Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Downloads] Launch Any App in Ultra Power Mode
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Downloads] Launch Any App in Ultra Power Mode

[Downloads] Launch Any App in Ultra Power Mode

bluestuff
bluestuff
bluestuff
27-04-2019, 05:13 PM

Ultra Power Mode is a popular power saving feature found on brands like TECNO, iTEL, INFINIX. If you have used any of those devices from as far back as Android 4, you definitely have come across the Ultra Power Mode feature. When activated, the device kills all non essential services to extend the battery life and overall usage of the phone. 

It is a useful feature. Useful as long as all you want is to keep your device in idle to receive calls and texts. I know, it is like going back to feature phones. If you are like me, you will need to tinker with the device at some point. Perhaps you want to show someone a screenshot or take a quick selfie because the light is just perfect at that moment. One problem though, the device is in Ultra Power Mode. You can't launch the Gallery or the Camera app. What to do, what to do?

On most devices prior to Android 5+, you could launch an app while still in Ultra Power Mode but it was tedious. You had to dial a secret code (*#*#4636#*#*) which opened a settings page, then find the apps sub item then select an app, then scroll down, then launch the app. That's one step too many but it is where I got the inspiration to create a much faster way of launching apps while never disabling Ultra Power mode.

Enter "Power Launcher", the remedy to the tedious process above. You can launch any app (system or user installed) as long as it is launch-able. I achieved this by creating an app that lists all launch-able apps and launches them on tap. It is however not a conventional launcher (in that it won't be recognized by the system as a launcher but as a regular app) and the only way it works is if it installed as a system app (to be precise 'system/priv-app').

Disclaimer: While I have not experienced any bricking issues while installing and using this app, there are no guarantees that that won't happen and as such I am not liable for any harm that may arise as a result of use of this information.

USAGE
So how do I use it? You may ask - simple. Dial a secret code. Pretty much like how you would open the settings app as described above. The difference is, I use a separate code. Once installed (see installation instructions below) dial *#*#000#*#* and 'Power Launcher' will load momentarily.

WHAT DOES THE APP DO?
  1. Launch any app
  2. Enable/Disable Mobile data
  3. Turn torch on/off (as long as the battery level is above 15%)
  4. Enable/Disable Wifi (Wifi should already be saved in Android Settings)
  5. Kill background apps after you’re done with them (experimental)
  6. Enable/Disable Hotspot (Like wifi, hotspot should be configured beforehand in Android Settings)

HOW DO I SWITCH BACK TO THE POWER LAUNCHER AFTER LAUNCHING AN APP?
Simple, just access Recent tasks and tap on Power Launcher. See screenshots at the end of this post.

COOL, SO HOW DO I INSTALL THIS APP?
Two Ways:
  1. Flashable Zip File (If you don't have a rooted device)
  2. Via PC or A File Manager like ES (For rooted phones). 

METHOD ONE: FLASHABLE ZIP
You should have a custom recovery installed on your device (e.g TWRP, Clockworkmod, Philz).
I have tested the zip file with both TWRP and Clockworkmod and installation went smoothly without a hitch.

Download the Zip File Here (Power Launcher Flashable Zip) and flash it. if you don't know how to flash a zip file in custom recovery, chances are you don't even have a custom recovery installed and as such I won't get into to how to go about it. There are tutorials out there just a google search away.

Once the installation is complete, reboot device and dial the secret code (*#*#000#*#*) to test the app.

METHOD TWO: WITH A WINDOWS PC or ES FILE MANAGER ON ANDROID
Via PC: 
  • Download the application here (Power Launcher For Rooted Devices)
  • Make sure you have installed ABD drivers on the PC.
  • Extract the downloaded Zip and connect your device to your PC with USB debugging enabled.
  • In the extracted folder, locate "install.bat" and run it. The installation will take less than a minute.
  • Reboot the device after a successful installation and run the app in Ultra Power Mode by dialing the secret code - *#*#000#*#*

Via File Mananger with root access like ES File Manager
  • Download and extract the file linked in the section above.
  • Copy the "PowerLauncher" apk file to your device.
  • On your device, copy the apk file and navigate to /system/priv-app.
  • If you're running android version < 5, just paste the apk file. In the file properties give the file the permission as 0644 or rw-r-r depending on which file manager you use.
  • If you're running android 5 and above, you will need to create a directory under /system/priv-app with the name PowerLauncher then paste the apk file in the newly created directory. For permissions, the PowerLauncher directory will require 0755 and the apk file will require 0644 just like above in order to actually work.
  • After all that, reboot the device and dial the secret code (*#*#000#*#*) to test the app while in Ultra Power Mode.

See my website for more info

SCREENSHOTS

[Image: screenshot-app-169x300.png][Image: screenshot-settings-169x300.png][Image: screenshot-recent-169x300.png]

Feedback is always appreciated.
This post was last modified: 27-04-2019, 05:40 PM by bluestuff.