Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Need help flashing recovery and custom rom on a generic Chinese tablet [MT6592]
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Need help flashing recovery and custom rom on a generic Chinese tablet [MT6592]

Need help flashing recovery and custom rom on a generic Chinese tablet [MT6592]

billza7
billza7
billza7
18-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched around for hours and couldn't find a solution.
Tablet Specification (from AnTuTu):
Brand: T906
CPU model: MT6592
Root: Yes
Android SDK version: 19 (Android 4.4)
Kernel: 3.4.67

Back story: so I bought a generic Chinese tablet online which came with android kitkat. The app I wanted to use (simply piano) unfortunately only runs on Android Lollipop and newer, so I wanted to flash custom rom. 

Problem: I managed to root the tablet using KingRoot, but failed to flash custom recovery like TWRP and my understand is that you can't flash custom rom without a custom recovery.

What I've done: I found a twrp .img file that claims to work with the exact CPU and Kernel of my device here. I then attempted to flash said twrp using the following methods:
1. Androids apps (Flashify, RashR, Official TWRP App)
2. ADB and Fastboot (when I use 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img', it says partition recovery 'recovery' not support flash)
3. Flashtool (followed the steps of this website)
Even after what seemed like a successful flash, whenever I try to boot to recovery, it just goes straight to normal startup and my lockscreen appears. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: I forgot to mention about the bootloader. I tried using the dialer method to check if the bootloader is unlocked but nothing pops up, then I tried the adb method (fastboot oem device-info) but it just shows blank. Then I tried the 'fastboot getvar unlocked', and it returned 'Unlocked: ', so I'm not really sure if the bootloader is unlocked but I just continued with it.
This post was last modified: 18-06-2019, 12:27 PM by billza7.
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
18-06-2019, 02:20 PM
(18-06-2019, 12:23 PM)billza7 Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched around for hours and couldn't find a solution.

Back story: so I bought a generic Chinese tablet online which came with android kitkat. The app I wanted to use (simply piano) unfortunately only runs on Android Lollipop and newer, so I wanted to flash custom rom. 

Problem: I managed to root the tablet using KingRoot, but failed to flash custom recovery like TWRP and my understand is that you can't flash custom rom without a custom recovery.

What I've done: I found a twrp .img file that claims to work with the exact CPU and Kernel of my device here. I then attempted to flash said twrp using the following methods:
1. Androids apps (Flashify, RashR, Official TWRP App)
2. ADB and Fastboot (when I use 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img', it says partition recovery 'recovery' not support flash)
3. Flashtool (followed the steps of this website)
Even after what seemed like a successful flash, whenever I try to boot to recovery, it just goes straight to normal startup and my lockscreen appears. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: I forgot to mention about the bootloader. I tried using the dialer method to check if the bootloader is unlocked but nothing pops up, then I tried the adb method (fastboot oem device-info) but it just shows blank. Then I tried the 'fastboot getvar unlocked', and it returned 'Unlocked:    ', so I'm not really sure if the bootloader is unlocked but I just continued with it.

are you able to boot the phone to stock recovery? 
backup the phone's frmware using miracle box @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13347.html and let's us know once successful.
This post was last modified: 18-06-2019, 02:23 PM by xerxes.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-06-2019, 07:50 AM
(18-06-2019, 12:23 PM)billza7 Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched around for hours and couldn't find a solution.

Using a custom recovery for your phone's chipset won't work. It needs to be ported for your exact model.
First things first, do you have the firmware for your model? If not, have you done a full backup of your firmware?
If not, try backup using MTK droid tools @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-468.html
Maybe you could even port CWM using https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-455.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.