Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to install Mediatek USB VCOM drivers in Windows
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Tutorial] How to install Mediatek USB VCOM drivers in Windows

[Tutorial] How to install Mediatek USB VCOM drivers in Windows

Pages (18): 1 2 3 4 518 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
03-08-2014, 01:13 PM

This step-by-step guide will explain how to manually install MTxxxx MediaTek USB VCOM drivers on a Windows PC. This procedure is universal so it'll work for all Mediatek devices whether Smartphone, Tablet, Smartwatch, GPS etc and works for Windows 7, 8, 10 and 11 PCs.

Why do I need to manually install Mediatek USB VCOM drivers?

First off, you need to install VCOM drivers to enable Mediatek Flash Tools to detect your device. We already listed an auto Mediatek USB VCOM signed drivers installer which is not only easier but doesn't require Windows 8 and above users to disable drivers signature verification.

In a case where your Mediatek (MTK) drivers are unsigned or raw setup information .inf files (instead of .exe installers), you'll need to manually install the driver(s) in Device Manager. There are also cases where whatever the device gets detected as needs to be manually updated under Device Manager (to enable detection). That is where this tutorial comes in.

Requirements

Steps to manually install Mediatek (MTK) VCOM drivers on a Windows PC

The procedure below will explain how to manually install MediaTek USB VCOM drivers on your Windows PC

See the video tutorial below or @ http://youtu.be/sADkzyI8Z5Q

1. Extract the contents of the Mediatek USB VCOM zip file above

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-1.webp]

2. In Windows, go to Control Panel and open Device Manager

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-2.webp]

3. Click any of the device groups (any of the items on the list) you see there, then from the Action menu at the top, select Add Legacy hardware

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-3.webp]

4. The Add Hardware wizard will be launched, click Next

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-4.webp]

5. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and click Next

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-5.webp]

6. Click Next

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-6.webp]

7. Click Have Disk...

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-7.webp]

8. Click Browse... and locate your driver's .inf file then select it (the .inf you're to select is located in drivers > USB Vcom driver > Win7). Ensure to select the 64-bit .inf if your PC is 64-bit and the other if your PC is a 32-bit PC

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-8.webp]

9. Click Open and OK. You will see the drivers listed

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...bit-9.webp]

10. Select your driver there (select Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Port)  then Click Next

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...it-10.webp]

11. Click Next

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...it-11.webp]

12. Click Finish. Ignore the Code 10 error. You're getting it because you have installed an unsigned driver

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...it-12.webp]

13. Your drivers should now appear on the list. Ignore the yellow warning triangle. You're getting it because you have installed an unsigned driver

[Image: Mediatek-driver-install-windows-7-8-10-1...it-13.webp]

Important Notice
  • If you're using Windows 8 and above then install the Windows 7 drivers (from Win7 folder)
  • You might run into a driver clash whereby Mediatek Flash Tools still won't detect your device despite having installed several Mediatek drivers. In such a case, uninstall all Mediatek drivers using USB Deview then re-install VCOM drivers
  • If you get the code 10 error or yellow warning triangle in the device manager after the installation, simply ignore it and proceed with flashing. You're only getting that error because the driver is not digitally signed
  • On some devices, you might experience a connection-disconnection sound while attempting to flash. This is sometimes due to an old or outdated driver. In such a situation, you need to update the phone's VCOM drivers
  • Drivers are Windows OS-specific so ensure to install the 64-bit version (x64) if yours is a 64-bit and the 32-bit version (x86) if yours is 32-bit
  • You only need to disable driver signature verification when installing unsigned drivers

Video Transcript
Quote:In this tutorial, I'll be explaining how to manually install VCOM drivers on a Windows PC. Now, VCOM driver is very
important especially when you want to see SP flash tool because without your VCOM drivers, you can't use SP flash. You'll usually notice that when you try flashing a file or doing a readback using SP flash tool without VCOM drivers, once you switch off your phone and connect it to the PC, all you'll see is the phone charging.

That means you don't have VCOM drivers. So in this guide, I'll be explaining how to install VCOM drivers manually to enable your phone and SP Flash tool communicate effectively. Now, if you're using a Windows 8 (or 10) PC you'll want to disable signature verification. I will not be going into that here but just go to our forum, search for how to disable signature verification on Windows 8 before you can install your VCOM drivers. So, the first thing you'll want to do is to open Device Manager so I'll search for Device Manager. Alright!

In device manager, what you'll want to do is click any of these items then click on Action then Add legacy hardware. Click on Next, you select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list that is advanced, Click Next, here you just go ahead and click Next. Here you click Have Disk. Now, in this box, you click on Browse then you go to the VCOM folder here. Now, its basically the same method when you are trying to manually install a driver. All you have to do is locate the .inf file for that driver you're trying to install but in this case, what we are treating is VCOM driver.

If I was treating another driver, all I have to do is go through the entire driver folder, look for a .INF file and wherever I see that .INF file which is the setup information file, I just select it in this window here but in this case, we are installing a VCOM driver so I know where my .inf file is for the VCOM, I know the location for the VCOM .INF file so I just go straight to it.

Now, in this case it's in the Mediatek folder, Drivers, USB VCOM driver. I'm using a Windows 8 so I'll want to use the Windows 7 (.inf). Ensure you select the correct one for your OS here. I'll select the Windows 7. Now, I'm using a 64-bit PC so I select the one for 64. If you're using a 32, you select 32 and click Open then OK. Now, you'll want to select Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Port in this step and then you click Next and then Next.

Wait for the driver to finish installing and click Finish
This post was last modified: 09-11-2023, 01:55 PM by hovatek.
Attached Files
.zip
usbdeview-x86.zip
Size: 78.29 KB / Downloads: 31,644
.zip
usbdeview-x64.zip
Size: 105.64 KB / Downloads: 53,394

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Cornel
Cornel
Cornel
16-08-2014, 09:05 PM
were do I click to download the driver, the link just listed the drivers and their size but I don't see any tin like download.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
16-08-2014, 09:45 PM
(16-08-2014, 09:05 PM)Cornel were do I click to download the driver, the link just listed the drivers and their size but I don't see any tin like download.

Try the link in the guide. you're trying a wrong link

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Cornel
Cornel
Cornel
17-08-2014, 07:45 AM
pls can u send it to my gmail account bcos I have trid it several tyms enen wit ucweb. samuel419.sc@gmail.com
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
17-08-2014, 09:54 AM

(17-08-2014, 07:45 AM)Cornel pls can u send it to my gmail account bcos I have trid it several tyms enen wit ucweb. samuel419.sc@gmail.com

Updated. Try the link again. password when extracting is Hovatek

Note!
Cornel
Cornel
Cornel
18-08-2014, 09:25 PM
tanx a lot the m3 is now ok
Slimzzy
Slimzzy
Slimzzy
10-09-2014, 09:26 PM
(03-08-2014, 01:13 PM)hovatek 1. Download MediaTek USB VCOM drivers @ https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9srKhK...sp=sharing
1b. Extract the contents of the file above ( The Password when extracting is Hovatek )
2. In Windows, go to Control Panel and open Device Manager
3. Click any of the device groups you see there From Action menu, select Add legacy hardware
4. Add hardware wizard will be opened, click next
5. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)
6. Click next two times and click Have Disk button
7. Click browse and find where your driver's .inf file is, then select it (the .inf you'll select is located in drivers > USB Vcom driver > your OS) . Ensure to select the 64 bit .inf if your PC is 64 bit
8. Click Open and OK. You will see the drivers listed.
9. Select your driver there (select Mediatek preloader usb vcom port)
10. Click Next and finish installing.

PHONE STILL NOT RECOGNISED AFTER PROCESS. . . .I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ERROR CODES IN PROPERTIES@attachment. .
This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 09:49 PM by Slimzzy. Edit Reason: correcting
Attached Files
.png
Capture2.PNG
Size: 69.75 KB / Downloads: 1,148
.png
Capture3.PNG
Size: 31.46 KB / Downloads: 1,133
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
10-09-2014, 10:19 PM
(10-09-2014, 09:26 PM)Slimzzy PHONE STILL NOT RECOGNISED AFTER PROCESS. . . .I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ERROR CODES IN PROPERTIES@attachment. .

if you'd downloaded it from our link then that shouldn't be a problem. it worked fine for others. you still haven't mentioned the error code
This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 10:20 PM by hovatek.

Note!
Slimzzy
Slimzzy
Slimzzy
11-09-2014, 12:14 AM
(10-09-2014, 10:19 PM)hovatek
(10-09-2014, 09:26 PM)Slimzzy PHONE STILL NOT RECOGNISED AFTER PROCESS. . . .I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ERROR CODES IN PROPERTIES@attachment. .

if you'd downloaded it from our link then that shouldn't be a problem. it worked fine for others. you still haven't mentioned the error code

LUK AT THE IMAGE IN MA POST. .I TOOK A SCREENSHOT TO EXPLAIN BETTER.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
11-09-2014, 10:53 AM

(11-09-2014, 12:14 AM)Slimzzy LUK AT THE IMAGE IN MA POST. .I TOOK A SCREENSHOT TO EXPLAIN BETTER.

What OS is your PC running on? and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Note!
Pages (18): 1 2 3 4 518 Next