Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] How to flash preloader when STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN is encountered
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] How to flash preloader when STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN is encountered

[Please help] How to flash preloader when STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN is encountered

Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Enthusiastic Member
20-05-2021, 05:32 PM

I was following a tutorial to unlock the bootloader of my Meizu M5 Note (M1621).
Before flashing (downloading), I made a full backup using SP Flash Tool.

But then something went wrong, so I wanted to restore the full image that I backed up previously.
But when I tried to download, I encountered this error: STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN (0xc0020004)

I found out that if I try to download the preloader or secro partition, it will fail as the STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN error.
Then I read back the preloader and secro partition, and compare them to what I backed up previously.
The secro partition was the same, so I don't need to flash it back.
But the preloader partition was changed. I still need to flash it back to restore my phone.

I would never expect backing up the preloader doesn't mean you can restore it.
Please help!
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
21-05-2021, 11:25 AM
(20-05-2021, 05:32 PM)Ga Gu I was following a tutorial to unlock the bootloader of my Meizu M5 Note (M1621).
Before flashing (downloading), I made a full backup using SP Flash Tool.

But then something went wrong, so I wanted to restore the full image that I backed up previously.
But when I tried to download, I encountered this error: STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN (0xc0020004)

...STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN...

try the fixes listed for this error @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-439.html
This post was last modified: 21-05-2021, 11:27 AM by X3non.
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Enthusiastic Member
21-05-2021, 02:36 PM
(21-05-2021, 11:25 AM)X3non try the fixes listed for this error @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-439.html
I had read that error code list before I started this thread. I forgot to mention.
But I'm still not sure what to do next.

There are 3 solutions offered as shown below:

Quote:Message: ERROR: STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN (0xC0020004)
Meaning: You aren't allowed to flash to the partition in question
Solution:
  1. Your model might require a compatible preloader.bin always loaded for backup / flash operations
  2. Ensure the file you're trying to flash is factory signed / official
  3. Try both Write memory and Download tabs in SP flash tool
The first 2 solutions probably won't work, because the preloader I was using was from my previous backup, which should certainly be compatible and official.

I don't quite understand what the 3rd solution means.
It tells me to try Download tab, but I've always been using the Download tab to download images.
And how does "Write memory" work? Could you provide me a link to a tutorial if you have one? It would save me a lot of time.

Thanks!
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
22-05-2021, 11:31 AM
(21-05-2021, 02:36 PM)Ga Gu The first 2 solutions probably won't work, because the preloader I was using was from my previous backup, which should certainly be compatible and official.

you might find that a backup can be different from factory firmware

(21-05-2021, 02:36 PM)Ga Gu I don't quite understand what the 3rd solution means.
It tells me to try Download tab, but I've always been using the Download tab to download images.
And how does "Write memory" work? Could you provide me a link to a tutorial if you have one? It would save me a lot of time.

To activate write memory tab, press 'Ctrl + Alt + V' to enabled advanced mode then click Window > Write Memory

file path : select your preloader file (if you still have rom_0 dump you can try it here in place of preloader.bin)
begin address : 0x0
region : emmc_boot1
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
24-05-2021, 12:41 PM

(21-05-2021, 02:36 PM)Ga Gu The first 2 solutions probably won't work, because the preloader I was using was from my previous backup, which should certainly be compatible and official.

I don't quite understand what the 3rd solution means.

Thanks!

Have you tried using the preloader from the factory firmware?

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Enthusiastic Member
24-05-2021, 04:45 PM
(24-05-2021, 12:41 PM)hovatek Have you tried using the preloader from the factory firmware?
Thanks for the respond.
The preloader file was exactly the same as the one in the factory firmware.

(22-05-2021, 11:31 AM)X3non To activate write memory tab, press 'Ctrl + Alt + V' to enabled advanced mode then click Window > Write Memory

file path : select your preloader file (if you still have rom_0 dump you can try it here in place of preloader.bin)
begin address : 0x0
region : emmc_boot1

Thanks for the info!
It turned out the preloader partition wasn't changed at all. I made a mistake when doing comparison.
In fact, I have successfully restored my phone now, details described in this post.

I want to know is it safe to use the write memory function? Is there any difference in choosing DRAM or SRAM? If I choose wrong, will it write data to the wrong place and damage the phone?
Since I have restored my phone now, I don't want to take any unnecessary risk.
This post was last modified: 24-05-2021, 04:50 PM by Ga Gu.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
25-05-2021, 11:15 AM
(24-05-2021, 04:45 PM)Ga Gu ...
I want to know is it safe to use the write memory function?

so long as you insert the correct details in the input boxes

(24-05-2021, 04:45 PM)Ga Gu Is there any difference in choosing DRAM or SRAM?

leave this option untouched

(24-05-2021, 04:45 PM)Ga Gu If I choose wrong, will it write data to the wrong place and damage the phone?
Since I have restored my phone now, I don't want to take any unnecessary risk.

if you write data to the wrong section, you can always flash back the right files