Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to use QFIL to flash to a single partition on Qualcomm
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Tutorial] How to use QFIL to flash to a single partition on Qualcomm

[Tutorial] How to use QFIL to flash to a single partition on Qualcomm

X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
07-12-2019, 10:12 AM

This is a step-by-step guide on how to use Qualcomm Flash Image Loader (QFIL) to flash a single partition on Qualcomm smartphones and tablets. QPST contains this QFIL and other tools. It enables you flash / backup from Qualcomm CPU without a box or dongle. To know more about QFIL, read this post

Requirements

How to flash a single file on a qualcomm android phone using QFIL

Follow the steps below to flash a single partition on a qualcomm android phone using Qualcomm Flash Image Loader (QFIL)

See the video tutorial below or at https://youtu.be/MdknZvaTwl4

1. Launch QFIL

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-1.jpg]

2. Click Configuration > FireHose Configuration

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-2.jpg]

3. In the Download Configuration window that opens next, click the drop down bar beside device type and select your device storage

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-3.jpg]

4. Click OK

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-4.jpg]

5. Connect the device to the PC while in EDL Mode (device should be in EDL before connecting to pc). No Port Available should change to Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-5.jpg]

6. Under Select Build Type, tick Flat Build

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-6.jpg]

7. Under Select Programmer, click Browse

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-7.jpg]

8. In the Window that pops up, highlight the loader file (usually named prog_emmc_firehose_****.mbn) and click Open

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-8.jpg]

9. Click Tools > Partition Manager

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...qfil-9.jpg]

10. In the confirm window that pops up, click OK

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...fil-10.jpg]

11. Another Window will automatically pop up, right click on the partition you wish to backup then select Manage Partition Data

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...fil-11.jpg]

12. A new window will pop up, click LoadImage...

[Image: How-to-use-QFIL-to-flash-to-a-single-par...comm-1.jpg]

13. In the new window that pops up, select the file you wish to flash then click Open

[Image: How-to-use-QFIL-to-flash-to-a-single-par...comm-2.jpg]

14. You should get "Finish Send Image" once QFIL has successfully flashed the image onto the said partition. Ensure to scroll up the logs and check for error messages, just to be sure flashing is successful

[Image: How-to-use-QFIL-to-flash-to-a-single-par...comm-3.jpg]

15. Once done, click Close on Partition Manager window

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...fil-14.jpg]

16. A new window will pop up, reminding you that your device will be reset from EDL mode back to homescreen, click OK

[Image: how-to-backup-firmware-from-a-qualcomm-a...fil-15.jpg]

Important notes
  • If you encounter errors while trying to use QFIL standalone, ensure to retry using QFIL within QPST
  • Some Qualcomm firmware do not contain programmer files (prog_emmc_firehose_****.mbn). If you can't find programmer file for your device model, you can (in severe cases) use the programmer file for a Qualcomm phone with the same chipset as yours.  If you get the Sahara Fail error then try a different programmer file for your chipset type
  • If you still have No Port Available after connecting the phone then its either the phone isn't in EDL mode or you've not installed drivers for the phone
  • The exact button combo for booting into EDL mode varies across Qualcomm devices so ensure to run a search around booting your model into EDL
  • This tool is specifically for the Qualcomm chipset, it won't work for devices running other chipset type other than qualcomm
  • QPST is owned by Qualcomm Technologies Incorporated so credits to them for this tool

Video Transcript
Quote:In this video tutorial, i'm going to be showing how to flash a single partition on a qualcomm android phone using QFIL tool, that is qualcomm flash image loader tool
So to do this, of course we will need to have programmer file for our device
you can search online for yours or randomly try programmer file for your chipset type or you can get it from your firmware
you'll need to install qualcomm USB drivers and of course you'll need to install QPST tool
So for the sake of this tutorial, i have here this phone that currently has a custom recovery but i need to flash stock recovery
So as you can see, this is TWRP recovery
So to do this, i shall power off the phone then i'll quickly launch QFIL tool by searching for it
Now i'll need to boot the phone into EDL mode to do this, this particular phone uses vol up + vol down then you connect the phone but for your phone model, you can quickly search online how to boot into edl mode for your phone model
so vol up + vol down then i connect the phone, QFIL will detect the comport
if your does not detect automatically, click select port, select the right port then click OK
Now click flat build, click select programmer file browse then select your programmer file
So next thing we want to do is that we will need to change the storage type, if your device uses a different storage type other than emmc, you might need to come here and change the option for it
So this particular device uses emmc so i'll leave it at emmc
Next we'll click tools, partition manager, click OK
Once partition manager opens it'll list all the partitions on your device
now i have here my stock recovery image
so to write for recovery partition, i'll simply right click on it, manage partition data, load image then i'll select the file and open
Now in order not to get errors while writing a particular file ensure that the file name you're writing has no space in it
spaces usually cause while trying to write
so basically we've written the image, you've seen it, finish send image and there are no errors
we can close now, close, this will attempt to reset the phone back to homescreen
So as you can see, the phone is trying to boot back to homescreen
let me quickly interrupt this process
so here we have stock recovery
so that's how you flash a single partition on a qualcomm android phone using QFIL, that's QFIL tool
This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 03:16 PM by X3non.
moojibel
moojibel
moojibel
04-03-2021, 08:41 AM
If a phone cannot connect to network (signal are both good based on Network Cell Lite apps), and already performed the erasing of modemst1, modemst2 and fsg, and flash QCN afterwards, what partition(s) should be erased and flashed back? Thanks
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
04-03-2021, 10:03 AM
(04-03-2021, 08:41 AM)moojibel If a phone cannot connect to network (signal are both good based on Network Cell Lite apps), and already performed the erasing of modemst1, modemst2 and fsg, and flash QCN afterwards, what partition(s) should be erased and flashed back? Thanks

if the device is able to receive network signals but can't connect mobile data, you should first check the APN on the phone
if you still have problems then create a new thread for your device issue by clicking "ask question" at the top