Hovatek Forum DESKTOP Windows [Tutorial] How to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows

[Tutorial] How to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
26-10-2014, 11:28 PM

This guide will explain how to disable driver signature verification on a Windows PC. Starting from Windows 7 (especially 8 and above), Windows - by default - allows you to install only digitally signed drivers. Attempts to install unsigned drivers are blocked/denied with a Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software error but this doesn't necessarily mean that unsigned are bad. In a situation where you need to manually install unsigned drivers using setup information (.inf) or via executable installer then you would need to disable Windows driver signature enforcement.

Steps to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8, 8.1, 10 & 11

See the video tutorial below or @ http://youtu.be/RRqXKdqJkzI

1. In Windows, go to PC settings (you can search for it in Start Menu).
  2. Click on "Update & Recovery" or "Update & Security".
  3. Click on “Recovery” on the left side.
  4. Click the "Restart Now" button under Advanced Startup.
  5. Another approach is to press the Windows button/Start Menu > Click Power (power icon) > Hold down the Shift key and then click Restart (you can release once the PC reboots)
  6. The PC will reboot into a screen with a blueish background
  7. Click on Troubleshoot
  8. Click on Advanced setup
  9. Click on Startup Settings
  10. Click on Restart
  11. After restarting, choose Disable driver signature enforcement from the list by pressing key 7 on your Keyboard Your computer will restart automatically.
  12. After restarting, you will be able to Install unsigned drivers normally; however, Windows will display a warning message. When the warning appears, click Install this driver software anyway.

[Image: Windows-Driver-Verification.webp]

Steps to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 7

1. Hit the Win+R keys together to open the run dialogue
  2. Type gpedit.msc to open the local groups policy
    editor
  3. Expand ‘Administrative Templates’ (it’s under ‘User Configuration’)
  4. Expand ‘System’. Click ‘driver Installation’
  5. In the right panel, double click on ‘Code Signing for Device Drivers’
  6. Choose ‘Enabled’ in the window that appears.
  7. In the underlying options, choose ‘Ignore’
  8. This disables drivers signing in Windows 7, and now you can install unsigned drivers in Windows 7.
  9. Click Apply, OK. Restart your computer to install
    unsigned drivers

Important Notice
  • You only need to disable signature enforcement when installing unsigned drivers.
  • You might get a code 10 error after installing an unsigned driver. This is nothing to worry about and doesn't necessarily mean the driver won't work
  • Doing the above only allows you to install unsigned drivers. It's not a go-ahead to install clearly incompatible drivers
  • Ensure to install only compatible drivers to avoid running into problems on the PC

Video Transcript
Quote:In this video tutorial, I'll be explaining how to disable signature verification on a Windows 8. When you're about to manually install a USB driver or any kind of driver whatsoever on a Windows PC, Windows would of course want to know if that driver is signed. Now, if the driver is not signed, Windows 7 could still allow you to proceed with the installation but for Windows 8 (or 10), it's a no-no if it's not signed there's no installation whatsoever that's going to be allowed so an option you have is to disable signature verification check on your Windows 8 PC.

As for the technique on how to manually install a driver you can check any of the previous videos I uploaded or you can visit our website to search for the article that explains how to manually install a drive on your Windows PC but I'll not be explaining that. This is just about disabling signature verification on your Windows 8 PC so the first thing you'll want to do of course is to have a Windows 8 PC.

Now, you'll want to point your mouse to the bottom right corner of the screen. This brings out the charms menu see that? Yes, so we have this so you select Settings, go to Power. Now, this is the very important part. You hold down the shift button on your keyboard. Press it and keep holding it down. While holding down the shift button, select Restart and just keep holding down the shift button and once it starts restarting or shows this screen, you can release the shift button.

Alright, so we are in the advanced menu right now so what you just select is Troubleshoot Advanced Options - Startup settings. Now, what we are after is this Disable drivers signature enforcement. This is what we are basically after so just select Restart. It's from this same place you can boot into Safe mode, Restore to last working configuration and the rest. Its like your F8 on your Windows 7 PC but for Windows 8 you have to go through a number of extra steps. So at this point, you just tap 7.

The option we're after is to disable driver signature enforcement that is option 7 so you just tap 7 on your keyboard so Windows 8 is going to reboot and the next time it.. once it boots now it's going to boot with driver signature check disabled so you can go ahead and install your unsigned drivers. So I''ll just stand by for it to boot.
This post was last modified: 18-11-2023, 10:25 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
donsuly
donsuly
donsuly
27-11-2014, 10:41 PM
goood evening. i tried the one for win7 but was not successful. after pressing win+R and typed gpedit.msc i got an error message saying "windows cannot find gpedit.msc, make sure u type d name correctly and try again". pls is there another way?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
27-11-2014, 11:42 PM
donsuly goood evening. i tried the one for win7 but was not successful. after pressing win+R and typed gpedit.msc i got an error message saying  "windows cannot find gpedit.msc, make sure u type d name correctly and try again". pls is there another way?
use the normal search box that appears when you press the windows button or  click the start menu

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
donsuly
donsuly
donsuly
27-11-2014, 11:50 PM
(27-11-2014, 11:42 PM)hovatek
donsuly goood evening. i tried the one for win7 but was not successful. after pressing win+R and typed gpedit.msc i got an error message saying  "windows cannot find gpedit.msc, make sure u type d name correctly and try again". pls is there another way?
use the normal search box that appears when you press the windows button or  click the start menu

i have done that too but it said no item match your search
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
28-11-2014, 12:00 AM

donsul i have done that too but it said no item match your search

Windows 7 isnt so strict with this driver signature verification thing so dont worry. go ahead and install your drivers 

Note!
cezeudu
cezeudu
cezeudu
05-05-2015, 10:00 PM
(27-11-2014, 11:50 PM)donsuly
(27-11-2014, 11:42 PM)hovatek

i have done that too but it said no item match your search

You are probably using Windows 7 Home Premium which has a lot of restrictions on certain features of the OS (I have same problem; right click computer icon and click "properties" then check the windows version to confirm).

I tried searching using *.msc and got the gpedit.msc, however when I opened it, it reported error that it could not add snap-ins to the console.

In sum, I believe the restrictions on 'Home basic and Home Premium' prevents the usage of the group policy editor
maudmcok
maudmcok
maudmcok
13-07-2015, 10:51 AM
HI hovatek i have my methode for disable driver signature verification in Windows 7,8 & 10
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
haftomtech
haftomtech
haftomtech
13-09-2015, 06:11 PM
hi i did all the steps but it's not work, it's keep asking me.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
14-09-2015, 04:20 AM
(13-09-2015, 06:11 PM)haftomtech hi i did all the steps but it's not work, it's keep asking me.

which OS?

Note!
Taryehmiseh
Taryehmiseh
Taryehmiseh
Enthusiastic Member
14-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Hey!!! Hovatek after doing this stuff my laptop blacked out
Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next