Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to setup ADB and Fastboot
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to setup ADB and Fastboot

[Tutorial] How to setup ADB and Fastboot

Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
11-09-2014, 12:45 PM

This tutorial will explain how to install ADB, Fastboot and corresponding drivers. ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, while Fastboot stands for Fastboot. They're two important tools for executing commands on your Android phone.

Method 1: Manual Method (Recommended)

Requirements

Follow the steps below to manually setup ADB & fastboot on your PC

See the video tutorial below or @ https://youtu.be/qqebpb7GSvU

1. Extract the contents of the google-platform-tools zip zip file
  2. Extract the contents of the Google USB drivers then manually install the Android ADB Interface drivers using the guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-16648.html
  3. Repeat the same manual driver installation procedure for Android Bootloader Interface & Android Composite ADB Interface
  4. Once done with installing drivers, you can launch ADB by opening a command prompt window from the google-platform-tools folder (Hold the Shift key then right-click in the folder > choose Open command window here)

Method 2: Installer Method

Requirements

Follow the steps below to set up ADB & fastboot on your PC

See the video tutorial below or @ http://youtu.be/Fp-D1Mg0HWg

1. Extract and run the ADB installer as administrator 

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-1.webp]

2. Do you want to install ADB and Fastboot? tap the Y key then press Enter

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-2.webp]

3. Install ADB system-wide? tap the Y key then press Enter

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-3.webp]

4. Wait till it completes

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-4.webp]

5. For Do you want to install device drivers, tap the Y key then press Enter

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-5.webp]

6. In the installer Wizard that pops up, click Next

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-6.webp]

7. Click Finish when done

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-7.webp]

8. Go to My Computer / Local Disk ( C: ), you should see a folder named adb

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-8.webp]

9. Extract the contents of google-platform-tools.zip into the C:\adb folder and replace any existing files (this will update ADB and fastboot binaries so you don't have problems detecting your device later on)

10. To run ADB or Fastboot, open the ADB folder

11. Hold down the SHIFT key on the keyboard

12. While holding SHIFT, right-click on an empty space in the ADB folder 

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-9.webp]

13. Select Open command window here

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-10.webp]

14. You're good to go

[Image: how-to-install-adb-fastboot-and-drivers-11.webp]

Important Notice
    • If fastboot isn't detecting the device then follow this guide on fixing fastboot detection problems
    • If after following this guide, ADB or Fastboot still isn't detecting your device then it might be due to an ADB Clash or old ADB / Fastboot versions
    • If your device is a Spreadtrum (SPD) device then ensure to follow this guide to get ADB to properly detect your phone
    • If you get missing DLL error while trying to run ADB & fastboot, then download and install java runtime @ https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies...loads.html then copy all DLL files from the java's bin folder ie C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.x.x_xxx\bin into the C:\windows\system32 folder
    • While trying to launch the command prompt interface in Windows 10, you might end up in Power Shell. Just ensure you navigate to the ADB folder then run your commands normally
    • The tools found in the download are provided by Google, found in and extracted from Android SDK
    • If you encounter $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set, go to C:\Users\*YOUR_USER* . You should find a .android folder. Open it, delete its contents, run
      Code:

adb kill-server
      then
      Code:

adb devices

Video Transcript
    Quote:In this tutorial, I'll be explaining how to setup or install ADB and Fastboot including their drivers I won't get down to breaking down what ADB & Fastboot are for but basically, they're command line tools which are very useful when you want to tweak or modify anything on an Android phone. Just look up what they're for. What we'll be needing for this is just the installer although there's a manual method you could use but to make it easier for you to setup, I'll be using an installer method. First download the setup installer [link in description].

Run as Administrator in case you run into some privilege issues. Alright! I click Yes Here's the setup. For this part, it says Do you want to install adb and fastboot. I Tap the y key and Enter Next option is install adb system-wise [car horn] i.e do you want to install adb for all users or a particular which is going to be C:\users\user-name. I want to install it system-wide i.e anybody can access adb So I leave it as Yes (y) here and tap Enter. I'll just give it time to install. Now, its done installing as you can see Its asking me do you want to install device drivers.

These drivers are your Android USB drivers which is going to help your PC communicate with your phone when connected via USB cord. Of course you would want to install these drivers so I just select y (Yes) here and tap Enter. A wizard pops up. click Next - Finish and you're done. I want to be sure my adb is all set up so what you do is go to the C: You can see the adb folder, open it. Now, to launch adb, if you double-click this, all you'll get is this which is what most people do. You're not supposed to double-click. This is not how you run adb or fastboot

To run it what you'll need to do is look at your keyboard (laptop or desktop PC), you hold down the Shift button While holding down your Shift button, you right-click on.. you need to unselect if highlighting any item like this (else) it going to give you an issue. Click on any empty space here (to unhighlight) While holding down Shift, your right-click. You can release your Shift at this point. From the menu here, you just click Open command window here. You'll have your command line interface.

I have my phone connected to the PC [reconnecting] to test that my adb is working, I just type adb devices and I press Enter. My device is detected so that means my adb is all set up. I could go ahead to test fastboot so I boot into fastboot with my phone connected with adb reboot-bootloader and press Enter to enter fastboot Once the phone is in fastboot, I am good to go on my commands. What I have on my phone is fastboot mode.. with a blanks screen. I'll run a fastboot command to be sure my fastboot is also working.I'll say fastboot devices

Alright! My device is detected. That's how to setup ADB & fastboot on your Windows PC
This post was last modified: 20-03-2024, 07:58 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
mboy13
mboy13
mboy13
28-01-2015, 12:13 PM
i reali dnt understand dis tut. I dnt even knw wher d adb folder is. Cnt find it. Nd i as get an erro while tryin to install adb
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
28-01-2015, 12:20 PM
(28-01-2015, 12:13 PM)mboy13 i reali dnt understand dis tut. I dnt even knw wher d adb folder is. Cnt find it. Nd i as get an erro while tryin to install adb

ok. Check the Tecno N3 thread  you created, we've given you an easier alternative

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
tescoint
tescoint
tescoint
16-06-2015, 10:12 PM
hello, please my pc is not detecting my phone Itel It1500
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
17-06-2015, 11:48 AM

(16-06-2015, 10:12 PM)tescoint hello, please my pc is not detecting my phone Itel It1500

create a new thread so we focus on this

see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

Note!
gracetriumph2008
gracetriumph2008
gracetriumph2008
Techie Member
18-08-2015, 01:26 PM
My tecno N9 is giving me the message "Unfortunately, SalesTrackerSystem has stopped." The message doesn't leave the screen..
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
18-08-2015, 05:44 PM
(18-08-2015, 01:26 PM)gracetriumph2008 My tecno N9 is giving me the message "Unfortunately, SalesTrackerSystem has stopped." The message doesn't leave the screen..

create a new thread

see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

Note!
Praize
Praize
Praize
Enthusiastic Member
24-09-2015, 08:27 AM
I followed all d steps in the above screenshot... buh I expected my Pc 2 display its final result like that of this tutorial...but it only displayed c:\adb>...{is thr something I shd do again?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
24-09-2015, 02:38 PM
(24-09-2015, 08:27 AM)Praize I followed all d steps in the above screenshot... buh I expected my Pc 2 display its final result like that of this tutorial...but it only displayed c:\adb>...{is thr something I shd do again?

i dont understand. let me see a screenshot

Note!
Isabab
Isabab
Isabab
13-01-2016, 01:48 PM

how to locate adb folder on local disk c.my system is not display it
Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next