Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Ported TWRP can't backup to Internal storage or OTG
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Ported TWRP can't backup to Internal storage or OTG

Ported TWRP can't backup to Internal storage or OTG

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
29-12-2018, 07:07 PM

I was able to get the ported TWRP on the Unihertz Atom (it has no Micro SD card slot) okay and working but it seems it's a Catch 22 situation now. Being an ecrypted phone the "Select Storage" for backup shows Zero bytes Internal even though it has over 50 Gigabytes free.  The only way I seem to be able to do a backup involves either formatting Data in TWRP or changing the file system. Once that is done I can select Internal storage and do a backup but there is no way to save that backup to a computer or even the Internal storage since a reboot after doing all that causes the phone to go into New Setup mode and your backup is gone and you have to start over just like you had done a phone full reset.

I tried 'Enable MTP' in TWRP but the computer still can't see it to fetch the backup and I'm guessing the backup wouldn't have much anyway after formatting Data.   ADB and Fastboot won't see the phone when it's in TWRP so I can't pull the backup off.   And after everything is setup again and you boot back into TWRP you have the same Zero byte Internal storage problem. Went through all this twice so TWRP seems useless at this point on this phone as it has no slot for a micro SDHC card and OTG doesn't work while in TWRP.   I recall seeing somewhere that TWRP was able to see OTG storage in the older versions around 2.8 or so.   Would it be possible to create a TWRP port of an older version like that?   Current ported version seems to be above 3.0.   If I'm missing any options please let me know.
This post was last modified: 29-12-2018, 07:08 PM by androtrix.
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
29-12-2018, 07:11 PM
I'm open to using a ported Philz custom recovery.  Does anyone know if it can see OTG storage?   The Atom has Oreo 8.1 on it.
This post was last modified: 29-12-2018, 07:11 PM by androtrix.
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
30-12-2018, 08:28 PM
I think the only solution is to disable DM verity and forced encryption but so far I haven't found a way to do that on this phone.   Lazyflasher might help but I'm still stuck with not being able to use TWRP to format data and install the Zip file to disable encryption.   Suggestions or help much appreciated
This post was last modified: 30-12-2018, 08:31 PM by androtrix.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
31-12-2018, 10:24 AM
(29-12-2018, 07:07 PM)androtrix ... Once that is done I can select Internal storage and do a backup but there is no way to save that backup to a computer or even the Internal storage since a reboot after doing all that causes the phone to go into New Setup mode and your backup is gone and you have to start over just like you had done a phone full reset. ...

format data
select internal storage and backup
setup as new device (doesn't require formatting again so files stored in int sd should still remain) and boot the phone to homescreen
use a file manager to copy the files from int sd

(29-12-2018, 07:07 PM)androtrix ...
I tried 'Enable MTP' in TWRP but the computer still can't see it to fetch the backup and I'm guessing the backup wouldn't have much anyway after formatting Data. ...

exactly, so the backup you create after doing factory reset is basically the same as having stock rom / firmware

(29-12-2018, 07:07 PM)androtrix ... I recall seeing somewhere that TWRP was able to see OTG storage in the older versions around 2.8 or so....

this is not entirely true, it maybe mount point problem, faulty otg cable or usb flash drive or who knows the phone might not have otg support
try the otg storage on another device
try the otg storage on your device while its booted to homescreen
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
31-12-2018, 10:26 AM

(29-12-2018, 07:11 PM)androtrix I'm open to using a ported Philz custom recovery.  Does anyone know if it can see OTG storage?   The Atom has Oreo 8.1 on it.

No, philz cant't
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
31-12-2018, 10:27 AM
(30-12-2018, 08:28 PM)androtrix I think the only solution is to disable DM verity and forced encryption but so far I haven't found a way to do that on this phone.   Lazyflasher might help but I'm still stuck with not being able to use TWRP to format data and install the Zip file to disable encryption.   Suggestions or help much appreciated

did you try adb sideload? see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-19467.html
for adb and fastboot not detecting the phone, try the fix at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-17105.html
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
31-12-2018, 07:37 PM
(31-12-2018, 10:24 AM)freshtyt
(29-12-2018, 07:07 PM)androtrix ... Once that is done I can select Internal storage and do a backup but there is no way to save that backup to a computer or even the Internal storage since a reboot after doing all that causes the phone to go into New Setup mode and your backup is gone and you have to start over just like you had done a phone full reset. ...

format data
select internal storage and backup
setup as new device (doesn't require formatting again so files stored in int sd should still remain) and boot the phone to homescreen
use a file manager to copy the files from int sd

Thanks for the reply.  I've done that twice but the backup disappears and everything is gone upon reboot from TWRP after formatting data and doing a backup.  The phone always starts up like it just had a factory reset.   I've actually tried probably a dozen times now with slight variations in this plan but there does not seem to be any way to get a backup of my set up phone or even the reset state.  

(29-12-2018, 07:07 PM)androtrix ...
I tried 'Enable MTP' in TWRP but the computer still can't see it to fetch the backup and I'm guessing the backup wouldn't have much anyway after formatting Data.  ...

exactly, so the backup you create after doing factory reset is basically the same as having stock rom / firmware

Which makes it essentially useless as I already have the stock ROM and can flash it at any time with SP Flash tools.

(29-12-2018, 07:07 PM)androtrix ... I recall seeing somewhere that TWRP was able to see OTG storage in the older versions around 2.8 or so....

this is not entirely true, it maybe mount point problem, faulty otg cable or usb flash drive or who knows the phone might not have otg support
try the otg storage on another device
try the otg storage on your device while its booted to homescreen

OTG cable works fine, phone does have OTG support and I can see and use OTG on the phone when it is booted to the Android OS.   Based on searches on other forums it seems to be a known issue with newer versions of TWRP.   Latest one I know for sure that worked with OTG was 2.8.2.0  but it might work with 2.8.4 also.   Is there a way to downgrade the TWRP version and still have it compatible?
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
31-12-2018, 07:51 PM
(31-12-2018, 10:27 AM)X3non
(30-12-2018, 08:28 PM)androtrix I think the only solution is to disable DM verity and forced encryption but so far I haven't found a way to do that on this phone.   Lazyflasher might help but I'm still stuck with not being able to use TWRP to format data and install the Zip file to disable encryption.   Suggestions or help much appreciated

for adb and fastboot not detecting the phone, try the fix at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-17105.html

Thanks for the reply.   ADB and Fastboot both work fine on the phone.   I can flash zip files from TWRP like noencrypt zip file but it doesn't decrypt upon reboot phone is still encrypted.  Tried multiple ways using several decrypt zips.  The problem is not getting files onto the phone but getting a backup off the phone.  As far as I know ADB will only be able to pull files after the phone is booted into Anroid OS at which point the backup is gone and it would only be a backup of the startup / reset condition making it useless as I already have full ROMs.   I think I've given up on the idea that I can get a TWRP backup unless I can make an older version for the phone so I will just rely on Titanium backup much as I don't care for how it backs up to hundreds or thousands of files and isn't a whole image backup.   Many things in settings are lost when doing a restore with Titanium versus TWRP restoring everything exactly as it was.
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
31-12-2018, 08:02 PM
(31-12-2018, 10:27 AM)X3non

My statement about not being able to install the zip file with TWRP may have been confusing as it only applied to one Zip I tried.  Others worked okay with TWRP although I think at the time I wrote that I had only tried the one zip file.   
androtrix
androtrix
androtrix
31-12-2018, 09:38 PM

If you look at Team Win Github you'll see at least 29 issues of OTG reported not working and it seems it started around TWRP version 2.8.6.
I don't think it fails on all phones after that version but it seems that's about when it started for a lot of phones.
This post was last modified: 31-12-2018, 09:38 PM by androtrix.
Pages (2): 1 2 Next