Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to increase internal storage using ebrtweak
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to increase internal storage using ebrtweak

[Tutorial] How to increase internal storage using ebrtweak

Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
16-10-2014, 06:44 PM

This guide will explain how to expand an Android phone's internal storage using Ebr Tweak. It will come in handy when you run out of phone storage space a lot.

What are EBR files and why do I need to modify them

Modifying your ebr in a mediatek device is easy and straight forward. Ebr files store your storage partition in your mediatek device. Ebr separates the internal storage where applications are installed and the usb storage for other files like user data, music, documents, etc.
To extract EBR files, make an MTK Droid tools backup of the phone or extract from the phone's firmware

Where is Ebr found?

Ebr files are found in a stock backup rom using droidtools. It is usually found under your backup folder. Something like mtkdroidtools\backup\device name\ifiles_folder or in your phone's stock ROM / firmware.

Steps to increase Android phone storage by tweaking EBR

Ebr can be modified by a file called ebrtweak. To do this:

See the video tutorial below or @ http://youtu.be/k5UspcUtCLE

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-1.jpg]

How to expand internal storage using EBR tweak

1. It is advisable not to go above 4gb as it is usually unstable to do that. It is used to modify our ebr files 1 and 2
  2. Download EBRtweak @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=445
  3.  Copy your ebr from your mtkdroidtools\backup\device name\ifiles_folder or the firmware
  4. Paste it in the same folder as your ebrtweak 

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-2.jpg]

5. Run Ebrtweak by double-clicking

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-3.jpg]

6. Type the option for the storage size you wish to increase to then tap Y to confirm your choice

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-4.jpg]

7. You should get a success message. Tap any key to exit

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-5.jpg]

8. The ebrtweak folder should now contain extra files, the ones with .bak are your original (unmodified) ebr files. What you need to copy now are are newly created EBR 1 & 2

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-6.jpg]

9. Copy the new EBR 1&2 files into the same folder as your scatter file(s)

[Image: Hovatek-How-to-increase-Mediatek-interna...weak-7.jpg]

10. Flash the modified EBR files using SP flash tool . Make sure only two boxes with ebr1 and ebr2 are ticked and you select Download only.

11. Click download and connect your device powered off

12. You will see download ok. Power on your device and see your new internal storage partition has increased.

Important Notice
  • This guide will only work on old Mediatek chips that use EBR 1 & 2
  • What you're doing is reducing one storage partition and adding to another. Its however important you don't cut out too much else the device could become unstable (hang / crash a lot) or get bricked
  • You best use only EBR files for your phone model, using another device's EBR could brick the device
  • Its recommended you backup your phone's firmware before flashing modified EBR files so you can easily revert should the process brick your phone
This post was last modified: 26-05-2018, 08:33 PM by hovatek. Edit Reason: added tag and video

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-12-2014, 05:13 PM
If you keep getting Error: EBR file not found or file size mismatch! then download this EBRtweak and ensure the two EBR files are placed in the same directory as EBRtweak then retry
Attached Files
.zip
EBRtweak.zip
Size: 5.05 KB / Downloads: 1,785

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
Ogeno
Ogeno
Ogeno
Enthusiastic Member
05-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanx a lot team, it worked lyk a charm...
Omegaohms
Omegaohms
Omegaohms
Respected Member
05-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Will it work on tecno d5

Sent from my GT-I9515 using Hovatek mobile
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
05-03-2015, 10:03 PM

(05-03-2015, 06:40 PM)Omegaohms Will it work on tecno d5

Sent from my GT-I9515 using Hovatek mobile

needs to have two EBR files in the mtk backup so i doubt

Note!
MACROsoft
MACROsoft
MACROsoft
Experienced Member
12-04-2015, 07:29 PM
I downloaded this tutorial from youtube & followed all the procedures given,it worked well.but m now in the sp flash tool.this is where I find difficult as this's my first time of using the tool.I followed the procedures also,after clicking on scatter loading I bring my scatter file. Turned of my phone & I click the download button,I m not getting any prompt as described in the tutorial.I have waited for long now m not also getting the download OK as described in thy tutorial also.
Plz guy do think I have done anything wrong with the process? Plz help me out m willing 2 learn these sturves from u guyz.thanks as u help. I really need 2 increase my techno n9 internal storage space.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
12-04-2015, 08:00 PM
(12-04-2015, 07:29 PM)Mr v I downloaded this tutorial from youtube & followed all the procedures given,it worked well.but m now in the sp flash tool.this is where I find difficult as this's my first time of using the tool.I followed the procedures also,after clicking on scatter loading I bring my scatter file. Turned of my phone &  I click the download button,I m not getting any prompt as described in the tutorial.I have waited for long now m not also getting the download OK as described in thy tutorial also.
Plz guy do think I have done anything wrong with the process? Plz help me out m willing 2 learn these sturves from u guyz.thanks as u help. I really need 2 increase my techno n9 internal storage space.

for sp flash tool to work, you need to first install vcom drivers using https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-440.html

Note!
MACROsoft
MACROsoft
MACROsoft
Experienced Member
13-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Good morning admin.on sp flash tool my device is been detected as mt6589.so m not sure detecting is the problem.sp flash tool just seems to hang after clicking the download button.with a stop button on green beside the download.which is clickable.but eeverything inside the box is not clickable.m just confused.don't know if m making any sense though
joyeous
joyeous
joyeous
13-04-2015, 08:53 AM
I can only see ebr1 in my mtk backup. My phone is tecno f5, what should i du?
MACROsoft
MACROsoft
MACROsoft
Experienced Member
13-04-2015, 09:25 AM

It eventually worked out after working around it for some couple of minutes.After flashing the ebr I rebooted my fine and found out I lost the USB storage (default storage space) for all files.I thought for a while & booted to recovery, cleared the dalvic cache,wiped data/factory reset & I rebooted.behold my USB storage was there....... If anyone should encounter such just follow it as I did.we're all learners. Admin thnx a lot.....
Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next