Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to revive a totally dead Mediatek device
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to revive a totally dead Mediatek device

[Tutorial] How to revive a totally dead Mediatek device

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 541 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
14-05-2014, 03:07 AM

There are quite a number of reasons why your Mediatek device could not only be bricked but stay totally dead with no sign of life. In such a situation, pressing the power button will have no effect.  This guide will briefly analyze each scenario and recommend fixes.

Causes and solutions for dead Mediatek (MTK) device

Drained battery

The battery might be drained, causing the phone to appear bricked or totally dead. This is particularly rampant in Mediatek devices which have inbuilt batteries. Taking out and re-inserting the battery is a quick fix but in a case where the battery is inbuilt and you don't have the tools/skills to take it out then you need to keep charging the device

Interrupted flashing

If you interrupt any Mediatek flash tool then there's a very good chance that the device will go dead. This is the device stuck in Flash Mode. Interruptions could range from you accidentally shaking/removing the USB cord to the tool popping up an error message in the middle of a task. If you find yourself in this situation then it's nothing to worry about, simply follow this guide

Flashing a wrong firmware

This is one of the most common causes of bricking on Mediatek devices. Just because you find a firmware for your phone model doesn't necessarily guarantee that it will work on your device without issues. Mediatek phones often have different variants/build numbers so it's important you flash a firmware for your build. If this is what caused your phone to get bricked then downloading the right firmware and flashing it should help revive the device.  Feel free to look through our Android firmware Collection for a compatible stock rom

Flashing unsigned files / backed up firmware

Newer Mediatek devices which have features like Secure Boot get bricked when you flash an unsigned file to them (even a backup from another device of the same model). You'll need a factory (signed) firmware to fix such devices

Dead boot

In extreme cases where the desktop PC won't even detect the device despite having installed the right drivers (the PC makes no sound and the device manager doesn't refresh), you'll have to revert to soldering points on the motherboard to force detection. We have more on this method over here so be sure to look it up if this best describes your current situation
This post was last modified: 13-11-2023, 12:59 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
eaziemurphatt
eaziemurphatt
eaziemurphatt
21-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Please I'm having dis issue, my fone was boot looped tried the methods u said buh instead of getting better it got worse it dint even turn on...my fone is a3 I dunno how t get or where t get an unbricked one...please help me
dark angel
dark angel
dark angel
Techie Member
22-05-2014, 07:17 AM
(14-05-2014, 03:07 AM)hovatek If you accidentally bricked your Tecno phone through whatever means then follow this guide on how to unbrick / fix a bricked Tecno phone to fix it. Some people; however, attempt unbricking / fixing their bricked Tecno phones using either the wrong procedure or OS files. As a result, their devices get worse. The phones enter into a higher level of unbricking whereby, they dont even boot or charge any more, just dead. Even pressing the power button would have no effect in such a scenario. What has happened is called a Corrupted Preloader.
We wont go into details about the function of the Preloader but one function - which you must've figured out by now - is that its what makes your Tecno phone boot. To fix the problem of a Corrupted Preloader, you'll need the following:

Tools needed
* A working Tecno phone of the same model
* Download PdaNet
* Download MTK Droid tools
* Download SP Flash Tool
* PC
* USB Cord

Procedure
* Important! Put aside any procedure you think you know because it obviously has not helped.
* Enable USB debugging on the good Tecno phone (Settings > Developer) then connect it to PC
* Install PdaNet on the PC with the USB debugging enabled working Tecno phone still connected
* At the end of PdaNet installation, you should get a "drivers successfully installed" message
* Launch MTK droid tools still with the working Tecno phone connected to PC
* MTK droid tools should detect and display the phones details by the left along with a yellow box at the bottom
* Click ROOT at the bottom of MTK and select Yes/OK if prompted on PC and Grant if prompted on phone
* A progress bar should load at the bottom shortly after which the yellow box should become green
* Click on the root,backup,recovery tab at the top
* Click Backup (MTK should keep writing some things by the right hand side during backup) and wait till backup is complete
* If you get a prompt to pack backup, select No.
* Once backup is complete, don't close MTK droid tools
* Go to the MTK droid tools folder > Backups > Folder named after the phone's model e.g Tecno_m3_backup.... and take note of this folder as the 'Backup folder' because we'll be referring to it soon
* Go back to MTK droid tools and click 'To prepare blocks for Flash Tool'
* A window will open, in this window, navigate to the Backup folder (mentioned above) and select the md5 file
* MTK will start copying some items (check the right hand side) so wait till copying is complete
* One copying is complete, open the Backup folder and you should see a folder named "!Files to flash"
* Open the "!Files to flash" folder and you should see a file named "preloader.bin" (right-click on the file and select properties to confirm) and it might have a VLC or any other media player icon
* Now that you have the correct preloader file (please forget any other one you think you have), disconnect the working Tecno phone
* Its now time to flash the preloader.bin file to the bricked Tecno phone using SP Flash Tool (see How to use SP Flash Tool)
* Using SP Flash Tool, flash the preloader.bin first.
* If flashing was successful then your phone should be able to vibrate when you press the power button or boot if the correct files are present on your phone; else, flash other necessary files to make the phone boot up and start working normally again.

ok I have open sp flash tool and use your steps but after I hit F9 and download is complete my I tried to boot and its vibrate and not oped

(22-05-2014, 07:17 AM)dark angel
(14-05-2014, 03:07 AM)hovatek If you accidentally bricked your Tecno phone through whatever means then follow this guide on how to unbrick / fix a bricked Tecno phone to fix it. Some people; however, attempt unbricking / fixing their bricked Tecno phones using either the wrong procedure or OS files. As a result, their devices get worse. The phones enter into a higher level of unbricking whereby, they dont even boot or charge any more, just dead. Even pressing the power button would have no effect in such a scenario. What has happened is called a Corrupted Preloader.
We wont go into details about the function of the Preloader but one function - which you must've figured out by now - is that its what makes your Tecno phone boot. To fix the problem of a Corrupted Preloader, you'll need the following:

Tools needed
* Download PdaNet
* Download SP Flash Tool
* PC
* USB Cord

Procedure
* Important! Put aside any procedure you think you know because it obviously has not helped.
* Enable USB debugging on the good Tecno phone (Settings > Developer) then connect it to PC
* Install PdaNet on the PC with the USB debugging enabled working Tecno phone still connected
* At the end of PdaNet installation, you should get a "drivers successfully installed" message
* MTK droid tools should detect and display the phones details by the left along with a yellow box at the bottom
* Click ROOT at the bottom of MTK and select Yes/OK if prompted on PC and Grant if prompted on phone
* A progress bar should load at the bottom shortly after which the yellow box should become green
* Click Backup (MTK should keep writing some things by the right hand side during backup) and wait till backup is complete
* Go to the MTK droid tools folder > Backups > Folder named after the phone's model e.g Tecno_m3_backup.... and take note of this folder as the 'Backup folder' because we'll be referring to it soon
* A window will open, in this window, navigate to the Backup folder (mentioned above) and select the md5 file
* MTK will start copying some items (check the right hand side) so wait till copying is complete
* One copying is complete, open the Backup folder and you should see a folder named "!Files to flash"
* Open the "!Files to flash" folder and you should see a file named "preloader.bin" (right-click on the file and select properties to confirm) and it might have a VLC or any other media player icon
* Now that you have the correct preloader file (please forget any other one you think you have), disconnect the working Tecno phone
* Its now time to flash the preloader.bin file to the bricked Tecno phone using SP Flash Tool (see How to use SP Flash Tool)
* If flashing was successful then your phone should be able to vibrate when you press the power button or boot if the correct files are present on your phone; else, flash other necessary files to make the phone boot up and start working normally again.

ok I have open sp flash tool and use your steps but after I hit F9 and download is complete my I tried to boot and its vibrate and not oped

can you provide us by the correct preloader,bin for tecno m3 cuz I can't put my hand on a working tecno m3 phone
This post was last modified: 22-05-2014, 07:49 AM by dark angel.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-05-2014, 09:08 AM
(22-05-2014, 07:17 AM)dark angel can you provide us by the correct preloader,bin for tecno m3 cuz I can't put my hand on a working tecno m3 phone

Download @ http://www.hovatek.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=306

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
dark angel
dark angel
dark angel
Techie Member
22-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Tools needed
* Download PdaNet
* Download SP Flash Tool
* PC
* USB Cord

Procedure

Tools needed
* Download PdaNet
* Download SP Flash Tool
* PC
* USB Cord

Procedure

can you provide us by the correct preloader,bin for tecno m3 cuz I can't put my hand on a working tecno m3 phone

ok I select preloader.bin that u gave it to me but it become even worst when I press the power bottom it vibrate and not boot up . please help me
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-05-2014, 10:47 AM
(22-05-2014, 09:21 AM)dark angel ok I select preloader.bin that u gave it to me but it become even worst when I press the power bottom it vibrate and not boot up . please help me

You can't flash only preloader.bin and expect the phone to come up. You need to flash other files too ; boot, system, ebr etc

Note!
dark angel
dark angel
dark angel
Techie Member
22-05-2014, 10:54 AM
(22-05-2014, 10:47 AM)hovatek [quote='dark angel' pid='595' dateline='1400746878']
ok I select preloader.bin that u gave it to me but it become even worst when I press the power bottom it vibrate and not boot up . please help me

You can't flash only preloader.bin and expect the phone to come up. You need to flash other files too ; boot, system, ebr etc
[/quote
well do you have these files cuz I have boot.img and recovery.img please give me the link to them as soon as possible
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-05-2014, 01:28 PM
(22-05-2014, 10:54 AM)dark angel well do you have these files cuz I have boot.img and recovery.img please give me the link to them as soon as possible

You'll have to extract them from a working M3

Note!
eaziemurphatt
eaziemurphatt
eaziemurphatt
22-05-2014, 03:58 PM

Tools needed
* Download PdaNet
* Download SP Flash Tool
* PC
* USB Cord

Procedure

Please I can't find a working fone, can u help me
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-05-2014, 04:31 PM

(22-05-2014, 03:58 PM)eaziemurphatt Please I can't find a working fone, can u help me

What model of phone?

Note!
Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 541 Next