Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Development] auto twrp recovery porter v.1.4 and Wiko Sunny
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Development] auto twrp recovery porter v.1.4 and Wiko Sunny

[Development] auto twrp recovery porter v.1.4 and Wiko Sunny

Alvin50
Alvin50
Alvin50
Enthusiastic Member
17-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Hi all,
I'm trying to install TWRP recovery on a Wiko Sunny.
I have made hudreds of unsuccessful trials using all methods I can have heard on...
So I gave a try to Auto TWRP Recovery Porter V1.4
The phone was already rooted, and I had PhilZ Touch 6.59.0 installed.
Also installed was the wiko official update Android Marshmallow 6 [23] kernel 3.18.19
from which I took the stock recovery to port. The Recovery Porter found DM verity
true, and asked for a boot.img patch, but it was irrelevant, as the phone was rooted.
Anyway, I tried to install the patched recovery, and ended with a TWRP screen where
the touch was inactive, so I couldn't swipe to go  on. I then thought it dipended by the
recovery I used, or, as I have read somewhere, by a kernel problem. After other useless
trials, I guessed that it couldn't be a kernel issue, because PhilZ touch used this very kernel
and had touch active. So I tried to use the PhilZ recovery image as input for the TWRP
Porter. This time I had the "No DM verity found" message, but the final result was the same,
no touch. So I suppose that the problem is in the TWRP recovery itself.
I have found old similar issues on this forum, but in most cases I couldn't test the solutions
given there, because their links were broken and the files lost.
Summing up, it appears that the recovery obtained from Recovery Porter v1.4 using recovery.img
of PhilZ Touch 6.59.0 is the most likely to be modified to achieve a successful TWRP on Wiko Sunny...
Any hint?
Best regards
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
17-04-2019, 04:16 PM
(17-04-2019, 10:47 AM)Alvin50 Hi all,
I'm trying to install TWRP recovery on a Wiko Sunny.
I have made hudreds of unsuccessful trials using all methods I can have heard on...
So I gave a try to Auto TWRP Recovery Porter V1.4
The phone was already rooted, and I had PhilZ Touch 6.59.0 installed.
Also installed was the wiko official update Android Marshmallow 6 [23] kernel 3.18.19
from which I took the stock recovery to port. The Recovery Porter found DM verity
true, and asked for a boot.img patch, but it was irrelevant, as the phone was rooted.
Anyway, I tried to install the patched recovery, and ended with a TWRP screen where
the touch was inactive, so I couldn't swipe to go  on. I then thought it dipended by the
recovery I used, or, as I have read somewhere, by a kernel problem. After other useless
trials, I guessed that it couldn't be a kernel issue, because PhilZ touch used this very kernel
and had touch active. So I tried to use the PhilZ recovery image as input for the TWRP
Porter. This time I had the "No DM verity found" message, but the final result was the same,
no touch. So I suppose that the problem is in the TWRP recovery itself.
I have found old similar issues on this forum, but in most cases I couldn't test the solutions
given there, because their links were broken and the files lost.
Summing up, it appears that the recovery obtained from Recovery Porter v1.4 using recovery.img
of PhilZ Touch 6.59.0 is the most likely to be modified to achieve a successful TWRP on Wiko Sunny...
Any hint?
Best regards

flash TWRP into boot partition then boot the phone normally, it will boot into twrp then check if touch works and lets know the outcome (ensure to backup your current boot.img before doing this as you'll need to flash it back in order to boot the phone into homescreen)
Alvin50
Alvin50
Alvin50
Enthusiastic Member
18-04-2019, 07:36 PM
fastboot boot 'anyimage.img' doesn't work in this phone...
I unsuccessfully tried it some days ago, and now too.
For sake of clarity, the commands I gave are the following:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
<fastboot oem unlock> (a single try including it  also, no change, only a system wipe)
fastboot boot myrecovery.img
After this last command I had the following  lines thrown on the console and on the phone display
            CONSOLE .........................................................................DISPLAY (The screen is black and the rows are at half height screen)
Sending 'boot.img' <11086 KB>  OKAY [0.515s]........................................USB Transferring
booting........................................OKAY[0.047s].........................................USB Transmission OK
finished total time 0.593s
the console then blocks, impossible to send other commands........After some time the phone reboots to high level Android.
.....................................................................................................If turned off and then switched to recovery mode it shows
......................................................................................................Philz former recovery (TWRP fasboot boot unsuccessful)
Best regards
This post was last modified: 18-04-2019, 07:53 PM by Alvin50.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
19-04-2019, 11:47 AM
(18-04-2019, 07:36 PM)Alvin50 fastboot boot 'anyimage.img' doesn't work in this phone...

i was referring to "fastboot flash boot recovery.img"
then "fastboot reboot"
this should boot the phone straight into twrp
Alvin50
Alvin50
Alvin50
Enthusiastic Member
19-04-2019, 05:31 PM

Thanks for your support!
I hoped it was a fault of mine, but also
fastboot flash boot recovery.img  (copied and pasted this for sake) gave an error:
(Here I use dots as spaces, because the editor shrinks out  spaces an tabs)
Sending 'boot'......<1196 KB>..................................OKAY   [ 0577s]
Writing 'boot'..........................................................FAILED <remote: 'download for partition 'boot' is not allowed'>
fastboot: error: Command failed
I gave this command sequence:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot flash boot recovery.img

What else?

Edit: MY FAULT! In the un-numberable trials I did, I forgot to unlock, or inadvertendly re-locked the bootlock
 Now it boots into twrp,  no touch anyway.
But to ascertain I'll repeat the test a couple of times again.
This post was last modified: 19-04-2019, 06:09 PM by Alvin50.
Alvin50
Alvin50
Alvin50
Enthusiastic Member
20-04-2019, 02:58 AM
Now I'm ready to report...

I have tested five recoveries, two from PhilZ, three TWRP.
The Philz ones had touch working, as usual, while none of the TWRPs did, as usual...
Every time I tested a recovery, it ended in a bootloop, that's while rebooting from
the recovery I came back again into the same one. This looks as a fastboot issue, as
the same ones, if flashed with flashtools performed correctly. Maybe an address issue,
as fastboot doesn't use scatter file.
Each time I started from the official update file "sunny V46" with its own installer.
Each time I re-enabled developer and security options.
I also standardized the test using a batch file to avoid mistyping or distraction-due
mistakes, that are easy to happen on repetitive tasks.
Here's the command list:

adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot oem unlock
pause
pause
fastboot reboot

I have put the pauses to allow inputs to the phone and to test for reboot mode as I had
a suspect that it set the bootlock on again. Fastboot reboot is a pain in the *** as
every time it is called it's necessary to manually set all developer's crap...
That's all, presently, thank you for your support
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
20-04-2019, 06:28 PM
(20-04-2019, 02:58 AM)Alvin50 Now I'm ready to report...

I have tested five recoveries, two from PhilZ, three TWRP.
The Philz ones had touch working, as usual, while none of the TWRPs did, as usual...
Every time I tested a recovery, it ended in a bootloop, that's while rebooting from
the recovery I came back again into the same one. This looks as a fastboot issue, as
the same ones, if flashed with flashtools performed correctly. Maybe an address issue,
as fastboot doesn't use scatter file.
Each time I started from the official update file "sunny V46" with its own installer.
Each time I re-enabled developer and security options.
I also standardized the test using a batch file to avoid mistyping or distraction-due
mistakes, that are easy to happen on repetitive tasks.
Here's the command list:

adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot oem unlock
pause
pause
fastboot reboot

I have put the pauses to allow inputs to the phone and to test for reboot mode as I had
a suspect that it set the bootlock on again. Fastboot reboot is a pain in the *** as
every time it is called it's necessary to manually set all developer's crap...
That's all, presently, thank you for your support

just to confirm, after sending the last command "fastboot reboot", does the phone boot straight into twrp recovery?
Alvin50
Alvin50
Alvin50
Enthusiastic Member
20-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Yes, after 'fastboot reboot' it rebooted on the recovery I flashed.
When flashing TWRP I then had a touchless screen I coudn't swipe.
Pushing power button caused the display change with an overimpressed
padlock. no other action possible. Extracting an reinserting the battery led
to the same screen on power up.
When flashing Philz, it came on with touch working, but when I selected
"reboot", it rebooted on itself and I had to restore the previous official update.

Which utility could I use to have a comparison file between the PhilZ ad the TWRP recoveries?
In my opinion this is the very starting point. I tried to do something like with Double Commander,
but it isn't the right tool for this.
Alternately, it would be necessary to have the source code for both, at least for the touch section.
Best regards
This post was last modified: 20-04-2019, 09:12 PM by Alvin50.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
22-04-2019, 01:24 PM
(20-04-2019, 08:57 PM)Alvin50 Yes, after 'fastboot reboot' it rebooted on the recovery I flashed.
When flashing TWRP I then had a touchless screen I coudn't swipe.
Pushing power button caused the display change with an overimpressed
padlock. no other action possible. Extracting an reinserting the battery led
to the same screen on power up.
When flashing Philz, it came on with touch working, but when I selected
"reboot", it rebooted on itself and I had to restore the previous official update.

Which utility could I use to have a comparison file between the PhilZ ad the TWRP recoveries?
In my opinion this is the very starting point. I tried to do something like with Double Commander,
but it isn't the right tool for this.
Alternately, it would be necessary to have the source code for both, at least for the touch section.
Best regards

you can try this @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-27132.html OR build TWRP from source, if you have kernel sources for your device you can check the official guide @ XDA
Alvin50
Alvin50
Alvin50
Enthusiastic Member
26-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Thank you,
I already saw the first tutorial of Borkim Sachar, and gave him some try, but it had yet some imprecision that made it difficult to follow.
In the meantime I have read the russian article where there is  the fundament, and better understood Sachim's also.
I then was able to repeat the passages of his tutorial.
Now I see he did a newer more detailed version in the link you gave me, so it's better I also comment  there, as it's more recent.
I have not yet solved my problem, because tpd_i2c_probe is not in my kallsyms list.
I'll refer my details in the new thread.
Best regards.
This post was last modified: 26-04-2019, 05:20 PM by Alvin50.