Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Creating a custom TWRP for PowKiddy x18
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

Creating a custom TWRP for PowKiddy x18

Creating a custom TWRP for PowKiddy x18

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
Enthusiastic Member
11-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Hello,
A group of us are working on creating a custom ROM to remove all the Chinese bloat from this gaming device (PowKiddy X18 MTK8163). We have overcome a few challenges so far, but we are running into some roadblocks.
1. We started off by using Mtk-su to back up the whole ROM on the device itself because we didn't have a scatter file or any way of getting the firmware for this device.
2. We created a scatter file from scratch and did a real backup using the device. This allowed another individual to unbrick their device.
3. We started trying to make a TWRP with your application using v1 of the firmware. Another person with the same chipset used a higher version of the application because he has Android 9. Neither of our flashed recoveries changes the recovery on the device from stock.

We still need to get TWRP going and a way of unlocking the bootloader (this device has remapped the volume up button to function as cancel, so we cannot use fastboot oem unlock). After that, we are going to start building a custom ROM using everything that we have to make this device better.

This site has been a goldmine so far, hoping one of you can shed some light on this.
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
11-11-2019, 04:59 PM
(11-11-2019, 02:44 PM)ilikefiles Hello,
A group of us are working on creating a custom ROM to remove all the Chinese bloat from this gaming device (PowKiddy X18 MTK8163). We have overcome a few challenges so far, but we are running into some roadblocks.
1. We started off by using Mtk-su to back up the whole ROM on the device itself because we didn't have a scatter file or any way of getting the firmware for this device.
2. We created a scatter file from scratch and did a real backup using the device. This allowed another individual to unbrick their device.
3. We started trying to make a TWRP with your application using v1 of the firmware. Another person with the same chipset used a higher version of the application because he has Android 9. Neither of our flashed recoveries changes the recovery on the device from stock.

We still need to get TWRP going and a way of unlocking the bootloader (this device has remapped the volume up button to function as cancel, so we cannot use fastboot oem unlock). After that, we are going to start building a custom ROM using everything that we have to make this device better.

This site has been a goldmine so far, hoping one of you can shed some light on this.

what is the android version of your own device?
try using v1.4 of the tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html
if there's dm_verity found then remember to patch boot
about bootloader, have you actually tried the other vol button? its possible that the way you've held the tab, vol up becomes vol down and vice versa so try the second vol button to be certain
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
Enthusiastic Member
11-11-2019, 05:45 PM
I'm using Android 7. I just tried using v1.4 with all the correct options. It says that dm_verity was not found and that I don't need to patch boot, but it fails to create a custom recovery at the end.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-11-2019, 09:27 AM
(11-11-2019, 05:45 PM)ilikefiles I'm using Android 7. I just tried using v1.4 with all the correct options. It says that dm_verity was not found and that I don't need to patch boot, but it fails to create a custom recovery at the end.

temp. disable your antivirus if you have one installed then retry porting again
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
Enthusiastic Member
12-11-2019, 01:41 PM

It's not being blocked by antivirus, I checked.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-11-2019, 10:40 PM
(12-11-2019, 01:41 PM)ilikefiles It's not being blocked by antivirus, I checked.

if that's the case, then something else on your PC is blocking access
you can try using a different PC
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
Enthusiastic Member
13-11-2019, 01:23 AM
I tried three different PCs and I get the same result using 1.4. I also want to note again, another person with a device that also uses the same chipset but a higher version of Android is able to use 1.5 and they still have stock firmware after flashing. They also do not get a DM verity message.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
13-11-2019, 10:03 PM
(13-11-2019, 01:23 AM)ilikefiles I tried three different PCs and I get the same result using 1.4. I also want to note again, another person with a device that also uses the same chipset but a higher version of Android is able to use 1.5 and they still have stock firmware after flashing. They also do not get a DM verity message.

attach the log file and did you temp disable your AV or not?
you can zip & upload your stock recovery.img then post the link here then create a different thread for the android 9 device to avoid confusion
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
ilikefiles
Enthusiastic Member
14-11-2019, 01:10 AM
Yes, AV was disabled. Here is the recovery: https://we.tl/t-k5DuydnXx4

As for the log file, you made it have some crazy read/write permissions that makes it impossible to do anything with it.
This post was last modified: 14-11-2019, 01:12 AM by ilikefiles.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
14-11-2019, 03:29 PM

(14-11-2019, 01:10 AM)ilikefiles Yes, AV was disabled. Here is the recovery: https://we.tl/t-k5DuydnXx4

As for the log file, you made it have some crazy read/write permissions that makes it impossible to do anything with it.

try this twrp @ ...
you should be able to access the log file after you've exited the tool
This post was last modified: 18-11-2019, 08:07 PM by X3non.
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next