Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Modifying Android Rom to change Brand Name
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Modifying Android Rom to change Brand Name

Modifying Android Rom to change Brand Name

mantisman101
mantisman101
mantisman101
06-01-2021, 02:17 AM

Hi hope you guys are all well. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have an Android 10 MediaTek phone with a super.img

I have unpacked and repacked without changing anything and then flashed with Sp-Flash-Tools. It boots up fine and works as it should.

I can change things like the bootscreen animation, the locale in build.prop and it will boot up fine. However if change ro.product.brand or model it will boot loop. I know there is a build.prop in the vendor.img and I have changed that file to reflect the change in model name. However once I repack and flash it will bootloop.

I have used a Hex editor to change the Tee-Verified.img to reflect the change in brand name. However it still will not boot.

There must be a check happening somewhere else where it cross references the brand and model name. Where could this be, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
maxpayne
maxpayne
maxpayne
Contributor
08-01-2021, 12:18 PM
(06-01-2021, 02:17 AM)mantisman101 Hi hope you guys are all well. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have an Android 10 MediaTek phone with a super.img

I have unpacked and repacked without changing anything and then flashed with Sp-Flash-Tools. It boots up fine and works as it should.

I can change things like the bootscreen animation, the locale in build.prop and it will boot up fine. However if change ro.product.brand or model it will boot loop. I know there is a build.prop in the vendor.img and I have changed that file to reflect the change in model name. However once I repack and flash it will bootloop.

I have used a Hex editor to change the Tee-Verified.img to reflect the change in brand name. However it still will not boot.

There must be a check happening somewhere else where it cross references the brand and model name. Where could this be, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Try this
  1. You need to have Magisk for root access
  2. Install BusyBox and "MagiskHide Props Config" Magisk module and reboot the phone
  3. Install the below terminal or any of your choice https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ndroidterm
  4. Open the terminal and type props to open MagiskHide Props Config and select option 5 to add/edit custom props values
  5. ro.product.model and ro.product.brand values need to be changed to the desired phone model
  6. Go back to the main menu and select option 3 to enable Device simulation for the values added in step 5 and then reboot the phone

You might also want to edit brand and model name across the whole build.prop
This post was last modified: 08-01-2021, 12:26 PM by maxpayne.
mantisman101
mantisman101
mantisman101
15-01-2021, 06:53 PM
I can confirm your solution does work, but unfortunately will not survive a factory reset.

What is the OEM doing in the firmware that it checks the model name, somewhere there is a cross reference made. I can change pretty much everything. However as soon as I change ro.product.model it will not start.

Does anyone know what mechanism they are using to do this? This seems to be the way these OEMs are locking all firmwares now to stop people changing them.

I have Magisk patched and as far as I know the DMverity flag was disabled in the boot, I flashed the new boot and with normal stock firmware it boots fine. However on my modified firmware where the ro.product.model has been changed it does not boot.