :
(with twrp on phone) adb reboot bootloader > fastboot flash recovery philz.img
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
18-09-2018, 05:22 PM

(18-09-2018, 10:26 AM)RMT Waou, I don't think so that my emmc storage is dead. Because bootloader and recovery is still working. Also, only flashing recovery partition seems to be working. I can always flash either twrp or philz to it.

And yes, I'm really sure that I flash twrp because the file name is twrp.img. And file name of philz recovery is philz.img. I'm also sure that I flash twrp to boot partition and after flashing, instead of press power button, I just type the command : fastboot reboot

And I don't say that because I thought that is not important but I always use your step to switch between twrp and philz.
Into philz : Power options > reboot to bootloader > (in fastboot) fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Just needed to clarify because it wasn't making sense that flashing to boot wasn't making any changes yet flashing to recovery was.
Re-process your ROM_1 and lets see how that goes.
On the side, try
Code:

fastboot boot twrp.img
This post was last modified: 18-09-2018, 05:24 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
RMT
RMT
RMT
Techie Member
18-09-2018, 06:11 PM
(Sorry, I would like to post that earlier in noon but I didn't have enough time to write, so sorry if that doesn't answer your previous post @hovatek. But still, I'll do what you said now)

So,
because I came back to philz now, I tried few things and I found 2 interesting things that maybe could help :

First, I'm able to perform a full backup! Before, I can just backup boot, recovery and system. I think it can be possible because no data has been encrypted.

Just look at this log in philz :

>> Free space: 1956Mb (25%)
>> Needed space: 1110Mb

>>Backing up /boot...
Backing up boot image...
Backup of boot image completed.

>> Backing up /recovery...
Backing up recovery image...
Backup of recovery image completed.

>> Backing up /system

Press back to cancel.
tcpdump
Done 672/1110Mb - Free 1283Mb
Backup of system completed.

>> Backing up /data...

Press Back to cancel.
lost+found
Done 673/1110Mb - Free 1282Mb
Backup of data completed.

>> Backing up /cache...

Press back to cancel.
storage.fstab
Done 674/1110Mb - Free 1282Mb
Backup of cache completed.

>> Generating md5 sum...
  > boot.img
  > cache.ext4.tar.gz.a
  > cache.ext4.tar.gz
  > data.ext4.tar.gz
  > data.ext4.tar.gz.a
  > recovery.img
  > system.ext4.tar.gz.a
  > system.ext4.tar.gz
Finalizing, please wait...

Backup complete!
Backup time: 05:38 mn
Backup size: 674.20Mb
Compression: 39.31%
press any key to continue.

Second, I looked at my device storage through free browser mode in philz zip installer. And guess what ? I found this folder :
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3XkhPViwPVIEdNHQ5r
As you can see, there's an /usbotg folder in my phone's root.

So, according to these informations I've got, I have 2 theory :
- System and boot has been actually successfully flashed and installed because when I looked at what philz was backing up in /system partition, I saw my stock and specific application (such as hilauncher.apk or googlego.apk, screenshot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3XkhQFS4p4IPMcxnWy). Also, with my extracted system.img using assayyed, I can see those applications and even more stuff that was showed up in both philz backing up and inside the sub-system folder. However, the issue comes from either boot priority (phone refuses to boot in system and firstly boots into philz) or philz/twrp recovery have some trouble with boot priority.
- About otg, my phone really supports it and instead it seems that twrp doesn't support it or is unable to recognize otg cable/mouse.

So, please consider that but also, I can be wrong ! Just these are my theories.

Thanks

RMT

Edit :
After I compare philz backup and stock firmware recovery.img and boot.img, I can see that they both have exactly the same size too. So, now, boot partition is already stock or hasn't never been written ? Because before backing up, I've flashed twrp to boot partition and after didn't flash the stock boot.
This post was last modified: 18-09-2018, 07:59 PM by RMT.
RMT
RMT
RMT
Techie Member
18-09-2018, 06:39 PM
(18-09-2018, 05:22 PM)hovatek
(18-09-2018, 10:26 AM)RMT Waou, I don't think so that my emmc storage is dead. Because bootloader and recovery is still working. Also, only flashing recovery partition seems to be working. I can always flash either twrp or philz to it.

Just needed to clarify because it wasn't making sense that flashing to boot wasn't making any changes yet flashing to recovery was.
Re-process your ROM_1 and lets see how that goes.
On the side, try
Code:

fastboot boot twrp.img

Ok, before I unpack again the ROM_1, I have this error :
screenshot : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3XkhUBHjDYJ1opFKlc

But WwR always lets me extract the firmware. I think it's a common error.
Also, after extracting and comparing with my currently stock firmware, there's nothing wrong, both same files have the same size. So I think it's no necessary to flash it because it's actually the same (make sense, they come from the same backup).

And finally, as I said in my twrp thread, using this code has never worked even when my phone wasn't bricked. For being sure, I retried to flash twrp in boot partition instead of only boot it. But it always boot straight to philz.
screenshot : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkhax09r-7xgDfAum
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-09-2018, 10:04 AM
(18-09-2018, 06:39 PM)RMT And finally, as I said in my twrp thread, using this code has never worked even when my phone wasn't bricked. For being sure, I retried to flash twrp in boot partition instead of only boot it. But it always boot straight to philz.

For the fastboot boot command, you do not need to apply fastboot reboot because the command should auto boot you into custom recovery, might just take a while.
So this also doesn't work I guess.
This somewhat narrows down to about 3 things
1. Something wrong with the backup
2. A required file or partition isn't being flashed
3. Emmc issue (unlikely)

All that caused this was a system.img so by extension, something might be blocking the system images you're flashing.
According to the XDA guide
Quote:Your device is free of any heavy modifications such as the Xposed Framework, SuperSU, or Magisk. You can re-install these afterwards, but please be sure you are using the stock boot/ramdisk before proceeding.

Quick questions:
1. Did you attempt rooting (magisk or supersu) after you got into Philz for the first time?
2. Did you successfully flash any file using sp flash tool after the backup?
This post was last modified: 19-09-2018, 10:51 AM by hovatek.

Note!
RMT
RMT
RMT
Techie Member
19-09-2018, 04:15 PM
(19-09-2018, 10:04 AM)hovatek
(18-09-2018, 06:39 PM)RMT And finally, as I said in my twrp thread, using this code has never worked even when my phone wasn't bricked. For being sure, I retried to flash twrp in boot partition instead of only boot it. But it always boot straight to philz.

For the fastboot boot command, you do not need to apply fastboot reboot because the command should auto boot you into custom recovery, might just take a while.
So this also doesn't work I guess.
This somewhat narrows down to about 3 things
1. Something wrong with the backup
2. A required file or partition isn't being flashed
3. Emmc issue (unlikely)

All that caused this was a system.img so by extension, something might be blocking the system images you're flashing.
According to the XDA guide
Quote:Your device is free of any heavy modifications such as the Xposed Framework, SuperSU, or Magisk. You can re-install these afterwards, but please be sure you are using the stock boot/ramdisk before proceeding.

Quick questions:
1. Did you attempt rooting (magisk or supersu) after you got into Philz for the first time?
2. Did you successfully flash any file using sp flash tool after the backup?

As you said, I don't need to type fastboot reboot while I boot only but the fastboot reboot in the screenshot is for when I flash. But nevermind, we both know that it doesn't work.

Also, yes, something might block the system or boot.
I've been looking for what is it. And I think, maybe I have the same weird problem with Oneplus (https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus...r-t3800716, from troubleshooting tips). But I don't have vbmeta in my stock firmware. I just point out that my bootloader doesn't flash without system verity and mark the slot as not bootable after I flashed the custom rom. I'm not sure about that but I think my phone has AVD (android verified boot) or dm-verity. So I'll try to flash boot and system using:

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash system system.img

However, the real goal of this post is to answer your quick questions :
1. NEVER, you always tell me to never accept philz auto su. Actually, I flashed the gsi image with su and gapps first to rightly have both new rom and root access. And only after you said me to flash Magisk for testing.
2. No, I never use sp flash tool to flash, in case of avoiding trouble. And I always have the error when I attempt to download something using sp flash

Edit : I don't think my phone has AVD (because it doesn't have vbmeta.img file) anymore. But maybe has dm-verity.
Also, after reading and reading, now I think really that my bootloader set the system as not bootable and boot only into recovery (but never have bootloop). And I found this interesting fastboot command that let me set the slot (my device is a-only) as bootable :

-a, --set-active[=<slot>]                Sets the active slot. If no slot is
                                           provided, this will default to the value
                                           given by --slot. If slots are not
                                           supported, this does nothing. This will
                                           run after all non-reboot commands.

But I don't know how to use that.
This post was last modified: 19-09-2018, 04:32 PM by RMT.
RMT
RMT
RMT
Techie Member
19-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Ok,

I was checking out the 3 things and to reduce that, I tried different things. And now, I'm very sure that we can delete the #1 and #3 because philz backup, backing up in general works perfectly and my emmc isn't dead because it writes partition perfectly.

So, let me explain :

(1)
I tried the troubleshooting tips of xda tutorial. However, flashing Magisk failed (still vendor issue), using command fastboot -w flash system system.img failed (I flashed now the phh system 8.1 vanilla, to avoid su problem) and boot to philz.
screenshots for full log : (the --disable verification does nothing I guess, I think it is unnecessary)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkhg9Mr0vjJ-Vh82x
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkho_N0-ioJEEIcNB

But after, for being sure about my system has been really written, I did a system backup. And guess what ? backup's folder name changed to phh custom rom build.
screenshot : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3XkhlmPPl19y9qialX

And while philz is backing up system, it shows some very new file. Then, I unpacked the custom rom using assayed, and compared or looking for the file name that philz showed in rom folder. And yes, both matches.

(2)
About flashing twrp in boot partition :
Now, I would like to know if boot has been really written when I type :

fastboot flash boot twrp.img

So, I did it. Of course, it only boots into Philz. Then, I did a backup of boot partition.
After, I unpacked the boot.img backup using carliv. Next, compare files with the stock boot. First, I can see that root folder is the same (same size). But when I open both ramdisk folder, it is very different.
screenshot : (stock boot on the left and boot backup on the right) https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkhyr9ox-Yg7XStQr

And the real evidence of boot backup is twrp is when I opened the twres folder. That contains some specific twrp file and finally the splash.xml prove that it twrp.
screenshot : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3XkhvBFtIrT15CED1C
I guess you could see your signature : "Ported by team Hovatek"[Image: biggrin.gif]
Overall, boot partition has really been written.

(3)
I've also unpacked recovery.img of my previous successfully whole stock rom backup (with the very long log).
And, it wasn't actually the stock recovery as I said earlier. Yes, it was surprising me !
To do that, I just compare stock and backed up recovery. Root folder is still the same.
But in the ramdisk, very different.
screenshot : (stock recovery on the left and recovery backup on the right) https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkh3U818_wsmRdiVs

And looking at sbin folder confirmed that it is philz recovery because it contains supersu folder, the same who always ask me if I want to root my system.
screenshot : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkh60zobBIDxlA6Fh

(4)
After flashing the custom rom. I flashed the flashable zip I've created with assayyed. Of course, operation was successful. But after, I did a system + boot backup again and once it's finished, backup's folder name changed to my build number name and while it backing up system, I could see some specific stock app (like hilauncher.apk or googlego.apk).
After I unpacked the boot backup. And after comparing with stock, I conclude it's the same.
screenshot : (stock boot on the left and boot backup on the right) https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUA1o5VkY3Xkh8Lj19rRb8uTwZx
Root folder is the same.
Pages (7): Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next