Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android How can I flash un-formatted (.bin, .img) firmware files?
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

How can I flash un-formatted (.bin, .img) firmware files?

How can I flash un-formatted (.bin, .img) firmware files?

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
19-05-2020, 02:30 PM

I recently flashed (without formatting) a Gionee F100 using SP Flash Tool. After flashing, I noticed that Invalid IMEI appeared on the network names field when I pulled down notification/status bar; network speed had also decreased from 4G to EDGE.

Upon searching up remedies to this issue on Hovatek, I found out troubleshooting steps sometimes involved flashing firmware files that were not having file_name & is_download filled as with boot, recovery, system, etc images in the scatter file -  like nvdata & nvram restored the IMEI, for example.
I'm still having the network issues, nevertheless, and googling didn't give me desired results (probably because I didn't search the right keys).

Anyway, the point of this post being in this section and not the MOBILE PHONES HELP SECTION is because it seemed to me an issue that is related to ROM-flashing generally.

So, what is the file extension/format of these files and which of them should I avoid flashing? Goal here would be to set the file_name in scatter file to  partition_name.<extension> (.bin, .img, or whatever it might be) & is_download to true and finally flashing 'em, eventually regaining the device's full hardware potentials.
.jpg
firmware_files.jpg
Size: 74.74 KB / Downloads: 6

Files include, but are not limited to:
  • expdb
  • frp
  • keystore
  • metadata
  • nvdata
  • nvram
  • oemkeystore
  • para
  • pgpt
  • proinfo
  • protect1
  • protect2
  • seccfg
  • secro
  • trustzone1
  • trustzone2
as it varies with device make and build/variant.
This post was last modified: 19-05-2020, 02:43 PM by Detective_Khalifah.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
19-05-2020, 04:16 PM
(19-05-2020, 02:30 PM)Detective_Khalifah I recently flashed (without formatting) a Gionee F100 using SP Flash Tool. After flashing, I noticed that Invalid IMEI appeared on the network names field when I pulled down notification/status bar; network speed had also decreased from 4G to EDGE.
...as it varies with device make and build/variant.

having file extension in the file names doesn't matter. you can flash them with or without any file extension so long as you set the file name in scatter and is_download to true for the partition

what to avoid flashing will depend on where you got the files from and where you're trying to flash to.
if you got the files from the same phone you're trying to flash to then you can flash everything back
if you got the files from a different phone, you can flash lk, logo, secro, nvram, trustzone, preloader. all depending on what you intend to fix. in your case where you're trying to fix poor network signals and invalid imei, you're to flash nvram and nvdata

PS: the thread has been moved to help section as it has nothing to do with development
This post was last modified: 19-05-2020, 04:20 PM by X3non.
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
19-05-2020, 06:19 PM
(19-05-2020, 04:16 PM)X3non having file extension in the file names doesn't matter. you can flash them with or without any file extension so long as you set the file name in scatter and is_download to true for the partition
All right.
(19-05-2020, 04:16 PM)X3non ...what to avoid flashing will depend on where you got the files from and where you're trying to flash to.
if you got the files from the same phone you're trying to flash to then you can flash everything back
Yes. I got the files from the same phone. I'll flash 'em back now.

(19-05-2020, 04:16 PM)X3non ...
PS: the thread has been moved to help section as it has nothing to do with development

Very well. Thanks.
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
19-05-2020, 09:48 PM
I got into a bootloop after flashing all other files with exception of boot, recovery, system & userdata.
Tried flashing two versions of system.img and neither worked. Had to "format + download"
Lost a lot.
Network still at EDGE. Not even 3G mode is usable.
This post was last modified: 20-05-2020, 05:19 AM by Detective_Khalifah.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
20-05-2020, 11:06 AM

(19-05-2020, 09:48 PM)Detective_Khalifah ...
Network still at EDGE. Not even 3G mode is usable.

did you try flashing only nvram + nvdata?
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
20-05-2020, 12:18 PM
(20-05-2020, 11:06 AM)X3non did you try flashing only nvram + nvdata?

About a week ago, yes. It didn't work out and I decided to flash the rest of the files.
This post was last modified: 20-05-2020, 02:52 PM by Detective_Khalifah.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
20-05-2020, 10:02 PM
(20-05-2020, 12:18 PM)Detective_Khalifah About a week ago, yes. It didn't work out and I decided to flash the rest of the files.

try again, flash nvram + nvdata then boot straight to recovery mode and perform a factory reset
if all is successful, check the imei and network signals
if this doesn't work (i.e imei still isn't written and network isn't detected properly) then it must mean there's something wrong with the backup. you'll need to look for a different device without the network issue to make a fresh backup
you can write imei, see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-116.html
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
20-05-2020, 10:20 PM
(20-05-2020, 10:02 PM)X3non try again, flash nvram + nvdata then boot straight to recovery mode and perform a factory reset
if all is successful, check the imei and network signals
if this doesn't work (i.e imei still isn't written and network isn't detected properly) then it must mean there's something wrong with the backup. you'll need to look for a different device without the network issue to make a fresh backup
you can write imei, see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-116.html

IMEI was recovered after flashing both files last week and still remain. Network signal is the problem.
Supposing I reflash the two images and do a factory reset. Can I restore Nandroid (System & Data partitions)?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
21-05-2020, 10:50 AM
(20-05-2020, 10:20 PM)Detective_Khalifah IMEI was recovered after flashing both files last week and still remain. Network signal is the problem.
Supposing I reflash the two images and do a factory reset. Can I restore Nandroid (System & Data partitions)?

if imei was recovered then signals should too
did you try 3G only network mode?
you can forget about doing a factory reset for now. flash the two images, check that imei is fixed and check for network signals in all network modes ie 2g only, 3g only and 4g only
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
Detective_Khalifah
26-05-2020, 02:58 PM

(21-05-2020, 10:50 AM)X3non if imei was recovered then signals should too
did you try 3G only network mode?
you can forget about doing a factory reset for now. flash the two images, check that imei is fixed and check for network signals in all network modes ie 2g only, 3g only and 4g only
There's no such option in the Setting that allows setting 2G/3G/4G mode exclusively or as auto for either SIM: 
.png
F100 Network Settings.png
Size: 49.46 KB / Downloads: 3

I tried using Mobileuncle Tools' Engineer Mode to Set preferred network type as LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL), but it keeps resettting itself to LTE/GSM auto (PRL): 
.jpg
F100 - Phone Information.jpg
Size: 106.31 KB / Downloads: 3
Pages (2): 1 2 Next