Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to use ADB to backup Unisoc / Spreadtrum (SPD) firmware
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to use ADB to backup Unisoc / Spreadtrum (SPD) firmware

[Tutorial] How to use ADB to backup Unisoc / Spreadtrum (SPD) firmware

Pages (9): 1 2 3 4 59 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
18-11-2014, 12:00 AM

This is a step-by-step guide on how to backup a Spreadtrum Android phone's firmware using adb. Its important you backup your firmware before making further modifications so you have something to revert to should your phone get bricked.

Requirements

Steps to backup a Spreadtrum Android phone using ADB

1. Download BackupTools.tar and copy it to the same directory as adb.exe
  2. Launch ADB, type the commands below and press enter after each command

Code:

adb push backuptools.tar /data/local/tmp
    adb shell
    su -c mount -o rw,remount rootfs /
    su -c "tar -xvpf /data/local/tmp/backuptools.tar"
    su -c "./mkbackup.sh"

3. x means extract ; v means list files as extracted ; f means the name of the archive (file to be extracted) appears next ; p means retain permission 
  4. All partitions on the phone will be saved to the backup directory on the phone's memory card

Error messages and fixes

• If you get  "User unallowed: Operation not permitted" in ADB then go to the phone and set ADB to Allow in the Super user application (the name might vary depending on your rooting method)
  • If you get "tar: can't remove old file ***: read-only file system" then ensure to run the remount command above properly
  • If you get "sh: applet not found" then install Busybox Installer (Jrummy) instead of Busybox (Stericson)

Important Notice
This post was last modified: 08-10-2019, 09:54 PM by hovatek.
Attached Files
.tar
backuptools.tar
Size: 49.5 KB / Downloads: 1,975

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
hercege
hercege
hercege
Enthusiastic Member
05-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Good day Sir....
Am a member on ur site so i hv a problem backing up my itel it1452.... After a long surfing i stumbled on a post on ur site.... Concerning how to make backup on spreadtrum device.... I succeeded in all steps except d last one (su - c ". /mkbackup.sh") it sae's No such File or Directory.... I just nid ur help pls....
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
06-04-2015, 12:30 PM
(05-04-2015, 09:15 PM)hercege Good day Sir....
Am a member on ur site so i hv a problem backing  up my itel it1452.... After a long surfing i stumbled on a post on ur site.... Concerning how to make backup on spreadtrum device.... I succeeded in all steps except d last one (su - c ". /mkbackup.sh") it sae's No such File or Directory.... I just nid ur help pls....

start from the beginning and tell me the response you get after each command

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
hercege
hercege
hercege
Enthusiastic Member
06-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Others are successful only the last code..... Saes no such file or Directory.....
hercege
hercege
hercege
Enthusiastic Member
12-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Help me sir
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
12-04-2015, 08:03 PM
(12-04-2015, 07:51 PM)hercege Help me sir
i asked for the response after each command

Note!
gsmhospital
gsmhospital
gsmhospital
16-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Hi,
I tried to backup an Itel It1403, I got everything right up to the point where I have to type the command code
su -c "./mkbackup.sh"

The screen shot of the response is attached with this reply.
Please I would like to know where I get it wrong.
Attached Files
.jpg
IMG-20150413-00113.jpg
Size: 169.79 KB / Downloads: 207
gsmhospital
gsmhospital
gsmhospital
16-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Am waiting for your reply please.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
16-04-2015, 07:00 PM
(16-04-2015, 04:55 PM)gsmhospital Hi,
I tried to backup an Itel It1403, I got everything right up to the point where I have to type the command code
su -c "./mkbackup.sh"

The screen shot of the response is attached with this reply.
Please I would like to know where I get it wrong.

you're supposed to press enter after each command. not seeing much of a response here

Note!
Don4418
Don4418
Don4418
Techie Member
09-07-2015, 01:26 PM

(18-11-2014, 12:00 AM)hovatek This guide is for Spreadtrum (e.g Itel, Old Tecno etc) Android phones.

Requirement

* PC
* Rooted Spreadtrum phone with sufficient SD card storage space
* Install Spreadtrum drivers on PC using this guide @ http://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-827.html
* Setup ADB on the PC using this guide @ http://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-588.html 
* Enable ADB detect the Spreadtrum phone using this guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-2137.html 
* Install Busybox (Stericson) on the phone

Procedure

* Download BackupTools.tar and copy it to the same directory as adb.exe
* Launch ADB, type the commands below and press enter after each command

Code:

adb push backuptools.tar /data/local/tmp
adb shell
su -c "./mkbackup.sh"

* x means extract ; v means list files as extracted ; f means the name of the archive (file to be extracted) appears next ; p means retain permission 

All partitions on the phone will be saved to the backup directory on the phone's memory card

Error messages and fixes

* If you get  "User unallowed: Operation not permitted" in ADB then go to the phone and set ADB to Allow in the Super user application (the name might vary depending on your rooting method)
* If you get "tar: can't remove old file ***: read-only file system" then ensure to run the remount command above properly
* If you get "sh: applet not found" then install Busybox Installer (Jrummy) instead of Busybox (Stericson)

Hi Hovatek,
I tried doing a backup for an itel it1452 but after the last command it gave me an error which says "sh: applet not found". So I followed your instruction to install Busybox Installer (Jrummy) and started the process all over. All the commands ended up fine except the last one which gave the following output: shell@scx15_sp7715ea:/ $ su -c "./mkbackup.sh"
su -c "./mkbackup.sh"
dd: can't open '/proc/mtd': No such file or directory
grep: firmware.info: No such file or directory
shell@scx15_sp7715ea:/ $

Please help me solve this. I am attaching the full screenshot.
Thanks.
Attached Files
.jpg
Backup screenshot.JPG
Size: 70.79 KB / Downloads: 115
Pages (9): 1 2 3 4 59 Next