Hovatek Forum MOBILE Others Nokia (Symbian & Java) [Tutorial] How to Flash / Upgrade a Nokia BB5 Phone using Phoenix
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to Flash / Upgrade a Nokia BB5 Phone using Phoenix

[Tutorial] How to Flash / Upgrade a Nokia BB5 Phone using Phoenix

X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
16-05-2015, 05:31 PM

This is a step by step guide on how to flash your Nokia phone or update the firmware. Flashing a phone means re-installing the phone’s firmware, i.e re-installing the operating system of the phone.

If you are trying to update your phone by flashing, then ensure to backup all your important files before proceeding and also take out your SD card before flashing

Why would I want to flash my Nokia Phone?

Your phone’s OS might corrupt due to virus attack causing the phone to be unable to boot completely, the certs might go missing due to virus making the apps unable to open etc. These problems can only be fixed by flashing. You could also update the firmware to a newer version by flashing an updated firmware onto your phone

Requirements

• Download Phoenix Service Suite
  • Download Nokia PC Suite
  • Search online for, download firmware for your nokia device based on the RM-*** product code e.g RM-632
  • A working USB cable
  • Properly charged battery

How to Flash / Upgrade Nokia BB5 Phones (Java & Symbian ONLY)

The steps below explain how to flash / upgrade a Nokia BB5 Phone (Java & Symbian Phones ONLY)

1. Install Nokia PC Suite
  2. Install Phoenix
  3. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Phoenix\Products
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-1.png]

4. Create a folder inside the directory above and rename the folder to your phone's product type. E.G Nokia X2-00 should be renamed as RM-618
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-2.png]

5. Extract the contents of the compressed firmware file into the newly created folder. use the picture below as reference
    [Image: How-to-Flash-Nokia-Devices-Java-Symbian-ONLY-0.png]

6. Start Phoenix
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-3.png]

7. Switch off your phone and ensure the battery is inserted then connect your phone to the PC using USB Cable
  8. Click File > Open Product. 
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-4.png]

9. Select your RM code from the window that appears. Then click OK
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-5.png]

10. Click Connections > Select "No Connection"
  11. Click on the Flashing tab > select Firmware Update.
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-6.png]

12. A new window should open
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-7.png]

13. Check the option “Dead Phone USB Flashing”
  14. Click the box with three dots besides Product Code and Select your phone's firmware from the windows that appears then Click OK
  15. Click Refurbish and the flashing process should start.
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-8.png]

16. The process might be halted and you would be asked to remove battery etc. simply follow all the processes as seen on your PC screen
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-10.png]

17. Your phone should automatically startup when the flashing is successful
    [Image: HOW-TO-FLASH-NOKIA-DEVICES-JAVA-SYMBIAN-ONLY-9.png]

18.   Once completed successfully, you can safely disconnect your USB cord from the phone

Important Notice
  • Only flash firmwares for your phone model and product code
  • Do not interrupt the flashing process as it could lead to a dead phone
  • If for some unknown reasons this method doesn't work, you can try flashing using infinity Best
  • Always try to properly search for the latest firmware before downloading / flashing. Using a firmware below the current firmware on the phone would result in a partially bricked phone (this is because phoenix does not support downgrading)
This post was last modified: 04-10-2019, 11:29 PM by X3non.
Attached Files
.png
1.PNG
Size: 83.63 KB / Downloads: 424
Harlascoh
Harlascoh
Harlascoh
27-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Pls how can I know d actual Nokia firmware to download for Nokia C2-00 V03.99 RM-704
kefah
kefah
kefah
02-09-2015, 04:55 PM
thank u
that was useful
Kingsident
Kingsident
Kingsident
Techie Member
16-11-2016, 12:24 PM
(16-05-2015, 05:31 PM)X3non I’ll be explaining how to flash your Nokia phone or update the firmware. Flashing a phone means re-installing the phone’s firmware, i.e re-installing the operating system of the phone. When a phone’s OS is corrupt due to virus attack, incompatible applications etc, flashing might be the only solution when restoring factory settings doesn’t work. Flashing a phone can also be used to update the firmware to a newer version, revive a dead phone, etc.

i did all that but at the final process where i have to click on ok after pulling the battery and reinserting it, the pc shows a blue screen saying it ran into a problem and the pc will restart. I've tried on two different pc's, same story. Used a different variant of the flash files for nokia 300, same story still. Is there something i'm doing wrong?
This post was last modified: 29-05-2018, 11:05 PM by X3non.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
17-11-2016, 08:17 AM

(16-11-2016, 12:24 PM)Kingsident i did all that but at the final process where i have to click on ok after pulling the battery and reinserting it, the pc shows a blue screen saying it ran into a problem and the pc will restart. I've tried on two different pc's, same story. Used a different variant of the flash files for nokia 300, same story still. Is there something i'm doing wrong?

sounds like BSOD
are there any missing drivers on either of these two PCs?
BTW you can try flashing using infinity best guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-14299.html
5diamond
5diamond
5diamond
Techie Member
29-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Does it required a box
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
29-04-2017, 02:07 PM
(29-04-2017, 01:08 PM)5diamond Does it required a box

no it doesnt
summermtk
summermtk
summermtk
Enthusiastic Member
17-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Greetings, this phoenix doesn't have RM-899 (Nokia 501s). Please help!
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
17-02-2019, 10:33 PM
(17-02-2019, 09:01 AM)summermtk Greetings, this phoenix doesn't have RM-899 (Nokia 501s). Please help!

Use other product name and rename the folder name in product folder to match the product name you've chosen.
hegemon5656
hegemon5656
hegemon5656
03-06-2023, 10:51 AM

Hello, I would really appreciate some help. I've successfully installed the Phoenix software, but I'm having trouble finding the latest firmware for Nokia 6230i that contains all files and has Bulgarian language.

I've tried to "stitch up" 2-3 downloaded firmware, but I'm ending up with error message after step 15:

Licenses count retrieving failed
HRESULT 0x84212008(-2078203896)

Firmware: This function cannot be used with this type of Programming Device
Licenses count determining failed;AmsFlashFN=0x84212008