Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Please help] Unpacked-repacked (stock) ROM is unbootable
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Please help] Unpacked-repacked (stock) ROM is unbootable

[Please help] Unpacked-repacked (stock) ROM is unbootable

rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
15-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Hello.

Something similar with this thread https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-18121-page-4.html
I have found this problem when I really didn't know why I can't port a custom ROM. Maybe I was wrong with boot.img ? Maybe with system.img ? NO. There was a problem with (any) unpack-repacking system.img tool.

I have tried to unpack the (stock) system.img and repack it back (without any modd). Any tools' output has a smaller size than the original image.... Flashed it via SPFT. Unbootable ... (stucked at Logo). Tried under Linux .... unbootable. Tried any kitchen ... unbootable.

+++ I have unlocked the bootloader +++ deleted the dm-verity ... again... unbootable.

Firmware: Android 7.0 Nougat, 3.18.35+, ... this one: http://en.myvoyo.com/xiazai/Win%20Pad/VOYO%5FQ101/down/

I have read other thread from Hovatek regarding this problem, but there is no solution ....
By the way: After unpacking and repacking the boot.img (for dm-verity erasing), everything is ok (using the stock, non-repacked system.img). The problem occurs with system.img modding...
This post was last modified: 15-09-2018, 07:27 PM by rauliordache.
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
16-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Any ideas?
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
17-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Up please
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
17-09-2018, 11:05 PM
(15-09-2018, 07:24 PM)rauliordache Hello.

try flashing the same stock rom on your phone wipe userdata and cache then boot to homescreen, don't install any apk yet
then create flashable zip using assayed kitchen without making modifications
collect system.img from assayed kitchen then flash using sp flashtool
see if it still bootloops or boots to homescreen
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
17-09-2018, 11:07 PM

(15-09-2018, 07:24 PM)rauliordache Hello.

Something similar with this thread https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-18121-page-4.html
I have found this problem when I really didn't know why I can't port a custom ROM. Maybe I was wrong with boot.img ? Maybe with system.img ? NO. There was a problem with (any) unpack-repacking system.img tool.

what procedure did you carry out on linux
mount and unmount without changes or mount, make changes then unmount?
rauliordache
rauliordache
rauliordache
21-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Just mounting-unmounting in Linux. No modifications.

Unfortunately, the only way to flash a new ROM is via TWRP (flashable .zip file).

1. Any Android <7.0 images works great with any tool (both in Windows and Linux). The output file (after the cycle of unpacking-repacking) has the same size as the original one
2. From Android >=7.0, after repacking, every tool's output has (-5 ~ -10MB less) than the original one. And thus, it is unbootable.

Flashing a custom TWRP, and then flashing a .zip file (with the system folder) works great.